6 Pin Decoder with Short(ish) Wires

Right Away

• RMweb Gold

Could any member recommend a good 6 pin decoder with quite short wires and 651 plug.

Zimo and Lenz , my preferred makes have wires which are around 70mm in length which is far too long for the latest Hornby Terrier.

Thanks

Edited by Right Away
Grammar correction

• RMweb Gold

Why not use a decoder which has an NEM 651 plug with no wires? For example the Lenz Silver mini+ (10311-02), or Zimo MX617N.  Horny recommend their own R7150 decoder, but looks like just their standard decoder fitted to a 6-pin plug with short wires. 

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold

Would you believe, the MX617N protrudes too far forward , even with the pins shortened. The Silver Mini would likewise not fit.

The space is very restrictive and I'm hoping to avoid any "surgery" or hard wiring at this early stage in a new model's history. 

• RMweb Gold

How are your soldering skills? You could use a 6-pin adapter plug like this one, for example, and use it with a wires-only decoder where you can shorten the wires as required.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LaisDcc-NEM651-6-Pin-to-6-Wire-Adaptor-Part-No-860005-DCC/323150176167?epid=17014852938&hash=item4b3d405fa7:g:8WcAAOSwmoVarNgQ

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the link. This is looking to be the only logical way forward if I'm to fit a decoder of my choice.

One ponders that H could have given us "digital guys" a but more consideration in this respect!