DCC Computer Control

Luke Palmer

Has anyone here ever used Coding on a Windows Laptop to control Locos, points & accessories on their 00 gauge model railway layout?

I’m starting to get into coding and wondered whether I could incorporate it into my layout.  

No no worries if not it was just a thought I had,

Luke

Lots of us do it - butbwe use commercial or open source programmes to achieve the control - feel free to write your own but I would suggest that you will find that the time involved in cooking your own will quickly show you why we chose not to :)

the makn commercial programmes are

itrain

railroad and co

opensource

JMRI

RocRail (but requires paid support for some elements)

• Agree 4

The big issue writing your own control system is firstly you have to write interface code so you can control an existing command station , depending on the system this can be quite complex 

then once you have control of the system you need to decide what functionality you need , again. This results in significant  code 

all in all a big task  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Try looking at JMRI written in Java.  It's free and has an integration with Python/Jython which allows you to use their scheduler/interface to program as much as you want.  You MAY find that the amount of "programming" necessary using their own Logix approach will be all you need.  I have some Python but mainly my full interlocking uses their Logix.  Happy to bore you as much as you want on the subject!

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I use JMRI for various tasks on model railways including electronic mimic panels. I write Jython scripts where JMRI doesn't do exactly what I want. JMRI also provides support for DIY model railway electronics such as DCC++ (Arduino based DCC Command station) and MERG CBUS (a layout control bus).

Regards

Nick

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/03/2019 at 16:54, Luke Palmer said:

Has anyone here ever used Coding on a Windows Laptop to control Locos, points & accessories on their 00 gauge model railway layout?

A few years back I wrote a program to send commands to a Hornby Elite DCC controller. IIRC it was a bit tedious figuring out how to form the XpressNet commands but, after that, it was straightforward.

...R

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I used RailRoad and Co to write software control panels for WFRM layouts. It's very powerful but unless you are going for full automation I would choose another option, WFRM started using RR&Co when it was fairly cheap - not the case nowadays.

I wouldn't bother writing your own software, theres a lot to signal systems which JMRI or RailRoad and Co "just do" which could take you a long time to code - I've developed software for donkeys years and decided my time would be better spent elsewhere so I developed MILF instead (do not google this), basically a train describer for use over IP networks.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/03/2019 at 16:54, Luke Palmer said:

It very much depends what you mean by "Coding", in particular what language you are talking about.

It is possible to write programs in C, C++, Pascal and so on to control a microcontroller such as an Arduino which can in turn produce DCC signals.

It is also possible, although unnecessarily tortuous, to produce DCC signals out of the end of a serial port, but you would need a custom hardware driver like PortIO or GPIO to bypass the HAL in any modern version of Windows.

If you were to buy a Sprog DCC computer Interface, you can control that with an API which is currently in development.

For points, signals and accessories, there are a number of USB relay cards available which would let you control these with your own custom software, not using DCC but just serial on / off commands.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
update
  • Thanks 1

I have spent most of the evening trying to get a PI configured as a DHCP server & WAP so I can connect it to our club's PowerCab to provide access to WiThrottle.

That has taken me most of the evening, admittedly hampered by a bottle of red & some drams of single malt.

I have not got the wifi network visible yet. I am troubleshooting this bit.

It just goes to show how much effort is required to achieve your goal. If you can make use of someone else's work then I would do this.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I have spent most of the evening trying to get a PI configured as a DHCP server & WAP so I can connect it to our club's PowerCab to provide access to WiThrottle.

That has taken me most of the evening, admittedly hampered by a bottle of red & some drams of single malt.

I have not got the wifi network visible yet. I am troubleshooting this bit.

It just goes to show how much effort is required to achieve your goal. If you can make use of someone else's work then I would do this.

I assume there is a reason why you didn't use Steve Todd's downloadable PI image ?    Download the file, put it on SD card, boot PI with SD card.   Result will be a PI with WiFi Access Point, DHCP serving, running JMRI, with WiThrottle and Webserver started, automatically detecting the PowerCab.....

https://mstevetodd.com/jmri-raspberrypi-access-point

- Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/03/2019 at 09:58, Nigelcliffe said:

I assume there is a reason why you didn't use Steve Todd's downloadable PI image ?    Download the file, put it on SD card, boot PI with SD card.   Result will be a PI with WiFi Access Point, DHCP serving, running JMRI, with WiThrottle and Webserver started, automatically detecting the PowerCab.....

https://mstevetodd.com/jmri-raspberrypi-access-point

- Nigel

Because I didn't know about it :D

Thanks. I'll give it a try.