Castle Donington freight terminal.

I passed the afore-mentioned site on Thursday last whilst driving on the A50 towards Stoke. The site for the terminal itself is still bare earth, but the connecting line towards the exchange sidings had ballast spread on it, along with large stacks of seemingly second-hand sleepers. The trackwork on the exchange sidings themselves seemed to be largely complete, awaiting final ballasting.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I do hope this isn't just a rail link to satisfy the planners like the one at the nearby M&S warehouse.

I know it would be difficult to do but I think most traffic is likely to come from the Trent direction where the new terminal points towards Burton but it maybe that trains can go into the M&S terminal to run round if coming from the other direction

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, russ p said:

I do hope this isn't just a rail link to satisfy the planners like the one at the nearby M&S warehouse.

I know it would be difficult to do but I think most traffic is likely to come from the Trent direction where the new terminal points towards Burton but it maybe that trains can go into the M&S terminal to run round if coming from the other direction

I thought the M&S facility, and the container terminal were one and the same?

As far as I could tell, the exchange sidings were a loop, accessible from both ends. They'd need to be laid out like this to allow containers to come from both Felixstowe and Southampton.

The M&S site is Castle Donington, while the new site is East Midlands Gateway. 

It was recently announced that Segro (the developers) have engaged Maritime Logistics as the operator of the rail terminal, so it looks like there may actually be some revenue-earning trains there.

• Informative/Useful 1