Hornby Class 08 Lubrication

Hi all,

I got a brand new Hornby Class 08 R3485 'Laira' loco back in November last year, I want to run it in for about 30 mins in each direction on my rolling road.

The question is, should I lubricate it first as per the maintenance sheet, the reason I ask is because I am not sure when Hornby released this model and I don't know how long it sat on a shelf. There are smears of oil on the keeper plate but I thought I would ask the question first just to be safe.

Any advice would most welcome

Thanks in advance.

Edited by michaelp

I would suggest a tiny amount of light oil to the crankpins. If it then immediately runs smoothly and quietly at dead slow forward and reverse, I suspect you are 'done'! (A good mechanism design that only had one problem in early production, tight wormshaft bearings that heated and then loudly complained. Not heard of incidences since.)

If you want to check or the mechanism doesn't run smoothly at low speed , unscrewing the keeper plate will let you see how the axles are lubricated. (Mine came with a sensible quantity of a light coloured grease, and hasn't had anything changed in what must now be 15 or so years of operation - it doesn't get operated much, and all of it slowly!)

With the body off you can check the drive train. A drop of light oil shared between the worm and the two worm shaft bearings might be an idea if you think the model has been standing a long time since manufacture. That will soften any grease that has hardened, the motor has ample grunt to work it.

• Thanks 1