Locomotion models commission Western Fusilier in OO

AY Mod

• Moderators

‘WESTERN FUSILIER’ CLASS 52 MODEL COMMISSIONED FROM DAPOL

Dapol Western.jpg

Locomotion Models have commissioned a model of Class 52 Diesel Hydraulic locomotive No. 1023 ‘Western Fusilier’ which is part of the National Collection and currently on display at The Railway Museum, York.

Finished in BR blue livery, the livery it currently carries, the model will be available in June for £ 152. The model is OO Scale and is DCC READY and is being produced by Dapol as an Exclusive Edition model as part of ‘The National Collection in Miniature’ series. The finished model will be supplied with etched name and number plates for the customer to fit.

Models can be pre-ordered for a £30 deposit from www.locomotionmodels.com and will also be available over the counter at both Locomotion, Shildon and at The Railway Museum, York later this year.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Being as the number and number plates are applied by the customer is this not just identical to all the other blue westerns, but with some different name plates...? Why wouldn't I buy any other blue western for less money and the requisite number plates?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Being as the number and number plates are applied by the customer is this not just identical to all the other blue westerns, but with some different name plates...? Why wouldn't I buy any other blue western for less money and the requisite number plates?

Because this way you are supporting the NRM financially.

• Agree 4

• Moderators
On 22/03/2019 at 02:55, MGR Hooper! said:

Will it have a gloss finish or satin?

I've had confirmation that it's the standard (satin) finish.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/03/2019 at 11:31, woodenhead said:

Because this way you are supporting the NRM financially.

Other Dapol limited editions have had the added incentive of being completed (plates and lifting rings fitted) - I would have thought this would be a given for an NRM model, these being aimed at collectors as much as modellers. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Other Dapol limited editions have had the added incentive of being completed (plates and lifting rings fitted) - I would have thought this would be a given for an NRM model, these being aimed at collectors as much as modellers. 

Maybe they've cut costs, this is the same price as the Cheltenham Model Centre limited editions where the nameplates and numberplates are being fitted.

That difference will no doubt benefit the NRM.

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Maybe they've cut costs, this is the same price as the Cheltenham Model Centre limited editions where the nameplates and numberplates are being fitted.

That difference will no doubt benefit the NRM.

Agree the CMC ones have the plates and rings fitted. They are also in the more popular maroon and each have a unique selling point (2 new windscreen variations plus the different plate combo for D1000).  I fear Locomotion may find a blue Western that needs completing harder to shift. Standard Dapol Blue Westerns have been in pretty plentiful supply recently, often discounted

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The Dapol Western is in my mind one of the best rtr diesels ever made.

I have 11 3/4 of them, only D1000 and D1015 are “as made” and I paid premium for them.

Heres my fleet and what I paid, including buying replacement nameplates / selling the redundant plates, latest purchase was December 2018.

3FB56D93-B6CE-4D3E-8BD4-83AE59165F23.jpeg.044e001bc41206d4749532a01a3ee4f0.jpeg

Most of my blue ones originated from the LTM limited Edition which was heavily discounted on a couple of occasions, the plates were not prefitted making change of ID a doddle, and probably cause of my over indulgence.

If D1023 came with white spots, prenamed and fitted like D1000 / D1015 were, even better would be a 1977 railtour headboard ! in an (N)RM box you can see where the potential for greater price demand differential arises from...

I could be persuaded to renumber my existing D1023 to D1028, and buy this, but OMG i’d then have 7 blue ones (I’ve D1043 too on order), and a CMC circular cab wiper one on order too !

Either way even if released as unnamed in a standard Dapol box to post fit yourself i’d Imagine it will find a place with the general public, it is afterall in the exhibition hall at York for everyone to see, and buying what you see is part of the fun, however it would not be for me.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks to Dennis Lovett for the following clarifications...

Class 52 No. 1023 ‘Western Fusilier’ 

Following discussions with Dapol at the Alexandra Palace Exhibition over the weekend, Locomotion Models can confirm that their OO model will be as operated prior to entering preservation as part of the National Collection.
•    The locomotive will have a satin paint finish.
•    It will carry a TOPs panel and white/red electrification warning flashes. It will not as a result carry the red dot route restriction marking.
•    It will not carry a shed allocation panel. These were not on the locomotive prior to withdrawal from service with British Rail.
•    As with all Dapol Western locomotives the name and number plates will not be pre-fitted. The body sides carry a positioning guide to assist with fitting.
•    Each locomotive will be supplied with the Dapol headcode sheet. Options include the two domino markings carried by 1023 towards the end of its working life.

We trust this clarifies the position.
Locomotion Models

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s a shame it doesn’t have the Gloss finish. That’s one thing I love about the limited editions they release. I love my gloss Evening Stars and the KGV, sow as a little disappointed that City of Truro wasn’t glossed. Easily fixed myself of course but still. 

• AY Mod pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
21 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Would've seriously picked up one if it was finished off in a gloss finish!

9 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

If it had been gloss, maroon and there wasn’t so much else in the offing, so would I!

Well if it had been an LNER W1 in its original guise I would have had one.

The model is the model, there is no point saying i would have had this or that, it wasn't available and by the accounts above from Locomotion, it seems to be selling quite well as a non gloss BR blue model with the number and nameplates to be fitted by the purchaser.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1