Locomotionmodels show livery sample of A1 terrier 'Boxhill'

AY Mod

• Moderators

A TERRIER FROM YORKSHIRE WITH PLENTY OF BITE!

Boxhill logo.jpg

Locomotion Models are pleased to release a pre-production image of the forthcoming A1 Class 0-6-0T which were known as ‘Terriers’. This OO Scale model has been produced in partnership with Rails of Sheffield and manufacturer Dapol Ltd.

No. 82 ‘Boxhill’ was designed by William Stroudley for The London, Brighton & South Coast Railway being built at Brighton in 1880. It carries its original name and number as preserved as part of the National Collection and currently on display at the Railway Museum, York.

Finished in LB&SCR Stroudley's Improved Engine Green livery which it currently carries, the model will be available later this year £110. The model is OO Scale and is DCC READY and is being produced by Dapol as an Exclusive Edition model as part of ‘The National Collection in Miniature’ series. A factory fitted sound option will also be available for £239.00

Both DCC READY and DCC SOUND versions can be pre-ordered for a £30 deposit from www.locomotionmodels.com and will also be available over the counter at both Locomotion, Shildon and at The Railway Museum, York later this year.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

Guest Locomotion No. 3

Please remember that this is an EP sample and that some corrections will need to be made before the model goes into production.

These have been highlighted already in the thread on Terriers in the Rails of Sheffield section in Products & Trade.

We hope to have the sample on show on our stand at Alexandra Palace this weekend.

Dennis Lovett

Exclusive Models Marketing Executive

Locomotionmodels.com

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2019 at 16:22, AY Mod said:

Finished in LB&SCR Stroudley's Improved Engine Green livery which it currently carries, the model will be available later this year £110.

Following a recent Instagram post this is set to be "released this autumn"...

• 1 month later...
On 20/03/2019 at 21:39, Locomotion No. 3 said:

Please remember that this is an EP sample and that some corrections will need to be made before the model goes into production.

These have been highlighted already in the thread on Terriers in the Rails of Sheffield section in Products & Trade.

We hope to have the sample on show on our stand at Alexandra Palace this weekend.

Dennis Lovett

Locomotionmodels.com

Just to clarify please

As per a number of your other models, will there be any difference livery-wise between your version of Boxhill and Rails' version of Boxhill e.g. will yours be a hi-gloss version, or will they be absolutely identical  ?

Thanks

Guest Locomotion No. 3

We are pleased to share below images of the livery sample recently received from the factory.

Please note the model shown is a sample from the factory and is not the final production model (any errors or issues have been reported to the factory as noted on the Rails of Sheffield thread relating to the range of A1 / A1X  models being produced by the Dapol / Rails of Sheffield / Locomotion Models partnership).

'Boxhill' can be preordered for a £30 deposit through the Locomotion Models website at www.locomotionmodels.com

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion Models

Boxhill.jpg

Edited by Locomotion No. 3
literal

• 4 months later...
Guest Locomotion No. 3

LB&SCR LIVERIED TERRIER LOCOMOTIVES

AN UPDATE FROM LOCOMOTION MODELS & RAILS OF SHEFFIELD

8f649cd4-56ce-42ac-b83d-3056d43842d4.png

As expected, we have now received the advance production livery samples of the LB&SCR versions that were air freighted to us during the Christmas /New Year holidays. These were received for final approval earlier this week before we authorised the bulk delivery to be air-freighted to us. We hope you will agree that they do look stunning and that they will be worth the wait but we do apologise sincerely for the delays. The firebox glow also adds significantly to the appeal when running smoothly on the compensated chassis.  All models now come complete with a factory fitted speaker, with simple push fit decoder fitting for those of you not ordering sound or dcc fitted. The agreement we made at the start of this project with Dapol was that we would produce museum standard, high fidelity models and at no stage have we been prepared to compromise on that despite the protracted wait. That resolve continues and we are not prepared to accept anything short of that goal

