APRIL 2019 BRM

Howard Smith

On 01/04/2019 at 16:42, gwrrob said:

Yes, a copy of Phil Parker's Garden Rail mag.

When I looked at the BRM stand at Ally Pally they had piles of the latest mag with a DVD attached.

When I asked to buy one, I was told I could only have one if I took out a subscription.

I finally got hold of one in WH Smith's in Lewisham during the week. There was nothing attached or bagged.

Makes us feel like third class customers.

• Agree 1

• Administrators
On 05/04/2019 at 15:12, wainwright1 said:

When I looked at the BRM stand at Ally Pally they had piles of the latest mag with a DVD attached.

When I asked to buy one, I was told I could only have one if I took out a subscription.

I finally got hold of one in WH Smith's in Lewisham during the week. There was nothing attached or bagged.

Makes us feel like third class customers.

The DVD has been only for subscribers for some months - sorry if it offends you that we look after subscribers with the extra content. If you'd subscribed at Ally Pally, you'd have enjoyed 5 issue with DVDs for a pound each.

Newsstand income is so low, every magazine has to make an effort to encourage subscribers. This is normally through an introductory gift, which leads to existing subscribers moaning that they don't get anything for loyalty. Now we offer cracking deals when you sign up and something extra for those who take out a subscription.

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

The DVD has been only for subscribers for some months - sorry if it offends you that we look after subscribers with the extra content. If you'd subscribed at Ally Pally, you'd have enjoyed 5 issue with DVDs for a pound each.

Newsstand income is so low, every magazine has to make an effort to encourage subscribers. This is normally through an introductory gift, which leads to existing subscribers moaning that they don't get anything for loyalty. Now we offer cracking deals when you sign up and something extra for those who take out a subscription.

BRM need to get a balance between all sales , they are all customers and all need to be treated equally . Not everybody who buys magazines are on the internet. 

The other attitude from what will be at that point ex customers,  is don't buy at all .

• Agree 4

• Administrators
17 hours ago, micklner said:

Not everybody who buys magazines are on the internet.

I'm probably being stupid, but where did the Internet come into this? Subs offers are made in the paper magazine and on the stand at exhibitions.

4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I'm probably being stupid, but where did the Internet come into this? Subs offers are made in the paper magazine and on the stand at exhibitions.

In relation to how BRM is being promoted in a general sense.

• Administrators
Just now, micklner said:

In relation to how BRM is being promoted in a general sense.

Sorry, still not getting the message. On RMweb we promote the magazine online, it's an online audience after all, but on the page and at shows we promote all the options. It will be a long time before everyone is a web user, although the figure currently stands at 90%.  With a conservative audience, there will be a demand for paper for many years to come, even when other magazines have gone purely electronic.

I have seen lots of posts re paper versions as well as internet on this Forum (it doesn't have be on this thread only) . e.g  get a free gift on a magazine recently. As a result some of BRM's customers are not happy etc.

As said before,

BRM need to promote sales on a level playing field for all of their customers.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, micklner said:

As a result some of BRM's customers are not happy etc.

We've had this discussion before. It's impossible to keep every one of thousands of people happy. We do the very best we can, but it's a very complex business with many conflicting variables - not the simple "make mags, put in van, drive to newsagents" that most people think it is. If we get it wrong, we go bust and lose our jobs. I'm sure that would make some people happy!

3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

We've had this discussion before. It's impossible to keep every one of thousands of people happy. We do the very best we can, but it's a very complex business with many conflicting variables - not the simple "make mags, put in van, drive to newsagents" that most people think it is. If we get it wrong, we go bust and lose our jobs. I'm sure that would make some people happy!

Phil,

The solution seems pretty simple to me....

Regards

Andrew 

transit.jpg.0e0947bff329e330861b0c2529fc1ebe.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 5