NRM plan for the next 15 years

JamieR4489

• 3 weeks later...

Not to have too much of a moan, but I hope the 15 year plan includes an upgrade of their "search engine" facility...

I traveled a not insignificant distance today to the NRM to make use of this resource, arriving at noon, having previously used it several times in the past and called ahead. It was hugely disappointing. 

Given that we are in the school holidays it was surprisingly quiet, especially in the research area/library on the upper floor (perhaps not so surprising). I was after a locomotive photograph and had to hand the makers build date, loco name, locations with suitable dates and a reference number and collection ID for a particular known photograph in the national collection. Unfortunately the researcher I spoke to was immediately very downbeat about the possibility of finding any material relating to the locomotive and before the first key stroke of the PC stating "I don't think we'll find anything, there was millions of industrial locomotives of course". Wrong, I thought, but I'm a fairly agreeable chap so I went with the flow... 

I was directed to a PC to use the NRMs website tool to find details of the collections. I relayed that I had already done this and inquired as to what further information I would need to produce in order to locate any photographs etc. At this point I was told "well, there's no time to look for them today anyway, you'll need to come back another day". I said I had plenty of time and was willing to wait or assist in any way I could but was told this would not be possible. Understandably this was quite annoying as I had put in the ground work and even rung ahead to make sure that the collection number could be traced etc. I know that photographic negatives need time to acclimatize when taken out of storage etc so I was not expecting to look through these, but a PC search of the folders and general publications would have been worthwhile I feel and the photographic collections/bound publication folders which are accessible I have been through several times in the past. I explained this calmly but  bit my tongue through saying anything further. I went on to leaf through some associated books in the library for a couple of hours - time which I have put aside to do my research. During this time only a small handful of people came/left the research area and nobody approached the main desk at all.

I will be going back of course, In the past I have found it a very useful resource. Had I not had such positive experiences in the past however, it would have put me off for good. Phew, apologies if that all sounds like a bit of a rant - not intended as such, but as I say, a day wasted!

Paul A. 

• Friendly/supportive 5

That's rather discouraging. I've been contemplating a 200-odd mile trek there to look for specific EE works drawings, which would require leafing through several bundles of drawings, as the cataloguing to date is pretty superficial.

The Nim.

I get the comments about other loco's of the same class being in working order, but I do find it sad a number of the loco's will not be repaired for the foreseeable future. I do have an issue with the bullet train being in the museum,  it has nothing to do with the UK railway scene and takes up valuable resource.  I also think it is a shame that the opportunity to use volunteer groups more as in the case with 41001 and 55002 in the past is not being more actively pursued, it seemed a good way to keep exhibits operational.

On the other hand, it *is* (as far as I'm aware) the only Shinkansen vehicle anywhere outside Japan, and I'd argue that while it's not a British train, it is an important part of railway history, and one of few overseas exhibits. I personally found it fascinating to explore, despite being a pre-grouping steam enthusiast.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

I find it distressing that some stock just drifts off the "catalogue"; I am thinking of the, to me, iconic GWR Whitewash coach which had a v long active life into BR days and then, after joining the national collection was allowed to deteriorate and was then "loaned" to ?WSR?. Anybody know what is happening to to it now? It is not in the subject document.

As I recall even the LNER dynometor  coach went through a rough spell until FS, Mallard etc enthusiasm built up.

Regards

Basil

• RMweb Premium

Both 142 001 and 313 201 are listed for preservation in the report.

I'm glad an example of the PEP-derived EMU will be represented in the national collection.

The Pacer will demonstrate the story of 80s cash-strapped BR using bus technology to provide new trains.

I guess a generator-fitted vehicle will be bought to power the 306 and 313 for demonstration runs

• Like 2

On 18/04/2019 at 06:58, Skinnylinny said:

On the other hand, it *is* (as far as I'm aware) the only Shinkansen vehicle anywhere outside Japan, and I'd argue that while it's not a British train, it is an important part of railway history, and one of few overseas exhibits. I personally found it fascinating to explore, despite being a pre-grouping steam enthusiast.

Do you think we could return the honour and send them a 142

• Funny 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Chime Whistle Books said:

The feeling within the NRM diesel department is very despondent. I've spoken to some of them and never known them so negative.

