PFA, by Accurascale 07/07/20 NEW RUN ANNOUNCED!

2 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Is that picture taken at Dalston in Cumbria?

Sorry, just realised I can click through to the Flickr site, which states in the caption that it is at Dalston, along with the date: 6 July 2012,  The viewpoint is closer to the oil sidings than some I've seen, which is useful.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember that the Cawood containers were used for coal to export to Ireland.  There’s plenty of pictures and information about the containers here in the UK but when they arrived in Ireland, were they forwarded by rail or on the back of a HGV?  If they went by rail, does Accurascale do the appropriate wagons for them?

Edited by jools1959

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I seem to remember that the Cawood containers were used for coal to export to Ireland.  There’s plenty of pictures and information about the containers here in the UK but when they arrived in Ireland, were they forwarded by rail or on the back of a HGV?  If they went by rail, does Accurascale do the appropriate wagons for them?

They mainly went on the backs of HGVs but were transported for a time on flat wagons. We don’t do the appropriate wagon yet...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 24/09/2020 at 18:06, Pegleg90 said:

If anyone’s after a low level nuclear pack Paul at Alton Model Centre had a set on display still.

Think they had a British gypsum pack and British fuels red on display also.

Regards

Ali

Here's the link to their website - https://www.altonmodelcentre.co.uk/new-arrivals/oo-oo-9-gauge-railways/

the LLW Repository is at Drigg so all LLW traffic ends up there. I believe that it is sourced from most reactor plants being compacted or otherwise treated in some form before being containerised and sent to Drigg (but could be wrong). I'm not sure where the Low level Medical Radioactive waste and other LL waste is containerised.

H-T-H

Ian_B

• RMweb Gold

I recall seeing a video about this traffic, the containers don't contain anything too exciting.. its things like overalls, building material left overs, paperwork, rubbish etc that has been used / disposed of on the nuclear sites.

• Thanks 1

That's correct. anything that is  not heavily contaminated, plus other Radioactive sources that require disposal Wikipedia defines it as :-

Low-level waste (LLW) is nuclear waste that does not fit into the categorical definitions for intermediate-level waste (ILW), high-level waste (HLW), spent nuclear fuel (SNF), transuranic waste (TRU), or certain byproduct materials known as 11e(2) wastes, such as uranium mill tailings. In essence, it is a definition by exclusion, and LLW is that category of radioactive wastes that do not fit into the other categories. If LLW is mixed with hazardous wastes, then it has a special status as mixed low-level waste (MLLW) and must satisfy treatment, storage, and disposal regulations both as LLW and as hazardous waste. While the bulk of LLW is not highly radioactive, the definition of LLW does not include references to its activity, and some LLW may be quite radioactive, as in the case of radioactive sources used in industry and medicine.

The USNRC defines it as:-

Low-level waste includes items that have become contaminated with radioactive material or have become radioactive through exposure to neutron radiation. This waste typically consists of contaminated protective shoe covers and clothing, wiping rags, mops, filters, reactor water treatment residues, equipments and tools, luminous dials, medical tubes, swabs, injection needles, syringes, and laboratory animal carcasses and tissues. The radioactivity can range from just above background levels found in nature to very highly radioactive in certain cases such as parts from inside the reactor vessel in a nuclear power plant. Low-level waste is typically stored on-site by licensees, either until it has decayed away and can be disposed of as ordinary trash, or until amounts are large enough for shipment to a low-level waste disposal site in containers approved by the Department of Transportation.

Ian_B

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen the odd pic of a PFA flat or two as part of the late 90s / early 2000s Enterprise mixed freights. Does anyone know if any of the Accurascale releases are correct for such a train? Obviously it wouldn't be the nuclear versions, and I wouldn't have thought it would be the British Fuels version, but not sure if any of the releases fit the bill? The pics I've seen had unbranded containers, so not sure what they are carrying.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, daveahudson said:

I've seen the odd pic of a PFA flat or two as part of the late 90s / early 2000s Enterprise mixed freights. Does anyone know if any of the Accurascale releases are correct for such a train? Obviously it wouldn't be the nuclear versions, and I wouldn't have thought it would be the British Fuels version, but not sure if any of the releases fit the bill? The pics I've seen had unbranded containers, so not sure what they are carrying.

British Fuels did indeed run in Enterprise services. Our handy formation guide should help! 

901484083_PFAformationguide.jpg.e63c098736740895e7d3637ec36adf85.jpg

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

I remember the Cawoods train from South Wales. (Pantyffynon/Abercomboi) to Ellesemere Port starting up in the May 1987 timetable, although I think a few trains ran before that date. In fact the train starting resulted in me getting made up to a driver at Hereford because of the extra work they brought to the depot. I and some of my friends took a few photos of the train over the years, and they can now be found in a dedicated album on my Flickr site, which will grow as i find and scan more photos.  https://flic.kr/s/aHsmLX96XM

Paul J.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Swindon 123 said:

I remember the Cawoods train from South Wales. (Pantyffynon/Abercomboi) to Ellesemere Port starting up in the May 1987 timetable, although I think a few trains ran before that date. In fact the train starting resulted in me getting made up to a driver at Hereford because of the extra work they brought to the depot. I and some of my friends took a few photos of the train over the years, and they can now be found in a dedicated album on my Flickr site, which will grow as i find and scan more photos.  https://flic.kr/s/aHsmLX96XM

Paul J.

Just had a look at your Flickr site. Some great photos. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

British Fuels did indeed run in Enterprise services. Our handy formation guide should help! 

Cheers!

Fran

Fran, you should do a collection of you formation guides and routes.

Ian_B

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Cheers!

Fran

The Enterprise network was used to get anywhere from one wagon upto most I saw was I think 9 one time to Mossend and Aberdeen from Immingham and Knottingley via Doncaster Belmont. Mixed rakes of British Fuels and CPL including both unbranded variants could be seen during the late 90s to early 2000s in the Enterprise trip workings.

• Like 3