Unfortunately, a boiler band registration issue was identified on the production batch sent from the factory at Christmas which had not been present on signed off livery samples. They have therefore been rejected and new bodies are to be produced as soon as possible. This cannot be easily rectified with a fully assembled working model. Please note this applies only to the LB&SCR versions for both the Locomotionmodels and Rails of Sheffield ‘Boxhill’. The NRM version is as preserved with the shorter toolbox and some minor livery differences compared to the Rails version which is as built in service livery with the longer toolbox

Unfortunately, the requirement to do this coincides with the shut down ready for Chinese New Year (25th January until 8th February). Production will not likely recommence in full until the third week of February and we regret we are unlikely to see these particular versions until April 2020 (possibly late March).  As soon as they are ready they will be airfreighted to the UK.

We would rather delay delivery than release something that falls just short of the exacting standards we have set the manufacturer and you expect of us. We can only apologise for the disappointment that this further delay to these variants will cause.

We hope you will agree with our decision to not accept any compromises after the effort which has been put into achieving the most accurate model of a ready to run Terrier yet seen.

963b3319-f1b4-42c9-a7ec-d044f422610e.png

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion Models

• RMweb Gold

As i've said on the Rails thread many thanks for making sure the model is right before you send it out to us.  I doubt if the delay is going to be a problem for the vast majority (all?) of us buying the NRM 'Terrier' and equally I am sure we all appreciate the efforts being made to ensure that what is delivered is up to the standards we have come to expect from the NRM and which I know you are fully committed to delivering to us.  Far better to get it right than rushed out with a noticeable error.

So, again, thanks for the very clear information and explanation you have given to us.  I obviously still look forward to receiving my model but fully understand that it will be here when it arrives and not before.  And I'm sure that, as usual, you will be keeping us advised of progress when there is something to report.  And I can also understand that the factory may take a while to get back into full operation after the Chinese New Year with what seems like the inevitable movement of people between jobs that often follows that holiday.

• Agree 3

Members may wish to note some of the changes evident since the previous livery sample, as, conveniently, both pictures fall on this same page.

- The borders are no longer a light green, but darker to represent the "dark olive green" of the prototype. 

- The green is applied to the balance weights to represent the Brighton's practice of faux spokes. 

- The green is omitted from the tank filler base (and tank tops).  These are now black.

- The extraneous outer front buffer beam lamp irons have been removed (on the A1s these irons are mounted on the wingplates). 

- The cylindrical attachment at the front end of the boiler handrail (R/H side) is now correctly picked out in brass  

- The chimney cap is now copper, not brass, and is a really good fit. 

- The shed abbreviation is now on the valance.

These changes are also evident on the Rails version (in fact, I suspect that Locomotion No.3 has posted pictures of the rails version!). For me it is worth the wait to re-produce these with the lining registration issue corrected.     

Edited by Edwardian
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

… (in fact, I suspect that Locomotion No.3 has posted pictures of the rails version!). For me it is worth the wait to re-produce these with the lining registration issue corrected.     

I think and hope that you’re right! The NRM version is stated to be gloss, which was the reason for my only pre-ordered Rails/Dapol Terrier so far.

For what it’s worth, I always felt that the original Dapol Terrier was, as a model, not as good as the J94 which preceded it. The current Hornby model is a great improvement but I only have one. I shall be casting a critical eye over the Rails version but I agree that getting it right is well worth the wait. All being well, I anticipate getting a couple, perhaps three, more. At the price, it seems a bargain.

13 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I think and hope that you’re right! The NRM version is stated to be gloss, which was the reason for my only pre-ordered Rails/Dapol Terrier so far.

Hard to be sure whether you're seeing the long or short toolbox from this angle, but the shed allocation, on the front of the valance (a change I neglected to list in my, now edited, post above), is yellow on the preserved example, so I expect it will be on the NRM edition model!

