Threads appearing multiple times in View New Content

I get an odd error when I click on the new "View New Content" link. Many topics appear multiple times with different time stamps. Is there something wrong with my settings? It is annoying having to go past ththreads.jpg.bb06463a8d978ac94649cec9f7c140e8.jpge same posts multiple times to get to new content. The screen shot below shows the same thread appearing 3 times in just 6 rows. :(

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It's a function of the new version I think. What we software developers call a "feature" not a bug. I guess it's down to the continuous nature of the display with the "Show more" at the end of the list rather than page by page that we had in the old version. 

• RMweb Premium

It’s because it’s showing all replies, not just threads, so there are 3 replies in one thread in the last 6 posts.

Narrowing the content type to “threads” simply omits status updates etc. You may be able to create a custom stream which only has one ‘notification’ per thread, but it’s then circuitous to get to it. I agree it’s a massive pain when there’s a dominant thread you’re not interested in. 

Edited by njee20
  • Agree 5

It's an absolute pain.

All I want to see is whether a topic has been updated, not having to scroll through 20 pages of updates when it used to be only 6 . Not all of us can just sit in front of a computer all day watching as posts arrive.

The sooner we are given the option to go back to single thread statements regarding updates the better.

Quite a few times in the last month I have nearly given up bothering with RMweb, solely because of this PITA.

• Like 2
  • Agree 17

I agree with Flood, it is a real pain to have to wade through multiple posts on topics that I am not interested in.

Can we please go back to the old method of presentation of threads / topics as opposed to individual posts.

It is a waste of so much valuable modelling time!

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Flood said:

It's an absolute pain.

All I want to see is whether a topic has been updated, not having to scroll through 20 pages of updates when it used to be only 6 . Not all of us can just sit in front of a computer all day watching as posts arrive.

The sooner we are given the option to go back to single thread statements regarding updates the better.

Quite a few times in the last month I have nearly given up bothering with RMweb, solely because of this PITA.

4 hours ago, Gordon A said:

I agree with Flood, it is a real pain to have to wade through multiple posts on topics that I am not interested in.

Can we please go back to the old method of presentation of threads / topics as opposed to individual posts.

It is a waste of so much valuable modelling time!

Gordon A

The solution here is to 'Ignore' the threads you don't want - click on one of the entries, go to the top of the page and click on the 'Ignore this topic' button. It's the reddish coloured one between the 'Start new topic' and 'Reply to this topic' buttons. That will remove the thread in question from further results. Of course, that won't stop multiple entires for the threads you DO want, but that will be much more palatable!

You can restore ignored threads in 'Account Settings' (dropped down from your name at top right) - 'Settings', then on the left side of the page, 'Ignored topics'. Listed there will bethe topics you have ignored (my list is 180 pages! long).

Hope this helps,

Dave

• Agree 1

• Moderators

I have noticed occasional topics listed twice, not 6 times, 20 times of whatever. If you are getting a topic appearing once for every reply look at your Activity filters and Show me > Items only. This has been covered several times.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DIW said:

The solution here is to 'Ignore' the threads you don't want - click on one of the entries, go to the top of the page and click on the 'Ignore this topic' button. It's the reddish coloured one between the 'Start new topic' and 'Reply to this topic' buttons. That will remove the thread in question from further results. Of course, that won't stop multiple entires for the threads you DO want, but that will be much more palatable!

But you’d have to do this on hundreds of threads, which is crazy. I don’t necessarily want to ignore the threads either, just don’t want to see an entry for each reply. 

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I have noticed occasional topics listed twice, not 6 times, 20 times of whatever. If you are getting a topic appearing once for every reply look at your Activity filters and Show me > Items only. This has been covered several times.

I don’t understand this? I’ve tried creating myriad custom streams which then require me to go through 4 tiers of menu to access, and no setting means I only see a single entry for threads that are updated. 

Meanwhile there’s a handy button on the toolbar which shows each reply individually, so usually the first ‘page’ includes at least 4 or 5 duplicates, often with multiple posts. 

Edit: currently in my “new content” accessed via the header menu I’ve got 2 replies to “class 800”, two for “Ayr Road”, 3 for “cutoff to break steam engine”, two for “Rails/NRM announce”, two for “Barry slips” and two for “a nod to Brent”.

Edit 2: now four replies to “Wright Writes” in the top 5 replies, plus another one slightly further down the page. 

Edited by njee20
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Signature? I’m on mobile, gizza clue. I can’t even find the link to show desktop view, nor does the native Safari request work!

Have you tried the View New Content link in the My activity stream drop-down? If that suits you can make it your default stream by clicking on the small tick icon to the right of the stream name.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Andy,

Please can you expand on this instruction, because I don't understand and it would transform my RMweb experience? - I see every post as a new line in VNC (see Early risers below) , 

In fairness to the OP there has been so much content about the site change, that useful information about how to improve the view has been swamped!

Thanks,

Jon

image.png.afa48a2522d322e1e085eb42b2008163.png

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, jonhall said:

Andy,

Please can you expand on this instruction, because I don't understand and it would transform my RMweb experience? - I see every post as a new line in VNC (see Early risers below) , 

In fairness to the OP there has been so much content about the site change, that useful information about how to improve the view has been swamped!

Thanks,

Jon

image.png.afa48a2522d322e1e085eb42b2008163.png

I've done it for you Jon. Try the View New Content link at the top right I've saved for you. I adjusted the first Show Me filter and selected Content Items Only.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've done it for you Jon. Try the View New Content link at the top right I've saved for you. I adjusted the first Show Me filter and selected Content Items Only.

Is it possible for that to be the default for everyone, please?

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Thanks Andy, but either I'm being thick (certainly not to be ruled out) or its not working..

just to be sure, pressing this button

image.png.f9a60532d375c24f19f192322109b561.png

still gives Little Muddle twice... and I'm rather hoping that it might be possible to end up with one line for each thread.

image.png.cb20e5c35b21dba748ec2e469339a625.png

Thanks,

Jon

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, jonhall said:

still gives Little Muddle twice... and I'm rather hoping that it might be possible to end up with one line for each thread.

There could be a bug there which needs fixing. Click on the link in my signature and save that as your default and try that.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

There could be a bug there which needs fixing. 

Fixed.

10 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Is it possible for that to be the default for everyone, please?

That should be the case now - try the link at the top right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Thank you for this answer Andy, it seems to have done the trick.

Quote: "This has been covered several times". Sorry Andy, this is the first thread I've found where this has been mentioned in the title. It could well have been covered somewhere else but I'm pretty sure that I would never have been able to find it.

Wright's Writes was the main topic for multiple entries and I did actually say 6 pages of unread content compared to 20 pages.

Edited by Flood
  • Agree 1

Just to clarify a point for others:

If you click on the thread title when you have the items only settings it will take you to the very first post, if you click on the number of mins/hours since posted it will take you to that actual post.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That does indeed appear to work thanks, but I've not got a shortcut to it anymore (on desktop), am I being stupid...? I now have to go into Activity ->  My Activity Streams -> VNC

Edit: it's back, sneaky hotfixes going on?! Thanks for resolving, immeasurably better!

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, njee20 said:

Signature? I’m on mobile, gizza clue. I can’t even find the link to show desktop view, nor does the native Safari request work!

It is often found as one of the listed options if in your browser on a mobile you click the dot dot dot icon. However, I find it often makes no difference on the site in question even if you request the desktop.