Bachmann Collett Coaches

I have been considering how to upgrade the Bachmann Collect coaches I have, in particular couplings to bring them closer (literally) and to a standard closer to more recent RTR coaching stock.  I purchases some Keen couplings but it became apparent that to make these fit I would need to butcher the floor of the coaches.  Something I didn't feel confident doing.  So have looked for alternatives.  

I initially looked to see if I could get hold of some spare drawbar/cam assemblies for the Hornby Hawksworths to see if I could adapt them for use with the Colletts.  However after a couple of enquires it appears spares are not available. 

Plan C involved purchasing the cam assemblies for the Hornby Pullman coaches - the bogies being a similar length to the Collects - give or take a mm.  They arrived today and I have temporarily fitted one pending doing some work to make the fitting  permanent - see the photos.  The underside of the coach behind the buffer beam will need some minor modifications to allow the drawbar to slide outwards when cornering as the mechanism does on coaches that come fitted with it as standard.  I have some Roco 40343 and 40344 NEM coupling retrofit mechanisms which I plan to butcher for the purpose.  However based on the first test, the plan seems to work, with the coaches being as close as other stock I have using the Hornby supplier close couplers or Kadees - the example shows the latter.  

Coach1.jpg

Coach2.jpg

• Like 3