Yes, I don't think we should preserve a pacer either. Some things are best forgotten.

1 hour ago, brack said:

Yes, I don't think we should preserve a pacer either. Some things are best forgotten.

Well, they did help save many a rural route and who can forget some of the shenanigans that passengers got up to on them on the Blackpool North route?! I once saw a chap on his way to a stag do in Blackpool run through the 142 with no trousers on and the guard chasing him, telling him to get them back on!

20 hours ago, brack said:

Vastly more important in a historic sense than the majority of the exhibits.

I also don't understand the reasoning of a Deltic being modern. It's nearly sixty years old.....

Jason

• Agree 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/05/2019 at 15:54, Steamport Southport said:

Vastly more important in a historic sense than the majority of the exhibits.

I also don't understand the reasoning of a Deltic being modern. It's nearly sixty years old.....

Jason

it represents the modern era of rail traction, it basic diesel electric principles are no different from a class 66...

LSLs wide variety of classic traction and almost endless cashflow means that diesel locomotive overhaul and restoration is looking a lot less attractive, and is less likely to generate a return.

2 hours ago, pheaton said:

LSLs wide variety of classic traction and almost endless cashflow means that diesel locomotive overhaul and restoration is looking a lot less attractive, and is less likely to generate a return.

On the plus side, there are many preserved diesels that operate on heritage railways that are mainline certified.

Class 25 D7628 Sybilla based on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway is one example but is only allowed on the Grosmont - Whitby and Whitby to Battersby routes.

also understand that both Class 24s are to be mainline certified once they've been restored.

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

On the plus side, there are many preserved diesels that operate on heritage railways that are mainline certified.

Class 25 D7628 Sybilla based on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway is one example but is only allowed on the Grosmont - Whitby and Whitby to Battersby routes.

also understand that both Class 24s are to be mainline certified once they've been restored.

There are derogations for Esk Valley operations, IIRC - there's no requirement for the full safety kit & certification that operation further afield would require. It's not cheap...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, pheaton said:

it represents the modern era of rail traction, it basic diesel electric principles are no different from a class 66...

Modern though?

That's like putting a 1950s TV and saying it represents modern technology. Far from it. It's old technology that was designed in what was basically the steam age.

However that post was nearly three years ago.....

What's with the current trend of digging up old threads?

Jason

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, MarkC said:

There are derogations for Esk Valley operations, IIRC - there's no requirement for the full safety kit & certification that operation further afield would require. It's not cheap...

It's a huge amount to mainline certify a locomotive and takes a lot of modification to get it up to Network Rail's standards.

That's also why many preserved locos that visit other railways are transported on the back of a lorry.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

24 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

It's a huge amount to mainline certify a locomotive and takes a lot of modification to get it up to Network Rail's standards.

That's also why many preserved locos that visit other railways are transported on the back of a lorry.

Without a doubt - but as the saying goes, "every little (saving) helps".

Actually, even fully certificated locomotives have been known to end up on a lorry - it can be cheaper to do that than pay NR/TOC charges. Madness...

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

its relatively cheap to tow a locomotive on the mainline it simply needs a FTR on the bogies, and ultrasonic axle test, its actually cheaper to transport a type 3 diesel and above by rail than it is by road.

for the esk valley line i seem to recall but could be wrong...only TPWS and working AWS is required, they are exempt from OTMR, GSMR, and will be exempt from ERTMS again this as far as i know this is because esk valley is still OTW sections with token block working, so its significantly cheaper to run trains on that line, they have a central locking exemption for mk1s as well.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, pheaton said:

For the esk valley line i seem to recall but could be wrong...only TPWS and working AWS is required, they are exempt from OTMR, GSMR, and will be exempt from ERTMS again this as far as i know this is because esk valley is still OTW sections with token block working, so its significantly cheaper to run trains on that line, they have a central locking exemption for mk1s as well.

I knew that the mainline certified locos had TPWS and AWS. All locomotives must have it in order to work in the mainline as well as the others you mentioned. 

I know that two of the NYMR fleet are actually fully certified to go beyond the NYMR: B1 1264 and K1 62005. I'm aware tgat 4mt 76079 was fully certified one time but I'm not entirely sure if it still ventures out from the NYMR and Esk Valley line.