Quorn Wagon Group

Quorn Wagon

• RMweb Gold

Whilst you say there isn't too much you can say about routine maintenance, would it be possible to include a bit about what you have to check and how you know if it's in spec or not - such as what the source of the documentation is? I'd find that quite interesting :)

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Whilst you say there isn't too much you can say about routine maintenance, would it be possible to include a bit about what you have to check and how you know if it's in spec or not - such as what the source of the documentation is? I'd find that quite interesting :)

Seconded, a brief write up of what you guys do for the checks etc would be quite interesting.

Cheers

James

We use 3 sources for our guidence.

BR 1183 - Regulations for repairing wagons

BR 11819 - Regulations for the Guidance of Train Examiners and Oilers

BR11889 - Planned preventive maintenance schedule for BR freight stock and departmental vehicles.

For each vehicle we conduct a condition survey looking at the following;

Wheelset

Axle boxes

Suspension 

Underkeeps 

Underframe

Brake blocks

Brake hear

Brake safety loops

Handbrake

Brake cylinders

Brake hoses

Release chords

Buffers

Couplings

Drawhiok

Lamp brackets

Steps

Label clips

Door levers

Doors

Bodywork

Load

Handrails

Roof coverings

Chains

Ride height

And finally record any other details that stand out to us as requiring attention.  We then of course rectify remove or record as applicable.

We are not prepared to detail particulars as we are not an engineering authority and do not wish to be used as a source of technical information.  That is down to a particular railways safety case and how they wish to manage there own engineering processes.

We are happy to discuss privately and give advice and share our thoughts.

The GCR then provides an inderpendant assurance of our activities via there FTR examinations.

Edited by Quorn Wagon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work and update, thanks as always, the Airfix box shot is brilliant!, and the close ups for those of us building the kit.

If you carry on at this rate you'll be able to get rid of all the pesky coaches and run a proper freight railway.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If you do requests!!, any chance of a few shots of the ferry tank brake standard with a tape measure adjacent please?

Mike.

I'm sure we can sort that, I'll try and remember to take some pictures and I'll put them here next weekend.  I won't focus on the wheel so much as it doesn't have the correct wheel on at present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/04/2021 at 06:17, Enterprisingwestern said:

If you do requests!!, any chance of a few shots of the ferry tank brake standard with a tape measure adjacent please?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I didn't forget (although Matt did remind me!). If you need the photos in a higher res, let me know and I'll put them on a sharing platform and send a link.

Kind regards,

Ross

IMG_20210503_173851.jpg

IMG_20210503_173703.jpg

IMG_20210503_173710.jpg

IMG_20210503_173719.jpg

IMG_20210503_173732.jpg

IMG_20210503_173800.jpg

IMG_20210503_173836.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Thanks very much for that Ross, I think I can glean what I need to know from that, and I didn't realise there was a position indicator!

Mike.

Yes, we thought it was very similar to LMS/BR(M) handbrake standards, which have the same hook to prevent the wheel turning and the same 'Off' indicator. 

Edited by rloades
  • Informative/Useful 1