Alpha Bar PR

carlwebus

Hi all

Can anyone help me with the location of the attached picture?

It looks like an LMS or BR 4MT tank at a branch line terminus with a single (clerestory?) coach.

The photo is marked on tha back "Alpha Bar PR"

Its dated 28/8/76 - so is presumabley on a heritage railway?  The only standard gauge "PR" I can think of is Peak Rail - but I don't think they have/ ever had a class  4 and I don't think  the location is any of their stations.

ALPHA BAR PR.jpg

Portrush?

Very similar buildings centre right in a matching location on this google maps streetview link: https://goo.gl/maps/SUUCfkZPtcL2

although there's obviously been redevelopment since the original photo.

Edit: searching for 'alpha bar portrush' gives a first result of 63 Eglinton St, which turns out to be an empty plot next to a bar called The Quays on the current Portrush street view. But I'm just about convinced it's Portrush.

Edited by eastwestdivide
clarity, extra info

• RMweb Premium

Counting the buildings along, left to right, i would say 'The Quays' bar is part of the 'Alpha' (LH end, 4 windows) - however, it used to be a bigger property and the modern gap site is the result of the demolition of the RH part of the Alpha.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the photo closely I'd say it is the same bar but the street numbering has been changed by one; the building to the right, now the building site, had slightly different windows. Further Googling shows  that it's an extension to The Quays, which was formerly the Alpha Bar.

This is like being back at work, doing "Heritage Assessments". 

Yes, definitely Portrush ....... WT No.4 and twelve-wheeler No.861 - presumably on some Portrush Flyer shunt before returning to Belfast.

in 2019 No.4 is having a new set of tyres fitted for a return to the main line shortly and 861 is undergoing a major rebuild but - being timber-bodied - can no longer take part in main line activities, more's the pity.

'Standard gauge' ? - of course it is : Irish Standard gauge of 5'3''.

• Informative/Useful 1

Many thanks to 73080, eastwestdivide, keefer, petethemole, wickham green. Star men (I presume) all!

Don't feel such an idiot saying it looked like and LMS class 4 - because, of course, that's basically  what it is: Derby built 1947. 

I've actually been to Port Rush - but with three non-railway oriented people (including  wife who says she's had enough of steam railways)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1