Quorn Wagon Group

Quorn Wagon

• RMweb Premium

To echo the above Test Car 2 is looking good - I've always liked the Blue / Red livery.

On a side note at the recent model event it was good to see the vans parked up looking fresh - it's nice to notice that care is being taken of the rolling stock that may not normally be 'in service', unlike things like coaches that get daily use.

It often feels to me that wagons etc are put to one side for use as storage space or as much longer-term projects because they don't help toward generating revenue.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you come to one of the Goods galas or other gala events, the freight stock really comes into its own and at recent events it has been great to see and hear the bauxite liveried vans in traffic, freshly painted, as well as the windcutter mineral wagons and mixed freight stock. The Quorn wagon group are amazingly productive.  I don't think any other preserved line has this amount of operational freight stock.

Dava

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Great to see a container acquired to sit on a ConFlat after restoration. A good option to replace wooden containers which fall apart!

• Agree 1

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:17, Dava said:

If you come to one of the Goods galas or other gala events, the freight stock really comes into its own and at recent events it has been great to see and hear the bauxite liveried vans in traffic, freshly painted, as well as the windcutter mineral wagons and mixed freight stock. The Quorn wagon group are amazingly productive.  I don't think any other preserved line has this amount of operational freight stock.

Dava

Definitely- Having attended several GC gala events in the last couple of years, I'm always impressed by the freight demonstrations, and the quantity, variety and condition of the wagons used.

I've just been reading Chris Leigh's column in the latest Model Rail, talking about his recent visit to Didcot, and his closing paragraph:, in relation to the condition of their historic wagon collection:

"One can understand the need to concentrate resources on the locomotives which are the centre's 'bread and butter' particularly as the vital resource of skilled manpower is dwindling. The same situation exists across preservation centres in throughout the UK and one wonders how in future the conservation and restoration of the all-important but less 'exciting' rolling stock will be managed. Or will there even be a need for these objects of inspiration once the generation to which they are relevant is gone?"

I reckon the Quorn Wagon team are giving a pretty good illustration of exactly how it should be done!

• Agree 2

Advanced issues found

10 hours ago, Invicta said:

I reckon the Quorn Wagon team are giving a pretty good illustration of exactly how it should be done!

Thank you for your comment.  Our mantra has always been to keep them running and looking the part.  We are a small group and for what the vehicles do in preservation it makes no sense to try and restore the vehicles to as new.  Preventative maintenance and repair as necessary using modern materials and using modern techniques. 
This weeks update:
Click Here

• Like 1

Hi, quick question, as I'm trying to 'preservationise' two Hornby CAR 20t vans, and wanted to ask about the two GCR BR vans

Is B954268 actually fitted with a vacuum cylinder? It is marked on the group website as CAV, as opposied to your other van which is CAR.

https://quornwagonandwagon.co.uk/b954268/

If it is fitted, is it a 21 inch or 18 inch vacuum cylinder.

Thanks

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Hi, quick question, as I'm trying to 'preservationise' two Hornby CAR 20t vans, and wanted to ask about the two GCR BR vans

Is B954268 actually fitted with a vacuum cylinder? It is marked on the group website as CAV, as opposied to your other van which is CAR.

https://quornwagonandwagon.co.uk/b954268/

If it is fitted, is it a 21 inch or 18 inch vacuum cylinder.

Thanks

B954268 is vacuum fitted, and is one of few that was vacuum fitted since build. To the best of my knowledge, it has a 21" cylinder but can check tomorrow.  Our other BR brake van, B954546, is also vacuum fitted and air piped, hence its CAR classification.

On 02/08/2019 at 21:21, rloades said:

B954268 is vacuum fitted, and is one of few that was vacuum fitted since build. To the best of my knowledge, it has a 21" cylinder but can check tomorrow.  Our other BR brake van, B954546, is also vacuum fitted and air piped, hence its CAR classification.

Thanks. Any info on the cylinders and pictures would be helfpul.

If B954546 wouldn't that make it a CAW (vacuum braked, air piped) rather than CAR (through air and vac pipes). Was this cylinder fitted in preservation - the picture on the Van's home page shows a cylinder and V hangers, but the earlier Vintage Carraiges Trust picture shows nothing on the underframe

11 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

If B954546 wouldn't that make it a CAW (vacuum braked, air piped) rather than CAR (through air and vac pipes). Was this cylinder fitted in preservation - the picture on the Van's home page shows a cylinder and V hangers, but the earlier Vintage Carraiges Trust picture shows nothing on the underframe

Yes B954546 is a CAW although this designation was not carried by the vehicle in service having been CAR.  This is the main reason we do not apply the TOPS codes to the vehicles as what is should be and what it was realy tie together.
It is vacuum fitted and Air Piped.  although during its time as a CAR the cylinder may have been blanked off or removed. 

This weeks update
Please Click

3 hours ago, Quorn Wagon said:

Yes B954546 is a CAW although this designation was not carried by the vehicle in service having been CAR.  This is the main reason we do not apply the TOPS codes to the vehicles as what is should be and what it was realy tie together.
It is vacuum fitted and Air Piped.  although during its time as a CAR the cylinder may have been blanked off or removed. 

This weeks update
Please Click

Thanks for the info.

So 546 is Vac fitted, air piped (what a versatile vehicle) while 268 is just fitted?

Any further info on the cylinder sizes fitted to both these vehicles?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had a look around Test Car 2 today, it certainly stands out in it's fresh paintwork. Much better than how it was looking in the fading Serco livery.

Sadly didn't get time to read all of the info boards or listen in on how things work as I had to make an incoming train.

I can't think of many places where you can get 10 diesels in a single day (20, 25, 25, 33, 37, 45, 47, 50, 101 DMU and a Warship).

Keep up the excellent work.

Edited by maq1988
Forgot to count the two Class 25s, oh and mistook a 101 for a 108!
  • Like 1