PFA, by Accurascale 07/07/20 NEW RUN ANNOUNCED!

Not my modelling era, but this is a cracking choice by Accurascale of an interesting prototype, and its one of those wagons that you can justify anywhere coupled to most classes of loco. Hope it is a success! 

• Like 1

Have these been used by the MOD at any point loaded with the distinctive side door red containers?

in terms of bundle deals, is there (or can there be) one for a mixed set of yellow & red ones?

just need the JG Russell 30ft FPA & coal containers and we’d have 1990s household coal tied up nicely.

thanks

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Have these been used by the MOD at any point loaded with the distinctive side door red containers?

in terms of bundle deals, is there (or can there be) one for a mixed set of yellow & red ones?

just need the JG Russell 30ft FPA & coal containers and we’d have 1990s household coal tied up nicely.

thanks

The MoD ones are the former Procor/Kellys built by Procor to a different design and was available as an etched kit from A1 many years ago!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Very nice and I do very much like that - much as with all your wagons so far - that full and varied rakes are available all in one swoop.  You can't help thinking that some of the other manufacturers have missed a very obvious trick by not offering wagon sets - firstly from a sales viewpoint they make for very attractive and irresistible eye-candy, while secondly are of course very useful for the modeller.  Super stuff!  Definitely DRS and British Gypsum sets when I get around to ordering.  :)

Edited by YesTor
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, YesTor said:

Very nice and I do very much like that - much as with all your wagons so far - that full and varied rakes are available all in one swoop.  You can't help thinking that some of the other manufacturers have missed a very obvious trick by not offering wagon sets - firstly from a sales viewpoint they make for very attractive and irresistible eye-candy, while secondly are of course very useful for the modeller.  Super stuff!  Definitely DRS and British Gypsum sets when I get around to ordering.  :)

Hornby did try that for a few years in the early 2000s. Albeit, each year, you would see a set of 3 wagons but with different running numbers. I built up an entire train Vee tanks, all numbered differently, compliemented a little with Lima and Bachmann PCAs.

Back to topic, did these PFAs get as far as Ireland or was it only the containers that was sent over? And if the latter, was there an equivalent Irish wagon waiting for them?

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Back to topic, did these PFAs get as far as Ireland or was it only the containers that was sent over? And if the latter, was there an equivalent Irish wagon waiting for them?

The containers made it but were mainly road hauled on the Irish side 

• Thanks 1

On 23/03/2019 at 10:15, SouthernMafia said:

Nice, any chance of those Gypsum containers being made available as a separate product? ;)

I was wondering the same about the Cawood containers. I have ordered the full lot of 12 but maybe could do with one or two more packs to take the rake to a more realistic 15/18 wagons. Was thinking about buying 1 or 2 British Fuel packs, and if the containers were available separately, swap out the BF ones for the Cawoods. I wouldn’t need to mess about renumbering wagons as a result. 

Edited by 66738

On 23/03/2019 at 10:01, adb968008 said:

Now boys if you need any suggestions what to do next... No one so far has done a Binliner (Waste / refuge train)

At least you stopped short of 'refugee!'

14 hours ago, gridwatcher said:

Great choice..... give me a shout for the next idea....it'll have 16 wheels!

Do NOT commission The F***, repeat clearly: Do - NOT - commission - The F***.

9 hours ago, YesTor said:

You can't help thinking that some of the other manufacturers have missed a very obvious trick by not offering wagon sets - firstly from a sales viewpoint they make for very attractive and irresistible eye-candy, while secondly are of course very useful for the modeller.  

Heljan offered their Catfish (?) as a four-pack, Hornby has done numerous bundles, and only yesterday I hoovered up a Bachmann/ TMC 6-piece comprising weathered 16T mineral wagons.  I think it's very much a case-by-case thing.  Accurascale's choices of prototype, most of which are operated in block train consists, particularly lend themselves to this type of retailing.  But it's certainly not confined to Accurascale, all the major players have their eyes on the different sales strategies available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Hornby did try that for a few years in the early 2000s. Albeit, each year, you would see a set of 3 wagons but with different running numbers. I built up an entire train Vee tanks, all numbered differently, compliemented a little with Lima and Bachmann PCAs.

They were transhipped to waiting vessels at whichever port was currently being used; Cardiff was one, Ellesmere Port another. I have seen them on board a small ship from Cardiff, (owned by Coastal Shipping, IIRC) from the end of Penarth Pier. No idea if they ever proceeded by rail in Ireland; I suspect it would be by road.

There was another operator, Kelly's, who used to send containers from various Welsh sources; however, they simply tipped the load into the ship, rather than transferring the container, which is a bit odd.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

They were transhipped to waiting vessels at whichever port was currently being used; Cardiff was one, Ellesmere Port another. I have seen them on board a small ship from Cardiff, (owned by Coastal Shipping, IIRC) from the end of Penarth Pier. No idea if they ever proceeded by rail in Ireland; I suspect it would be by road.

There was another operator, Kelly's, who used to send containers from various Welsh sources; however, they simply tipped the load into the ship, rather than transferring the container, which is a bit odd.

The idea behind the Cawoods being containerised was to avoid handling after loading at the colliery. This was to reduce breakage when being loaded into ships and then grabbed to discharge, leading to loss of value when sold as Lynemouth was loading them with high value house coal!

59 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The South Wales traffic was mainly anthracite, not as friable as bituminous coal, but rather more valuable. Was the Kelly's traffic anthracite duff for briquettes, I wonder? Swansea used to deal with lots of that in the days of unfitted (and leaky) open minerals.

one was on the back of a train in the last 4 weeks on a train to & from Onllwyn wash plant

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Pay no attention to him. He doesn’t have to buy it if he doesn’t want it.

Go and lobby Barwell for one; let Accurascale focus on things us Waverlites need - like Sturgeons and Class 100 Gloucesters :P

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The MoD ones are the former Procor/Kellys built by Procor to a different design and was available as an etched kit from A1 many years ago!

Unfortunately, whilst you can get Plastic and Brass kits for the wagons there's only laser cut wood for the containers. I wasn't satisfied with the results when I painted them. C-Rail would be much better, but Arran doesn't feel there's enough of  a market to make it worthwhile.

Ian_B

No way I can resist these! Full DRS set ordered. Perfect for short layout shunting. 

Any chance of doing the MoD variants? I would have an awful lot of those!

Edited by Tugs
Typos!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/03/2019 at 07:50, JSpencer said:

22 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I'm no expert, but with the Irish Standard Gauge being 5' 3" then the wagons couldn't have operated on the Irish rail system.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, definate maybe said:

. Great announcement and one i didnt see coming. I dont suppose there is an N gauge tie up planned is there? I know some of your releases have been done in partnership with other suppliers in the smaller size

Regards 

Mark 

Hi Mark,

Best course of action there is to lobby the manufacturers we have done N gauge tie ups with already. You might persuade one of them!

Cheers,

Fran

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Fran and all at IRM towers,

Great work - yes N would be fun as well ! 

However do I spot a bit of a crossover , looking at the Ballina - Limerick coal flows in Rails through the West the containers do look the same - You know you want to and sell coal containers on there own ... 

Cheers

Robert   

40 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

I'm no expert, but with the Irish Standard Gauge being 5' 3" then the wagons couldn't have operated on the Irish rail system.

thats right but as the coal is in a container on the wagon then the container can cross the sea on put on another wagon in Ireland