Colorado 3'

JZ

After 5 years modelling the S&DJR, I feel it's time for a change in direction. Maybe it's my mid-life crisis, although at 63, I perhaps missed that. I have been sorely tempted by H0N3, particularly the stuff available from Blackstone Models. I'll also be visiting the Durango & Silverton and Cumbres & Toltec in May this year. With almost 20' by almost 10' available, I want to put the railway in the scenery and as only a small area for a fiddle yard would need to be made, most of the layout would be scenic. I am hoping to find some useful books on the narrow gauge system while I'm over there. I can see from Google that there were a few places where line zig-zagged up hillsides, but does anyone know if there were any loops(spirals)? I could fit a spiral in, as it would fit in 3 feet.

Ideas, comments and criticism welcome.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just off the top of my head, there was the Georgetown loop on the DSP&P, latterly the C&S ng section, which I think has been preserved. Just added a link:https://www.georgetownlooprr.com/

Theres also the Ophir loop on the RGS, which isn’t a loop, just a big hairpin bend with a steep grade.

Edited by Northroader
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jules, I think you'll find the Colorado n.g. railroads a fascinating subject for a model.  I have visited them many times and there is always something new to see but, of them all, the C&TS is the nearest to real N. American steam railroading. We're thinking of going back in October. I assume you may be flying into Denver.  From there I would suggest first visiting the Colorado RR museum in Golden just west of Denver. The have an extensive selection of books in their shop. From there take highway 17? west (which is largely built on the old C&S grade) to I 70 and Georgetown for the Loop. The best view of the spiral is from the layby on the eastbound side. From there I suggest you take a clockwise loop via Salida, Alamosa and Antonito to the C&T or anticlockwise via Ridgway, Silverton and Durango.  There is a new scenic byway between Durango and Chama which follows the old trackbed but I haven't used it yet. Distances are much further than one expects so give yourself plenty of time - at least a week to do this. May is still very early as many passes are over 11,000' and may still be blocked by snow. The C&TS doesn't start until May 26th but there may be a flanger special a couple of weeks before this. So far this year has seen the heaviest snowfall in 20 yrs. so beware of the weather and altitude.             For modelling the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette is an invaluable resource but a subscription to include overseas postage isn't cheap however secondhand copies sometimes turn up at a reasonable price in the U.K.   I no longer model the n.g. (I used to do 0n3) but still have a long run of NG&SLG from the mid 80's to 2016 and many books on the subject so I'm happy to offer advice if you need it.

Cheers,

Ray.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've visited the museum at Durango before, unfortunately didn't have time for the rail trip. This time I am going alone, so can do as I please.  Plan at the moment is to stay the first night in Castle Rock, very good Mexican restaurant there, from there I will drive up Pikes Peak, the railway is closed until 2021. Two nights in Cañon City for the Royal Gorge RR, then I have two days floating before two nights in Antonito for the C&T. The head to Durango via Wolf Creek Pass for another two nights. After that I will probably head up to Wyoming to hopefully get to see 4014.

• 2 weeks later...