Smoke Deflectors for Southern Lord Nelson and Schools

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know where I could obtain some smoke deflectors for Hornby Lord Nelson and Schools classes. I want to forward date and couple Southern models we ahve. Whether that be brass or plastic I don't mind. I have looked on Peter's Spares and they only have the left hand side deflector for the Schools and don't stock the right hand side one- weird.

Regards Connor

I bought some etched brass deflectors many, many years ago for the same reasons (to forward date a Hornby 'Eton'). I cannot for the life of me remember whose they were, but it means that such things may possibly still be available.

Hi Connor,

They are a bit chunky but have you thought about the deflectors from the old Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol Schools kit? I may even have a spare pair around in my bits boxes. If your avatar pic of a Barwell Bull is any hint I'm assuming you live in my neck of the woods so it should only cost me local postage to send them to you.

Dave R.   

Hi again,

With the mention of Dapol and the old Airfix Schools class they used to make. It may still be possible to buy spares from either company for the deflectors. I know I bought a load of 1/72 aircraft spares from Airfix a couple of years ago to rebuild some of my diecast aircraft collection into different versions.

Edited by cypherman

• RMweb Premium

Just be awere that if fitting smoke deflectors to Hornby’s E903 Charterhouse / E907 Dulwich, you will also need to alter the position of the lamp irons attached to the smoke box.

As the real Southern Railway discovered, the inwards lean of the deflectors meant there wasn’t space for the discs / lamps to be added unless the lamp irons were moved from their original position on to the smoke box door.

Not a particularly hard job but one that needs doing to complete the true ‘face’ of said locos with deflectors.

More generally however it’s most frustrating that Hornby have yet to offer a Maunsell liveried example with deflectors (and smokebox door mounted lamp irons) and I did raise the point with the Hornby rep at the Ally Pally show on Sunday. He did blame it on the previous management of the company,  it I am not entirely convinced that it’s as simple as that.....

Whether Hornby respond (and my moans about the lack of variety in configuration terms of the most recent N15 Olive releases) remains to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Just be awere that if fitting smoke deflectors to Hornby’s E903 Charterhouse / E907 Dulwich, you will also need to alter the position of the lamp irons attached to the smoke box.

As the real Southern Railway discovered, the inwards lean of the deflectors meant there wasn’t space for the discs / lamps to be added unless the lamp irons were moved from their original position on to the smoke box door.

Not a particularly hard job but one that needs doing to complete the true ‘face’ of said locos with deflectors.

More generally however it’s most frustrating that Hornby have yet to offer a Maunsell liveried example with deflectors (and smokebox door mounted lamp irons) and I did raise the point with the Hornby rep at the Ally Pally show on Sunday. He did blame it on the previous management of the company,  it I am not entirely convinced that it’s as simple as that.....

Whether Hornby respond (and my moans about the lack of variety in configuration terms of the most recent N15 Olive releases) remains to be seen.

Thanks for that, yes wanting to convert 907 to 900 and completely forgot about the lamp irons, where would I find them from?

I have an old Bachmann Nelson with deflectors, would it be worth nicking those off and putting them on the new Hornby model or would they be to chunky?

Regards Connor