Saul Junction - Gloucestershire

gordon s

Anyone happen to see 'Escape to the Country' yesterday?

One of the houses they visited was 'Pike House' in Saul Gloucestershire which featured a large garden railway, station and workshop. From what I could see it looked to have a gauge somewhere around 4", but I'm far from an expert.

The house was originally up around the £835k mark, but had dropped to £799k when the programme was aired. Checking the web says it was removed from sale in Nov 18, so I guess it was either sold privately or not sold at all.

It looked quite a large set up. Anyone familiar with this railway?

Perhaps it's a member here.....:)

DSCF9790.jpg.1d2987f513cf564dd8230b1a4f0e63c6.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Very late to the party- I've driven on it many years ago. As said it is (was, as it's been taken up now) 5" gauge, the owner had a couple of steam engines and a couple of electrics, I suspect the latter had more use although his Polly 2-6-0T was in steam on my visit. It was basically a dog bone shape with one half around the "smart" side of the garden behind the house- around the neatly manicured lawn and passing near the swimming pool. The other half of the garden away from the house was more wild with mature trees and you did actually disappear into the woods briefly. The station area and (carriage/ electrics) shed was at the back on the edge of the wooded bit. The flat crossing was the end of a spur leading across to the driveway where an access ramp had been build to ease unloading from visiting cars. Some of the curves were reasonably tight, I visited with a friend and his 1500 Pannier was fine but his Bulleid pacific less so!

There's a video on The Steam Workshop's youtube channel, I think they bought some of the kit when the line was taken up- seem to remember they took a little saddle tank around it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1