Hallside

lambiedg

• 2 weeks later...

As promised earlier the shots below show the tensioner at the end of the turn back siding. This features insulators fabricated from those invaluable railway modelling materials - beads and sequins from the jewellery aisle at Hobbycraft.

Also visible are the construction elves!

7D8229B6-426A-4F32-93C9-36E396CE4D46.jpeg

9E64C086-2D3B-4436-BA15-5270A601A03C.jpeg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, lambiedg said:

As promised earlier the shots below show the tensioner at the end of the turn back siding. This features insulators fabricated from those invaluable railway modelling materials - beads and sequins from the jewellery aisle at Hobbycraft.

Also visible are the construction elves!

7D8229B6-426A-4F32-93C9-36E396CE4D46.jpeg

9E64C086-2D3B-4436-BA15-5270A601A03C.jpeg

WOW. Great modeling. At first glance I thought the top photo was a real location and the bottom was your model. Only when looking a little closer did I realize the top photo is also your model. Very skillful modeling.

All the best

Dave

Superb layout - look forward to seeing it at the SECC.  Newton was a regular haunt for spotting (when I was into that) I have quite a few photos of the station during one of the rebuilds.  Hows this for an unusual feature, for whatever reason when they shortened the platform they left the old ramp in place for a while!!

class86225atnewton.jpg.5046a1a401110a61d2aa9a9fb28229f5.jpg

• Like 3

For some inexplicable reason the guys decided against our usual Wednesday evening meeting this week.

So it was a Friday afternoon session that saw the final portal installed.

It is somewhere in the Stygian gloom beyond the bridge at the north end in the first picture.

Meanwhile at the south end Robert (the younger) has started to install the insulators and wires. These can just about be seen from normal viewing distance, even on this board which has the greatest amount of wires!

Even in picture two they are just visible. 

AFE40B9D-C381-4FF5-9230-2D4C7BF97762.jpeg

1A6F049E-2D26-48CE-9785-1BDAA387EFE1.jpeg

• Like 12

Some better shots of the spaghetti!

The first looks across the station area from what, I believe, was the trackbed of a line into an old power station. I’m more than happy to be corrected on that one.
The second shows, from left to right

WCML south

Turnback siding

Hamilton circle 

D727E4CD-8889-49EE-AD20-47FC3A07366D.jpeg

46ECBDE1-9375-4D15-9BA3-061276DD7889.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2019 at 12:13, lambiedg said:

Some better shots of the spaghetti!

The first looks across the station area from what, I believe, was the trackbed of a line into an old power station. I’m more than happy to be corrected on that one.
The second shows, from left to right

WCML south

Turnback siding

Hamilton circle 

D727E4CD-8889-49EE-AD20-47FC3A07366D.jpeg

46ECBDE1-9375-4D15-9BA3-061276DD7889.jpeg

Looking really good.  Re the old line to the power station there was a loop line behind the old "up" WCML platform which a tthe western end of Newton Station linked into a line that ran to Carmyle Junction and Clydesmill Power Station.  I was on one of the last trains over that line when it was used for diversionary services in 1972 while they lowered the track through Cambuslang Station in preparation for the electrification.  Curiously the power station is not shown on the 1:2500 map of the area, it is shown as one of those vague blank areas.  Map here https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=55.8202&lon=-4.1371&layers=170&right=BingHyb

The power station donated 0-4-0ST Clyde’s Mill Power Station No. 3 to the SRPS and it ran under it's own power to Falkirk

Jim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Are the Construction elves about to upgrade the sign on the bridge to match the station building?

I hope not!

As far as any of us can remember the sign on the bridge was never updated although, as of Jan 2020, it’s not there anymore.

1EE2FF94-9B85-40B2-B982-86C26D2D0102.jpeg

77C69FE5-FCF3-450A-B41A-C9BFBF8CA43E.jpeg

• Like 7

Although Hallside is only just over 3m wide so is our main club room!
So, yes, that is a wall hard up against the layout front in the first picture.

The second is another one of those shots that cannot be easily reproduced once the layout is erected, it’s a shot north bound from the Hamilton circle.

Controversially the next post may include rolling stock and, whisper it, movement.

0202A08D-62A9-4508-B270-1DBC2F764503.jpeg

A27C3C8C-6AD6-49E2-9CBC-AD16544FCF3E.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in updates. Perhaps I was too optimistic about progress.

There have been two main problems to resolve:

The fiddle yard had sustained damage in storage which meant some track relaying and subsequent chasing down of short circuit issues.

Happily all is now resolved.

The other one concerned our Pendolinos. The club invested in two nine car sets when we originally built Hallside and stored them for “later”.

well its now later and guess what?

Hornby’s product is probably designed for flat train set ovals and also not in nine car sets.

The 50mm rise in level from the fiddle yard to the viewing side proved beyond them!

Even taking into account that the rise is round a reasonably gentle curve we were disappointed.

Much time spent on adding and distributing weight later and we have two operational nine car sets.

In the background the rest of the layout has been tested is ready to go.

I also threatened some “drivers eye view” footage.

This has been done and is currently being edited.

When complete this, along with any new pictures, will be posted on the Modelrail Scotland thread in the run up to the show.

David

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

As Lambie the elder posted yesterday, attached are some more pic from today's running.

We had a very busy and successful day with lots of very kind comments and lots of questions about all things Hallside. As a club we are slowly working on our digital presence and will update the details of the webpage, youtube channel and flickr accounts as and when tehy are updated with actual content, in the interim, please feel free to ask questions here and we will answer in as much detail as we can as quickly as we can.

Once again many thanks for all the kind and supportive comments.

More will follow over the coming days

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Edited by Ilambie
Ademdun
  • Like 4