Selby to Yarmouth Train 1950's / 60's

waggy

I was left by a good friend a wooden slot in type Destination Board originally from Selby Station, it is painted in BR. NE Tangerine and lettered Brough, Ferriby, Hessle and Hull.

What is more interesting is that it has been overpainted  the original  Destinations been Gainsborough, Spalding, March, Norwich and Yarmouth.

I would be grateful if anyone has any information about this train did it originate from say York, Hull or Newcastle, was it  summer only, when did it stop running, etc.

Thank you in advance.

Graham

• RMweb Premium

York Boys Club used to arrange holidays for youth club members. In 1969 (summer) we went from York to Great Yarmouth, for a 2-week holiday at the Maddison Holiday Camp at Hemsby (now run by Pontins I believe). We caught the Newcastle - Gt Yarmouth train at York. From memory the train from Newcastle was hauled by an EE Type 3 (Cl. 37 - TOPS hadn't yet materialised at that time). Although I wasn't aware of the line names at the time, we came off the ECML after Doncaster and took the route through Gainsborough, Lincoln, Spalding etc., and had a loco change at Whitemoor Yard to a Brush Type 2 (Cl. 31) and then to Norwich and Gt Yarmouth. Can't remember seeing a destination board posted on Selby station, but then at 12 years old and going on holiday for the first time without my parents I was in a different world and didn't notice such things - sad to say.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly Pontins Hembsby closed down several years ago, no one else has taken it on and the vandals are doing their stuff.. several fires etc..

Edited by TheQ

2 hours ago, iands said:

York Boys Club used to arrange holidays for youth club members. In 1969 (summer) we went from York to Great Yarmouth, for a 2-week holiday at the Maddison Holiday Camp at Hemsby (now run by Pontins I believe). We caught the Newcastle - Gt Yarmouth train at York. From memory the train from Newcastle was hauled by an EE Type 3 (Cl. 37 - TOPS hadn't yet materialised at that time). Although I wasn't aware of the line names at the time, we came off the ECML after Doncaster and took the route through Gainsborough, Lincoln, Spalding etc., and had a loco change at Whitemoor Yard to a Brush Type 2 (Cl. 31) and then to Norwich and Gt Yarmouth. Can't remember seeing a destination board posted on Selby station, but then at 12 years old and going on holiday for the first time without my parents I was in a different world and didn't notice such things - sad to say.

Thank you Ian, i started spotting in 1967 and sadly never went on the line between Spalding and March, although i went round March shed on an organised visit in the early 70's. I still call the engines  as they were  pre Tops. Sadly never took much notice of infrastructure etc in them days just wanted the engine number.

Regards. Graham

Edited by waggy
add more

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Sadly Pontins Hembsby closed down several years ago, no one else has taken it on and the vandals are doing their stuff.. several fires etc..

Sad to hear. I guess peoples "holiday preferences" have changed over the years and the Butlin's/Pontin's type holidays is a shrinking market these days. I can say that thoroughly enjoyed the holiday and tried (unsuccessfully) to persuade my parents that that type of holiday "was the future". I remember my dad being particularly uncomplimentary towards the suggestion! Just to digress a little further, the following two years the YBC arranged holidays at another Maddison's Holiday Camp, this time at Littlestones in Kent. All the way by train from York, across London on the tube and then from Hythe on the RH&DR to Littlestones. I recall a number of holiday camps on the route that were served admirably by the RH&DR - such happy days - just wish I'd taken more notice of the railways (all kinds) back then.

Edited by iands
  • Like 1

There were a number of summer services in that direction during the late 1960s. 

1N48 was the 0800 Colchester to Newcastle

1N50 was the 1018 SO Lowestoft to York

1N74 was the 1038 Great Yarmouth to York

16 hours ago, russ p said:

I believe there was a summer Saturday Yarmouth from Newcastle into the 1980s

Yes Russ I think you're right. My dad has talked of catching this in the 1970s from Newcastle to Yarmouth to visit family in Norfolk. It was often Class 37 hauled if I recall his tale correctly.  

• Like 1

On 20/03/2019 at 02:03, south_tyne said:

Yes Russ I think you're right. My dad has talked of catching this in the 1970s from Newcastle to Yarmouth to visit family in Norfolk. It was often Class 37 hauled if I recall his tale correctly.  

Just in case anyone is interested...

I checked my facts and they travelled from Darlington to Yarmouth in 1975 and Newcastle to Yarmouth in 1980, via the joint line and in and out of Norwich. Evidently it was hauled by a Gateshead Class 40 to March, where the loco was changed for a 37. He remembers it ran well into the '80s. 

Edited by south_tyne
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 13/05/2019 at 17:56, 27016 said:

Occasionally the Great Yarmouth to Newcastle would also produce a class 40 forward from Norwich, as the train was diagrammed for a March crew out of Norwich. The booked loco diagram was off a Saturday morning light engine movement from Ipswich to Norwich. 

The workings of both trains are well documented on 'a another' well known diesel forum and this website is also well worth checking out -  http://www.thebashingyears.co.uk/

Thanks that's really useful. I am interested to learn more given where I am from (the North East) and where I have lots of family and have spent many happy holidays (East Anglia). 

Pardon my ignorance, but to which "well known diesel forum" do you refer to?

5 hours ago, 27016 said:

Hi south_tyne,

The forum in question is this one -

http://www.wnxxforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=22

You will need to register and sign in, but a very useful source of information from 'back in the day!'

Regards

Mark

Thanks very much that's great, I will get myself registered. I love a bit of East Anglian '70s diesel action. Sadly in my time it has mostly been sprinters and the like, although the treat of class 37s, and even a while ago class 31s, to Yarmouth and Lowestoft are great memories. My aunt used to live right beside the level crossing at Lingwood, which was fantastic as a lad! Happy days. We will have to make the most of the last few days of the 37s this year before they disappear.  

7 hours ago, 27016 said:

Gen I have is that crew trainning on the new units is running behind schedule and use of T&T 37's on the 'short set' will continue until an unspecified date in August - subject to the usual caveats.

Great. If that is the case then I should get one final chance to see them as I'll probably get time to squeeze in another trip down to Norfolk over the summer.