20190320_161843 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators

Terrier 2 Oct 2020.jpg

YORKSHIRE TERRIER ESCAPES!

Locomotion Models are pleased to announce the arrival of their A1 Class 0-6-0T ‘Terrier’ locomotive. This OO Scale model has been produced in partnership with Rails of Sheffield and manufacturer Dapol Ltd and depicts the locomotive in its preserved form.

No. 82 ‘Boxhill’ was designed by William Stroudley for The London, Brighton & South Coast Railway being built at Brighton in 1880. It carries its original name and number as preserved as part of the National Collection and currently on display at the Railway Museum, York.

Finished in LB&SCR Stroudley's Improved Engine Green livery which it currently carries. The model is OO Scale and is DCC READY (requires NEXT-18 Decoder) and was produced by Dapol as an Exclusive Edition model as part of ‘The National Collection in Miniature’ series. The DCC READY Terrier costs £110 plus £7.50 courier delivery. A limited number of factory fitted sound locomotives are also available for £239.00 plus £7.50 courier delivery

Features include:

Diecast chassis and running plate

Detailed plastic moulded body

Flickering firebox

Many separately fitted parts

Diecast wheels with sprung centre driving wheels to give compensation providing all wheel electrical pick up and better traction

Speaker pre-fitted

DCC and sound Ready with easy access through a removable body which exposes a NEXT-18 socket

DCC Sound Fitted variants use Dapol’s own sound recording of No. 32678 on the Kent and East Sussex Railway*

Powerful 5 pole skew wound motor

*Factory sound fitted locomotives feature RealDrive braking control

Both DCC READY and DCC SOUND versions can be ordered from www.locomotionmodels.com and are available over the counter at both Locomotion, Shildon and at The Railway Museum, York.

Terrier 1 Oct 2020.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest Locomotion No. 3
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Does that mean they have arrived seeing that it says 'in stock'.  So presumably pre-orders will be despatched in the not too distant future?

Mike

Pre-orders are being processed first (subject to payment of final balance) and are being packed ready for collection by the courier company on Monday. Pre-order customers with balances to pay were contacted by email on Wednesday.

Dennis

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion Models

Guest Locomotion No. 3
5 hours ago, ianmaccormac said:

Dennis

Hi, I have sent an email as this pre-order person did not receive the email.

Thanks

Ian

Ian

I can only apologise.

I have emailed Stuart at Shildon and asked him to investigate and to contact you regarding your order.

Dennis

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion Models

• RMweb Premium

I think I should say on here that I was not expecting anything over the weekend but not only has Dennis been active on here but Stuart also contacted me by email and sorted out the so I could pay today, Sunday, and so that has all been done and I will get to go with the courier on Monday. I definitely wasn't expecting that and wish to express my thanks for such a wonderful set of people and let others know this too. Really looking forward to receiving this so am very pleased indeed.

Many thanks again,

Ian

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Well it has arrived and it was worth the wait!  I have a Hornby Leadenhall and this is far more refined in its details, shape of the dome and safety valves; front cylinder lubricators and a whole lot more. Thank you!

Cheers, Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, ianmaccormac said:

Well it has arrived and it was worth the wait!  I have a Hornby Leadenhall and this is far more refined in its details, shape of the dome and safety valves; front cylinder lubricators and a whole lot more. Thank you!

Cheers, Ian

Chimney upright? Images shown so far have shown leaning forward quite obviously 

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Chimney upright? Images shown so far have shown leaning forward quite obviously 

1466162669_BoxhillNRM.jpg.b4634b0350ac7d95d885a5884f7b8e2b.jpg

No issues. A wonderful rendition! It looks like my cab is falling back but it is just the phone camera lens! There are no issues with it, it is a stunner!

Edited by ianmaccormac
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2020 at 02:16, wainwright1 said:

The finish is not as glossy as I was expecting, in fact not a lot different to the standard version.

Ray

I don’t recall it being announced as a Gloss finish.