Quorn Wagon Group

Quorn Wagon

• RMweb Premium

'Tanks' for the update!

It'll be good to have a tank rake. The yellow of the Shell tank certainly stands out between the sea of black.

Edited by maq1988
Y for y? Why, because Y should be y!

Has the Quorn group seen Heritage Railways this month I wonder? On p13 there is a pic of a lovely Saxa Salt wagon restored in the 1980s, along with a present day pic. The latter shows it in a woeful weathered condition, and up for sale. It is located at the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway. I 'd like to think it would make a good addition to your rake of wagons?

Stewart

26 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Has the Quorn group seen Heritage Railways this month I wonder? On p13 there is a pic of a lovely Saxa Salt wagon restored in the 1980s, along with a present day pic. The latter shows it in a woeful weathered condition, and up for sale. It is located at the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway. I 'd like to think it would make a good addition to your rake of wagons?

Stewart

That wagon was one of 3 which were advised as being for disposal at the C&W on the National Preservation Forum before Christmas. If it had been in somewhat better condition, then it could well have been of interest to another preservation site, but that is going to take an awful lot of money to restore judging by the photo linked to from the NP announcement.

It looks like it has a wooden underframe as well, which won't help.

This is the link that was posted there..

https://twitter.com/CWRailway/status/1337653508372389889?s=20

"Weathered" is something of an understatement!

Quite a distinctive vehicle - I've still got my Hornby Dublo one.......

Edited by Johann Marsbar
added link
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/01/2021 at 12:03, Quorn Wagon said:

A return to our vehicle profile series, this one by Dave Bower looks at Brakevans

Click Here

I should have looked here yesterday as it would have saved me nipping out to borrow a brakevan to look at the detail i want to add to one i'm making. The wagons at the GC are amazing. We are lucky to be able to see such variety.

What did the guard use for illumination inside the brakevan? I'm thinking of the period 1970's to the end of unfitted traffic. The journal would need to be filled in regardless of time of day etc and numbers of wagon to be cut out during the journey would have to be identified.

Keep up the good work. I hope to be able to visit the GC and other railways before too long.

7 hours ago, LNERGE said:

I should have looked here yesterday as it would have saved me nipping out to borrow a brakevan to look at the detail i want to add to one i'm making. The wagons at the GC are amazing. We are lucky to be able to see such variety.

What did the guard use for illumination inside the brakevan? I'm thinking of the period 1970's to the end of unfitted traffic. The journal would need to be filled in regardless of time of day etc and numbers of wagon to be cut out during the journey would have to be identified.

Keep up the good work. I hope to be able to visit the GC and other railways before too long.

The guard would have had their hand lamp for illumination inside the van. In fact, our LMS brake has a handy bracket fitted to the wall next to the desk to hang the lamp from its side handle.

@Quorn Wagon should be able to give you more detail though.

• Like 1