DCC acceleration problem

legin

• RMweb Premium

I have a few locos using some TTS sound decoders, which are basically Hornby 8249 decoders with a sound pcb grafted on, and they run quite okay using either 28 or 128 SS.

I normally use 28SS and have not noticed any particular jump/bump in the lower speed step range, but I do set acc/dec rates - cv3 & cv4 - in the 20 to 50 range with all my locos, (mostly using  Zimo or CT decoders), and this may help iron out any such jumps.

Obviously the motor control quality can’t match the finesse of Zimo/CT, but it’s okay-ish. No worse/no better than other brands I have tried, Soundtraxx, Digitrax, Lenz etc.

Izzy

• Agree 2

Thanks a lot everyone. Since the decoders are hard wired and my capability ends at dismantling and servicing locos, I would have to have the Hornby decoders taken out and probably replaced by Lenz, which I know works on my one so-fitted loco. Having said that, I am just about happy with slow speeds for the unfitted goods trains, so maybe the freight only engines can be left alone. The Lenz decoders not only have a short protection but also they will replace them , I think within a year of purchase, if you blow them through your own idiocy. Unfortunately, it would cost about £200+ to do all the locos but I shall do it if all else fails. "All else" seems to mean 2 things if I have learned anything from what has been posted. 1. Decoders:   Hornby decoders have limited scope when it comes to setting CVs. However, if the decoder will recognise CV29, turning the speed curve on or off is worth a try. CV 3 &4 are programmable according to Izzy, by looking at acceleration rates. I am presuming that we are talking about the Hornby decoders being able to be reset as well as the Zimos and CTs.  Top speed cannot be limited on theses decoders which should be 8249s, but I never get beyond turning the knob past about 1/3 from stop anyway..  2. EZ Command: This is fixed at 28SS.  This maybe a bit of a punt, because my Lenz loco is ok, but maybe as has been said, it is an incompatibility issue between the decoders and the Hornby chips. The controller speed dial, I have just noticed, turns to about 1/4 to the hour from off for slow speeds and the when turning from that point to over 10 minutes to or 5 minutes to, nothing at all happens to the Hornby fitted locos., and then they lurch suddenly to a scale 25mph from about 10. Taking the controller to the shop  and trying it with locos fitted with both Hornby and other chips might tell me something, though I expect it to perform well with locos with other chips as it does with my Lenz fitted one. Better still, try my locos with his Dynamis to try to eliminate the controller as the problem.. I know it might sound ridiculous to many people, but passenger trains travelling at scale 25 mph on my smallish but quite complex layout is just too fast and loping at 18-20 is just right., goods trains at 10-15. 

• Like 1