PFA, by Accurascale 07/07/20 NEW RUN ANNOUNCED!

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, BR Blue said:

Did the wagons just stay in Ellesmere Port until the containers returned?

I saw Cawoods empties going east and loaded going west at Manchester Victoria in the late 80/early90’s. Different locos, but not too far apart in time, maybe an hour, 2 max (enough time for a school kid to wakeup around 10, drag himself to vic by lunch and be out on one of the club trains around 5).

That said I dont recall seeing empty PFA wagons in the consist.

Were they fixed length trains ?, as if variable then some empties would end up sitting round waiting for a container ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just ordered the cawoods bundle very excited for these, have had a problem with the bundle discount but I'm sure it will get sorted out 

David 

*EDIT - problem sorted in record time thanks accurascale *

Edited by d winpenny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

PFA on the returning Seaton-Sellafield Flasks, it was also MT on the outward working with a couple of flasks earlier that day. 68034+004 Seaton-Sellafield 7Nov17

DSC01585  68034+004 Seaton-Sellafield 7Nov17

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
data
  • Like 6

When British Fuels aquired some of the Cawood PFA’s, did the wagons stick solely to BF traffic or did they sometimes go back to carrying Cawoods? 

I ask because I have ordered all four Cawoods packs but ideally could do with another 3. (Could fit 16 wagons + loco  in fiddle yard but 15 will do).

My mate is wanting to model the BF version, and he’d be up for us both buying an extra pack and swapping the wagons over. But keeping the containers, giving us both 15 different numbered wagons. It would definitely work for the Cawoods as they all started off as the Yellow ones but not sure about the BF ones. Did any of the wagons in the Cawood packs become BF wagons? If BF wagons solely worked with BF containers, does anyone have a wagon fleet list for British Fuel PFA’s?

Hope this ramble is understood.

cheers

2 hours ago, 66738 said:

When British Fuels aquired some of the Cawood PFA’s, did the wagons stick solely to BF traffic or did they sometimes go back to carrying Cawoods? 

I ask because I have ordered all four Cawoods packs but ideally could do with another 3. (Could fit 16 wagons + loco  in fiddle yard but 15 will do).

My mate is wanting to model the BF version, and he’d be up for us both buying an extra pack and swapping the wagons over. But keeping the containers, giving us both 15 different numbered wagons. It would definitely work for the Cawoods as they all started off as the Yellow ones but not sure about the BF ones. Did any of the wagons in the Cawood packs become BF wagons? If BF wagons solely worked with BF containers, does anyone have a wagon fleet list for British Fuel PFA’s?

Hope this ramble is understood.

cheers

British Fuels (a subsidiary of British Coal) were apparently the parent company of Cawoods until 1996, so the re-liverying looks as though it might have been largely cosmetic. 

On 28/03/2019 at 15:01, Irishswissernie said:

I have been checking out info on where the Cawoods containers went to in Ireland and as far as I can gather they were mainly shipped from Ellesmere Port to Northern Ireland where Cawoods were based. As NIR had given up on internal freight traffic earlier it is extremely unlikely that any containers were transported by rail or into the Republic ports.

Ernie

I've had a reply from a contact in Dublin:

Hi Ernie
I remember the yellow Cawoods 20ft containers well, but the traffic only ran for a short period, the coal came in thru Greenore Port, then road to Barrack St Dundalk, then by rail to Arklow, I didn't manage to get decent photos, in was in year 1991.

Ernie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Hi Ernie
I remember the yellow Cawoods 20ft containers well, but the traffic only ran for a short period, the coal came in thru Greenore Port, then road to Barrack St Dundalk, then by rail to Arklow, I didn't manage to get decent photos, in was in year 1991.

Ernie

We have a photo, but not the permission to publish it, yet...

7 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Hi Ernie

Ernie

I lived right beside Barracks street depot, 1991 was not a good year for spotting as I was mostly at sea, but I like that we  know they were there.

On 24/03/2019 at 12:45, McC said:

Here is a direct link to the DRS packs - https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/pfa-2-axle-container-flat-wagon/drs?grid_list=grid-view

Buy all three and you can get a 10% discount too (use the bundle link you'll find on any of the product detail pages)

HTH!

