Threads appearing multiple times in View New Content

• RMweb Premium

You mean the hamburger menu? Three horizontal lines top right of the page.

It's more commonly found at the bottom of the page, used to be on the old RMWeb. In Safari on iOS you can request the desktop site by holding the refresh button, but it doesn't always work, such as here. There's certainly not obvious way to retrieve the desktop view on mobile, just been sniffing around on desktop using the mobile emulator in Chrome.

I think the reason this has flummoxed people is that the 'Content items only' option doesn't do what it says. In fact it's not clear what it means at all. I'd never have thought to try it before reading this thread, but I'm glad I did.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Thank you Andy, I have followed your advice using the link in your footer.

Gordon A

Me too. It is a great pity that is not the default option. Thanks for the tip.

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, njee20 said:

It is now the default, and is much improved. If I'm being hyper critical I now want to click on the topic name and be taken to the first unread reply :D

Click on the spot or star to the left of the title link and you will.

• Informative/Useful 1

There's always one, isn't there?

I quite like the multiple replies arrangement, because it shows me which threads are 'lively' i.e. lots of replies in the last few hours. 

Being the inquisitive sort, I like to look at those threads and see what all the fuss is about. 

I've seen this before, but just learned to live with it, but this is a variation I hadn't seen...

2135215213_Screenshot2019-03-21at17_45_41.png.1c0fb10e285448727515e340ebdd2630.png

A new topic on Vacuum track ballasting 19 minutes ago, which then reappeared in VNC 17 minutes ago. The subject is not in two different topic groups, nor has it had any replies, yet appears twice.

Any ideas what's causing this?

9 hours ago, njee20 said:

That does indeed appear to work thanks, but I've not got a shortcut to it anymore (on desktop), am I being stupid...? I now have to go into Activity ->  My Activity Streams -> VNC

Edit: it's back, sneaky hotfixes going on?! Thanks for resolving, immeasurably better!

but my button has gone - however the only seeing each thread once is still a HUGE improvement - thanks Andy!

Jon

This is hopeless.

As above all I get is every reply to every topic, also clicking on any topic gets the very first entry, not the last unread item.  This seems to have changed in the last day or two, it was giving the last entry.

Can we have the old system back please?.

If we are stuck with it please give a idiots guide, one step at a time how to use the selection options and more importantly save them and reopen when returning.  I  have tried various without success.

Note: using a PC, I understand the revision was to work better with other systems.

Pete

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, IWCR said:

This is hopeless.

As above all I get is every reply to every topic, also clicking on any topic gets the very first entry, not the last unread item

No you don't. I have checked your account and clicking on View New Content gives one entry per topic and clicking on the spot before the topic title takes you to the first unread post.

• RMweb Premium

He’s not pressing the black spot in front of title. I had same problem. For 2 days i’ve Gone right to beginning of thread without realising if I hit the black spot it took me to first unread post

13 hours ago, Flood said:

Just to clarify a point for others:

If you click on the thread title when you have the items only settings it will take you to the very first post, if you click on the number of mins/hours since posted it will take you to that actual post.

This does the same as clicking on the star/large dot.

I'm gonna keep repeating this until people stop asking.

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Flood said:

Just to clarify a point for others:

If you click on the thread title when you have the items only settings it will take you to the very first post, if you click on the number of mins/hours since posted it will take you to that actual post.

And was how you did it on the old version, thread title = first post; time shown - last post in the thread.

• Thanks 1

On 21/03/2019 at 19:35, jonhall said:

but my button has gone - however the only seeing each thread once is still a HUGE improvement - thanks Andy!

Jon

To close a loop here, I've just discovered that I can get my 'view new content' button back by making the 'activity stream' my default - and for those who haven't worked that out its the green tick in the bottom right of my screen capture below

image.png.8b634ef1505dd8e950b134ff9794d710.png

Hooray

Now working as one entry per topic only, thanks for the revision or for someone amending my selection criteria.  From the start of the new system till my last visit on Thursday it was showing every post.

Yes as stated the black dot goes direct to last unread entry, I wasnt aware of this I had always clicked on the title, (old system and new). This was working as last entry posted until very recently but I may have done this myself trying to reconfigure things, certainly when the new system came out it was going to first entry.

Just checked through two days of updates in 30 minutes just like before, rather than hours.

Thank You

Pete

• Like 1

On 20/03/2019 at 15:08, Gordon A said:

I agree with Flood, it is a real pain to have to wade through multiple posts on topics that I am not interested in.

Can we please go back to the old method of presentation of threads / topics as opposed to individual posts.

It is a waste of so much valuable modelling time!

Gordon A

I agree.

Gordon has defended the new RMWeb when I have criticised it.

When a long loyal user like him requests a change the boss really should act.

I am losing the will to visit the site now as it is so inefficient.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, PaulT said:

I agree.

Gordon has defended the new RMWeb when I have criticised it.

When a long loyal user like him requests a change the boss really should act.

I am losing the will to visit the site now as it is so inefficient.

Erm, I'm a bit confused?? The outcome of this thread is exactly that, and Andy implemented it days ago - well before your post - if you haven't seen the benefit then there is good news, it can be done, and if you ask nicely than perhaps Andy will help you get the view you want.

Jon

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Isambarduk
On 21/03/2019 at 08:01, AY Mod said:

Try the View New Content link at the top right I've saved for you. I adjusted the first Show Me filter and selected Content Items Only.

Is it possible to do the same for 'Content I Follow' as I am seeing multiple entries?  By clicking on 'Content I haven't read', under 'Read Status' I can remove the multiple entries - but only once; sadly, I'm back to the multiple entries next time I load the 'Content I haven't read' page.   David

Hi Andy,

I share your frustrations with either the software fixing one item and then knocking something else out, or with slow members just not getting it.

Could you, when you have a moment, please help me with my VNC as I too am getting multiple entries, but at different times. I did follow your guidance in your signature a few weeks ago when you first offered this solution.

Thanks you.

D

1497987710_RMWebSNC.JPG.f6a06b4aff7525c7704eab305710b38d.JPG

Edited by Damo666
Forgot to add a civil appreciation at the end.