If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Harry Lamb

harry lamb

Hello, my name is Harry Lamb and I am a new (but retired 5 yrs) recruit. Whilst not a stranger to this hobby and forum I could never figure out how to use it properly as my major interest has been one of a more solitary nature. CAMRA excepted, being a member from the very early days. Wonderful stuff! However, I am just about to move house and the new abode has a generous gabled loft where I will recreate my modelling activities, in between visits to my two favourite boozers that is.  As my modelling skills are limited there will be no scenics or suchlike.  Just track and vehicles. Steam outline models are out of the question now as I posses only half a thumb on my right hand (work injury 1969) and I came off my bike on the way to the pub and broke the left one! ( builders ballast spill into carriageway 2016)  Whilst the latter thumb is still whole it is bent and has healed almost rigid. Not too good and I'm too old to start mucking about with 'digital' reconstruction. Anyhow I'll see how I get on with the new railway in the loft and if it goes well I'll pop a note or two on here but I'll leave you with a piccy of some track I have just ripped up prior to leaving the current Stalag.  Cheers. HL 

1.31mb..png

• Like 3

Ripped up!  :o

Some beautiful track work there, Harry.

What is the gauge as it's hard to tell from the pic. 0 gauge?

Did you build it yourself? If so, tell us more....and welcome to the madhouse...:D

Edited by gordon s

Harry, you have some wonderful flowing track work there, but your post title doesn't give any clue about the content of your post.

RMweb moves so quickly that posts slip down the page rapidly. If you want others to take an interest, can I suggest you amend the title to represent what your layout thread is about.

The quality of your track deserves further discussion.....:good_mini:

Sorry gents but when it comes to forums, blogs and suchlike I am in unfamiliar territory and I may have erroneously opened the wrong door. I am not going to build a model railway as such but merely an extensive test track in 18.83mm. gauge to replace the one from my former workshop after the house move is complete. There will be no scenics or even ballast. Just an undulating track system that will try my locomotives and stock to the extreme. The only concession to scenery will be the painting of the track and baseboards and the photograph previously attached but now detached was part of that track, or plank as I believe they are commonly referred to. I did try to eliminate the post as soon as Gordon s made it quite clear what these pages are about and I do apologise for the infringement. As for the track itself all switches are of the familiar copperclad and solder method plus chaired and wood sleepered stuff, the latter not for myself OR profit.  I do not use Templot because I do not know how to use it but I cut my own templates using French curves (which I am quite used to handling from designing my model boat hulls) and form the the track from there. Model railway track should 'flow' like the real thing as Mr. Wynne often mentions in his articles to be convincing. However, as soon as I have got my head around this 'Forum' business I will once again attempt to remove all content from this particular 'blog' and place it on the appropriate shelf. If I can find one that is! Failing that I will try to get in touch with the RMweb gaffer to scrub it and return to 'lurking'. All future photographs will be available on my now sparse Flickr page.     

Edited by harry lamb

No problem at all, Harry. I think you may have misunderstood my suggestion. You haven't done anything wrong, just that to get the best from the forum there are a few things to do to get people interested. If you go to you very first post and click on 'edit' at the bottom of the post, it will allow you to go back into your post and change the title to something that reflects what you are doing. I'd love to see some more of your work.

As someone who is particularly interested in trackwork your picture certainly held my attention with the outside slips and three way turnouts. I'd certainly like to know more about your track building skills as we can all learn from each others skills.

You can browse the various forums here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php and there are sections for both layouts and hand built track.

We're a helpful bunch, so please just ask if you need further help.

• 2 weeks later...