C15 diagram Clerestory

If you are using the Bettabitz sides, the etches have been produced 'as built' with the twin toilet windows. This did not last long and the two toilets were replaced by a compartment, changing the appearance somewhat.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...

I meant to say that these drawings are based upon the offical photo of a C15 as built and 'standard' dimensions used for compartment sizes at that time.

The corridor side drawing is fairly easy: 4 off 3rd class compartments at 5'6" width and 3 off 2nd class compartments at 6' width.  Both end toilets are 3'10", the ends are 3 3/8" thick, compartment partions are 1 1/4" thick, and the total length is 56'.  That makes the centgral toilets about 3'6" (2nd class) and 3'2" (3rd class) wide.

When converted to a C16 with the central toilets removed the compartment would have been a generous 6'10" wide.  So the door centres (which is what modellers are really interested in) are 2x 6'1 1/4" (ex 2nd class compartments), 2x 6' 4 3/4" (ex toilets) 3x '7 1/4" (3rd class compartments).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Sorry to hijack.  If it is C diagram why does it have both 2nd and 3rd class compartments?

When the GWR set up the diagram book they were in the middle of getting rid of 2nd class.  They do appear to have assigned B diagrams for 2nd class coaches but it was not actually used.  I assume that the assumption was that 2nd class compartments would have been downgraded to 3rd.

2 hours ago, drduncan said:

When were the C15s converted into C16s?

DrDuncan

I don't know for sure.  Given the diagrams are in date order and the first C17 was built in 1897, it could have been as early as 1897.  What is sure is that some were converted by 1907 when the diagram book was set up.

• Informative/Useful 2