NRM plan for the next 15 years

JamieR4489

Today the Science Museum Group have published a new operation vehicle strategy which outlines which national collection vehicles might be overhauled and which won't and any new vehicles that will be added to the collection.

https://group.sciencemuseum.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/op-rail-vehicle-strategy-2019_FINAL.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Just read that and was going to post it. Makes some sense to me regarding the mainline running of diesels - pretty much all their collection which might be mainline compatible is duplicated with those in private hands.

VERY interesting to read that the V2 is to be considered for ressurection. Finally great to see the 306 to be considered for running - even if it is with a ruddy great duracell.

Some of us have known for some months what was going to happen. 55002 has one dead power unit which as everybody knows is not cheap to repair, D8000 has had work done to it so she will never run again so I have been told. I live part time round the corner from the NRM and some people on here know I have spent a lot of time on shunters and Sulzers but I have never wanted to work at this place due to way they deal with diesels which started with 50033 and the Royal 47 which they still don't like to mention.

Glad they dropped the "National" bit out of their title as they no longer can be seen as a National Railway Museum

Edited by 25901
  • Agree 1

I was on the Pacer this morning. I take it that it's 142 001 scheduled for preservation.

I also visited MOSI yesterday. Seems to have a bit of an air of desolation. I'm used to railway museums being a bit untidy, but if I was a casual visitor then I would be a bit put off visiting again. I understand the difficulties with the building work and parts being closed. But they are trying to attract visitors by having Rocket. Just needs a bit of a spring clean. Shame really as the staff were great. Loads of interactive things and demonstrations.

Pender's condition was shocking. It used to be polished like this. Looks like it hasn't seen a cloth or Brasso for years.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodger5450/15555660329/

Jason

Rather shocked to see that the Diesels are to be silenced. Shame not to have the 55 and 47 available for mainline use, or for backup/thunderbird duties with Scotsman or other mainline locos.

A lot of work has gone in to the Deltic, yes it needs power unit repairs, but has generally been in service either on mainline or heritage operations for much of its preserved life.

Similarly the 47 has been on and off operational since it was retired, including outings on both the mainline and heritage lines.

Surely maintaining them capable of occasional mainline and heritage line gala use would be a wiser strategy?

A few years back I think the aim was for the 37, 47 and 55 to be ML certified, with OTMR etc set available for swapping between the locos.

• Agree 1

But there are other class 55s main line certified and plenty of 47s, the NRM has limited funds so it needs to deliver what it can afford.

End of the day it is a Museum first now and an operating railway second though it acknowledges people like to see trains moving and it also needs to be able to move stock about.

It's interesting that Green Arrow is back on the agenda, a few years back they said no chance as it would cease to be in original condition with a new part - the Flying Scotsman was recognised to be a mongrel so could be stripped and completely rebuilt without affecting the museum's rules.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Put the old single casting on display as a good example of the engineering involved in a Steamer - then use modern technology to produce seperate castings (and some V2s had these anyway later in life?) and get GA back in steam.

• Like 4

Please no single cylinder castings. This would alter the loco's appearence. It is possible to make a CAD-derived pattern out of foam/other rapid prototyping methods that were not possible 10 years ago. A new monobloc should be made.

Its not as if you are running an entire fleet that BR were and had to think of creating economic and time-efficient fixes to worn/damaged cylinders. the NRM is a museum, repairs should be faithful to the original. If you are goin to do a job, do it properly! The cost of one monobloc vs three cylinder castings PLUS a full general overhaul won't be that different in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Please no single cylinder castings. This would alter the loco's appearence. It is possible to make a CAD-derived pattern out of foam/other rapid prototyping methods that were not possible 10 years ago. A new monobloc should be made.

Its not as if you are running an entire fleet that BR were and had to think of creating economic and time-efficient fixes to worn/damaged cylinders. the NRM is a museum, repairs should be faithful to the original. If you are goin to do a job, do it properly! The cost of one monobloc vs three cylinder castings PLUS a full general overhaul won't be that different in the grand scheme of things.

Fair comment :)

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AeBor said:

So what does this mean for other items originally designated by the RHC like 91132, 58050 & others which I cannot remember. Not sure if Class 60 was included?

Presumably no impact - this is the operational strategy, so for those designated, if taken, they would be static exhibits, although the strategy does indicate that locos would be kept in a complete condition. 

Whilst it generally all comes down to money, I still think it is sad that it appears locos like 55002/D9002 have no operating future. I think operating locos so that the general public can hear the sounds as well as sight helps to promote further interest than if all locos are increasingly just static exhibits and it could have been something for the museum to build on and generate further interest so in my eyes it is an opportunity missed.

• RMweb Gold

So this is why National came off the title of NRM; no operational GW or Southern steam; so for the GW locos operating  no KGV, Pendennis, City of T, Lode Star,  28xx And no Pannier?

And which Rocket replica to Manchester; original, steamable replica  or dissected replica?

Regards

Basil

6 minutes ago, BMS said:

So this is why National came off the title of NRM; no operational GW or Southern steam; so for the GW locos operating  no KGV, Pendennis, City of T, Lode Star,  28xx And no Pannier?

And which Rocket replica to Manchester; original, steamable replica  or dissected replica?

Regards

Basil

Again, it's a museum so limited funds - rather like the rest of the preservation movement - it has to live within it's means - plenty of quality GW traction available around the country, especially on the SVR and WSR.

• Agree 1

Lode Star won't ever be considered for a return to steam because to do so would mean the loss of much Swindon craftsmanship during her initial restoration, if memory serves. Also, isn't she missing some steam pipes?

Other than the steam pipe comment, isn't the same true for Caerphilly Castle? There are plenty of other Castles in operation too.

KGV - there are 2 other Kings operational, and both have required surgery to make them 'fit' inside the modern loading gauge envelope.

The 28xx has gone elsewhere

City of Truro? Again, modern loading gauge restrictions are a problem with the outside cranks, I think? Also she's not powerful enough for main line work, but never say never for preserved line operation, I fancy - just not yet.

Panniers - there are plenty in operation elsewhere.

Edited by MarkC
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

If I heard that funds would be spent on restoring an NRM exhibit to operational condition when other locos of the same class are already in operation, I'd think it a bit odd to not spend that cash on something that the rest of the world doesn't have.

Like, why would I want another 47 to be running when the only V2 in existence could run instead? (just an example)

So I think their approach is sensible.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Brocp said:

So Duchess of Hamilton steaming isn't on the agenda? That's a massive disappointment.

I fancy that if someone approached the NRM/SMG with both ready cash AND a properly presented Business Plan, things would change.

• Agree 1

I would be less confident of the NRM agreeing to that due to the statement in the plan that "Vehicles will not be returned to working order purely to meet the needs of external stakeholders." I wonder whether this might relate in some way to past situations like Pete Waterman funding the super D's overhaul?

The bit I'm disappointed about is that there's no mention of 3-cylinder Stanier tank 2500 returning to steam, which I'm sure I once read was being considered for after Scotsman entered traffic. That would be an interesting machine to see in action.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 25901 said:

At least there's one loco used and looked after at York :jester:

railway_museum_roadtrain.jpg

Theres one of those going around the mall inside Swindon Works too.

the driver said he used to work inside the works, Ive mixed feelings for the guy on that, a jobs a job, but it must be a strange feeling driving that around the former works.

• Like 1

A few of us

13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Theres one of those going around the mall inside Swindon Works too.

the driver said he used to work inside the works, Ive mixed feelings for the guy on that, a jobs a job, but it must be a strange feeling driving that around the former works.

I only walked past it this afternoon, A few of us (some of them you know) have had a play on that beast