Locomotionmodels show livery sample of A1 terrier 'Boxhill'

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

I don’t recall it being announced as a Gloss finish. 

It was initially described as such (see below post from Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X), though the link no-longer works...

On 24/03/2018 at 15:28, stonetown said:

The NRM describes their model of Boxhill to feature a gloss finish: http://www.locomotionmodels.com/ncim-coming-soon/dapolnrm-exclusive-lbscr-a1-class-terrier-0-6-0t.htm

So apparently their Boxhills are going to be different from the ones available trough Rails or Dapol.

Guest Locomotion No. 3
6 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Is there any difference to the standard version and the Locomotion version ?

Ray

The two versions of 'Boxhill' are different. The Rails of Sheffield version depicts the locomotive as it entered service with the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway. The Locomotion Models version is as preserved at York where it is displayed as part of the National Collection.

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion Models

24 minutes ago, Locomotion No. 3 said:

The two versions of 'Boxhill' are different. The Rails of Sheffield version depicts the locomotive as it entered service with the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway. The Locomotion Models version is as preserved at York where it is displayed as part of the National Collection.

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion Models

Would it be possible to get a brief rundown of what these differences in condition are?

17 hours ago, jafcreasey said:

It was initially described as such (see below post from Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X), though the link no-longer works...

Yes, originally described as gloss. Despite searching, I can’t find the post in which Locomotion said that the gloss did not look right and the finish would be changed to something more satin. On the strength of that post, I cancelled my order.

• Informative/Useful 1

Guest Locomotion No. 3

On the Locomotion Models version the abbreviated Brighton on the sole bar is in yellow whilst on the as built version (Rails of Sheffield) it is white.

The tool boxes are different. The Locomotion Models version has the shorter tool box on the rear of the bunker and on the Rails of Sheffield version the longer tool box is fitted.

As previously stated the Rails of Sheffield version is as originally built whilst the Locomotion Models version is as preserved. 

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion Models

Edited by Locomotion No. 3
Clarification

Guest Locomotion No. 3
3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Yes, originally described as gloss. Despite searching, I can’t find the post in which Locomotion said that the gloss did not look right and the finish would be changed to something more satin. On the strength of that post, I cancelled my order.

When we received the first livery sample the gloss finish was far too shiny and did not look at all right. 

We decided to change it so that the Locomotion Models has a slightly higher sheen than the Rails of Sheffield version.

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion Models

Guest Locomotion No. 3
14 hours ago, Tiny151 said:

Would it be possible to get a brief rundown of what these differences in condition are?

These images may help to explain it better.

The top illustration shows the Rails of Sheffield as built version with the Locomotion Models as preserved version below. The different colour B'ton has been highlighted in both images.

ROS Terrier Front.jpg

LM Terrier 2 Oct 2020.jpg

Guest Locomotion No. 3
14 hours ago, Tiny151 said:

Toolbox variations below.

The top one shows the Rails of Sheffield version with the long tool box.

The second is of the Locomotion Models version which clearly shows the shorter tool box sitting well inside the lining on the bunker when compared to the top image.

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion Models

ROS Terrier Back.jpg

LM Terrier Back.jpg

25 minutes ago, Locomotion No. 3 said:

... the abbreviated Brighton on the sole bar on the as built version (Rails of Sheffield) it is white.

Not quite!  Boxhill dates from 1880. The shed abbreviations were added in 1884!

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

But why did Andy Y call it a Yorkshire Terrier ?

I couldn't possibly comment whether the press release strapline referred to a product that will be sold in the NRM shop or the partner's proprietor. ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2020 at 14:38, Tiny151 said:

Thanks Dennis, that's all very helpful. Certainly some impressive attention to detail!

Absolutely !

That kind of detail should silence the critics.

Now of course I need to point out the elephant in the room, the huge glaring omission that will send half towards the cancel button, and half towards the buy button....   One has a coupling fitted.... 

:)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2020 at 10:34, No Decorum said:

Just found it: -

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2020 at 20:27, adb968008 said:

Absolutely !

That kind of detail should silence the critics.

Now of course I need to point out the elephant in the room, the huge glaring omission that will send half towards the cancel button, and half towards the buy button....   One has a coupling fitted.... 

:)

Quick update.Mine has just arrived. No bits in box.Straight running plate. No leaning cab. No leaning chimney.Cosmetically in order.Thank you Stuart. Lovely model. Well pleased with this little jewel.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

More than happy to report that it not only looks good but runs very nicely and nothing has dropped off or came loose in the box apart from the two separately packed pipes.  The perpetually open firebox door/accompanying flicker isn't entirely to my taste (not that such a comment is really relevant to the delightful little job which has been produced for the NRM).

• Like 3

Guest Locomotion No. 3
On 27/10/2020 at 16:11, Ian Hargrave said:

Great to resume links with Shildon once more. So that’s my Terrier hat trick then :).But why did Andy Y call it a Yorkshire Terrier ?  Perhaps Dominic Cummings could explain.....?

Commissioned by two Yorkshire organisations in partnership (NRM York and Rails of Sheffield) with Dapol (which I suppose due to its location close to the English / Welsh border could have made it a Border Terrier). 'Boxhill'  is now a York resident - hence the play on it being a Yorkshire Terrier!! 

Dennis

• Moderators

I've taken some pictures now for the review in BRM but thought they would be of interest to readers and customers. Quite delightful.

2.jpg

6.jpg

Composite.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 26/10/2020 at 14:20, Locomotion No. 3 said:

When we received the first livery sample the gloss finish was far too shiny and did not look at all right. 

We decided to change it so that the Locomotion Models has a slightly higher sheen than the Rails of Sheffield version.

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion Models

I wonder if there is any mileage in publishing gloss levels in percentage terms? That is how we used to measure things at work. A high gloss paint finish is actually only about 80% and on a model as small as the terrier would almost certainly look too bright. Around 60% would probably be about right, but this level of gloss on, say a Coronation, would look too dull. Like certain other elements the relation between size and brightness does not scale. The photos look pretty good to me.

Bernard

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've taken some pictures now for the review in BRM but thought they would be of interest to readers and customers. Quite delightful.

2.jpg

6.jpg

Not being a Brighton exert I must admit to a little puzzlement when i looked at the lamp irons yesterday but a quick check against photos confirmed the engine is correct in only having the centre buffer beam lamp iron at the front end.  Just don't look at the illustration on the cover of the rather nice enclosed illustrated leaflet and wonder why your engine is different ;)

Obviously someone at the NRM spotted that error on what I presume was a decoration sample and made sure things were correct on the Museum's production models.  Good to see that, as ever, the people involved with Locomotion Models are very much on the ball when it comes to checking even such tiny details.

• Agree 1

On 26/10/2020 at 14:28, Locomotion No. 3 said:

The top illustration shows the Rails of Sheffield as built version with the Locomotion Models as preserved version below. The different colour B'ton has been highlighted in both images.

While looking for something else I happened to come across a photo taken when the loco was at Clapham circa 1973. At that time it did not have the lettering. At least not on the RH side.

Just a warning for any body wishing to set the model at a particular date. I wonder when the writing was added.

Bernard