Stephen

OK, thank you. Sadly, I just do not see these containers which seem to be on every PFA DRS diagram of recent. The half sized containers have not been seen in some years, certainly not since 68/88s have exclusively taken over NDA work on request of EDF. I take it you do not intend to produce the container as per photos (below). Or would you consider for a second run? As then you can consider me as customer. Please :)

07-03-2019 Berkeley

Copyright andy jones flickr.com

88003, 88001, St Bees, 17 October 2018 (31)

Copyright brel158701 flickr.com

On 24/03/2019 at 15:42, McC said:

Just on those Gypsum containers - we've no evidence they ever ran on the PFA's, so they are not in this run, but if anyone has data to prove otherwise....

OK no worries, someone has explained to me that there are 'original' gypsum ones as you have captured and 'modern' gypsum ones that operate with GBRf on FEA-S. Fingers crossed someone shall make the modern one! 

16 hours ago, 159220 said:

OK, thank you. Sadly, I just do not see these containers which seem to be on every PFA DRS diagram of recent. The half sized containers have not been seen in some years

Half size one's my be for a comeback as there's a two page pic in "Rail Express" this month (No,275) showing the new FNA flask wagons at WH Davies and there seems to be a lot of new half size container there or just a coincidence with them doing new wagons for DRS

Edited by 25901

8 hours ago, 25901 said:

Half size one's my be for a comeback as there's a two page pic in "Rail Express" this month (No,275) showing the new FNA flask wagons at WH Davies and there seems to be a lot of new half size container there or just a coincidence with them doing new wagons for DRS

You mean this photo?: 

Making up the train at WH Davis, Shirebrook

Copyright Flickr. robmcrorie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robmcrorie/ 

I can follow their photos for hours, wonderful drone photos of the UK railways. Must resist now...as

Ive done some research on these containers, they are ISO 9001 IP-2 for SINGLE USE (sealed with grout) Low Level Radioactive Waste (LLW), the 2910 design is the most used. They carry gloves, paper etc that is contaminated and are stored at the Drigg Low Level Waste Repository (LLWR), near Sellafield - read this if interested: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/712374/LLW11672_Logistic_Services_final.pdf. They are ONLY licensed to be transported by road. As they are single use, they are manufactured by a number of NDA contractors - WH Davis (http://www.whdavis.co.uk/index.php/products/containers/nuclear/) being one, I have also found Bootle Containers and Y M C Container Solutions.

IMG_1852.JPG

There is a very useful document on the containers here: http://www.croftltd.com/pdf/PATRAM-2010-Oral-Paper-415-v13-low-res.pdf 

Some pages of interest, I attach below. 

300619301_PATRAM-2010-Oral-Paper-415-v13-low-res5.jpg.c7b2cc85077c9f762f308aaa1085f9e7.jpg

493384266_PATRAM-2010-Oral-Paper-415-v13-low-res8.jpg.65475857510d74f362b59ea153d8d83a.jpg

1350630140_PATRAM-2010-Oral-Paper-415-v13-low-res9.jpg.33c50abb5739a417b2180972b4f2fc37.jpg

1422221935_PATRAM-2010-Oral-Paper-415-v13-low-res12.jpg.22943b5612c602651abe6ca420324b91.jpg

Thus, my question to Accurascale as perhaps I have not been clear in my two previous questions - apologies. Do you plan to produce either the IP2 ISO sealed container number 2896 or bolted 3573 designs? I.E. the full height and the only ones licensed to be transported by rail (on PFAs). 

Here is a Gov list of all nuclear containers for those who have a interested/curious mind (shows the NIREX steel container used inside the Nuclear Flasks): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjs5qvunazhAhVKSxUIHZBuDCoQFjACegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.publishing.service.gov.uk%2Fgovernment%2Fuploads%2Fsystem%2Fuploads%2Fattachment_data%2Ffile%2F762767%2FNWP-SS-005_Container_Signposting_Resource_Issue_2_06-11-18.xlsx&usg=AOvVaw0bJ-A4pHRupnE-F6tBapiu

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, arran said:

HI All

There were the odd tank container on the PFA that ran from Mossend .

