Airbrush

Thinking of getting a airbrush for weathering. Can anybody recommend a decent one in a kit with compressor etc without breaking the bank. Done a quick Google search and was surprised at the price of some of them. I know you get what you pay for but as said it's only for weathering not serious stuff or works of art.

• RMweb Gold

I too have a Neo (trigger version) and have been very pleased with it. Worth getting from a decent supplier as you will probably need some sort of advice/support along the way.

Don't forget a spray booth unless you intend to work outside...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Almost any air brush will be fine... badger air brushes are my weapons of choice. They do (for the 150) fine medium and large heads , if you are using enamels the medium is good, if you are are spraying O gauge you may want a larger air brush such as the 175. I would say a dual action internal mix air brush is essential for weathering. 

Any airbrush is only as good as the compressor used, Best air brush in the world with a poor compressor without an air reservoir  will never give good results, canned air should not even be considered. The other essential is a proper  cartridge type face mask.

Cheers

Duncan 

When looking for a airbrush . First what paint are you go'ing to use Acrylic or Enamel paint.  A cheap airbrush from china is OK for Acrylic but NOT for Enamel as they have Rubber O rings in them that don't like Solvent based paint.  I do use a cheap China Airbrush at times the main one i use is a Harder & Steenbeck.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Best air brush in the world with a poor compressor without an air reservoir  will never give good results

This is a bit of a myth. My compressor has no tank and gives me no issues with getting a good finish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Almost any air brush will be fine... badger air brushes are my weapons of choice. They do (for the 150) fine medium and large heads , if you are using enamels the medium is good, if you are are spraying O gauge you may want a larger air brush such as the 175. I would say a dual action internal mix air brush is essential for weathering. 

Any airbrush is only as good as the compressor used, Best air brush in the world with a poor compressor without an air reservoir  will never give good results, canned air should not even be considered. The other essential is a proper  cartridge type face mask.

Cheers

Duncan 

sorry Duncan....but that statement is out of date and not true.....

these are what I have used for years ...no extra tanks necessary .....

DSC03993.JPG.d14b29ecb206328a4bc2206197275211.JPG

....and this is what they will do.....

DSC04385.JPG.85a6a7ed49dfa655b18c4347b1ab1d72.JPG

• Like 1

well thats done, wallet A lot lighter.

Give it a couple of days until delivered then the fun will begin.

Thanks again for the info chaps.

I've seen an adapter for using a spare tyre on eBay. Has anyone tried this? (20p a charge is rather better than £10 for a can of air).

I normally use a brush, but do have an air brush, which runs on cans  :(  (a cheap Badger).

think know SWMBO will veto a compressor....

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I used a car tyre many years ago. I now have a large compressor with air tank and a small comp with no tank. A car tyre is not a convenient or consistent source of air for spraying in my experience.

If you use a tyre think how you will refill it!?

Edited by Bedlington North