Regards Arran

IMG_1104a.jpg

I think I can remember seeing something similar on the Doncaster to Mossend enterprise in the early 2000s.

Can anyone confirm?

Edited by RP82

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2019 at 12:22, 159220 said:

You mean this photo?: 

Making up the train at WH Davis, Shirebrook

Copyright Flickr. robmcrorie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robmcrorie/ 

I can follow their photos for hours, wonderful drone photos of the UK railways. Must resist now...as

Ive done some research on these containers, they are ISO 9001 IP-2 for SINGLE USE (sealed with grout) Low Level Radioactive Waste (LLW), the 2910 design is the most used. They carry gloves, paper etc that is contaminated and are stored at the Drigg Low Level Waste Repository (LLWR), near Sellafield - read this if interested: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/712374/LLW11672_Logistic_Services_final.pdf. They are ONLY licensed to be transported by road. As they are single use, they are manufactured by a number of NDA contractors - WH Davis (http://www.whdavis.co.uk/index.php/products/containers/nuclear/) being one, I have also found Bootle Containers and Y M C Container Solutions.

IMG_1852.JPG

There is a very useful document on the containers here: http://www.croftltd.com/pdf/PATRAM-2010-Oral-Paper-415-v13-low-res.pdf 

Some pages of interest, I attach below. 

300619301_PATRAM-2010-Oral-Paper-415-v13-low-res5.jpg.c7b2cc85077c9f762f308aaa1085f9e7.jpg

493384266_PATRAM-2010-Oral-Paper-415-v13-low-res8.jpg.65475857510d74f362b59ea153d8d83a.jpg

1350630140_PATRAM-2010-Oral-Paper-415-v13-low-res9.jpg.33c50abb5739a417b2180972b4f2fc37.jpg

1422221935_PATRAM-2010-Oral-Paper-415-v13-low-res12.jpg.22943b5612c602651abe6ca420324b91.jpg

Thus, my question to Accurascale as perhaps I have not been clear in my two previous questions - apologies. Do you plan to produce either the IP2 ISO sealed container number 2896 or bolted 3573 designs? I.E. the full height and the only ones licensed to be transported by rail (on PFAs). 

Here is a Gov list of all nuclear containers for those who have a interested/curious mind (shows the NIREX steel container used inside the Nuclear Flasks): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjs5qvunazhAhVKSxUIHZBuDCoQFjACegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.publishing.service.gov.uk%2Fgovernment%2Fuploads%2Fsystem%2Fuploads%2Fattachment_data%2Ffile%2F762767%2FNWP-SS-005_Container_Signposting_Resource_Issue_2_06-11-18.xlsx&usg=AOvVaw0bJ-A4pHRupnE-F6tBapiu

We May do the full height containers as part of a future production run depending on sales of the current range.

cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys, 

I was just about to order the three wagon packs, but just struggling to justify the cost....

Is there a problem at mission control?

Tried reloading page but still comes up with these prices :unsure:

Will try again tomorrow.

Cheers

Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 17.44.24.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDee said:

Hi Guys, 

I was just about to order the three wagon packs, but just struggling to justify the cost....

Will try again tomorrow.

Cheers

Ah, You are trying to buy the real thing!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BigDee said:

Hi Guys, 

Will try again tomorrow.

Cheers

Hi there,

No, you have to pay for quality this good! Haha

Hmm, empty the cart and add them again? We will look into it this side!

Cheers!

Fran

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I would very much like to buy one of these wagons, to use as a drawing to build a 1:87 scale model. If anyone would like to buy a pair to run on their layout (or indeed 5 but not 6, or 8 not 9...), please send me a PM and we could split a pack of 3. I don't mind which container.

Many thanks.

- Richard.

On 31/03/2019 at 14:16, 071 said:

We May do the full height containers as part of a future production run depending on sales of the current range.

cheers!

Fran

Great! Consider my custom for those and any possible separate gypsum containers. Might have the class 88 by then too! 

• RMweb Gold

Evening Fran,

DRS bundle set ordered, price shown with 10% discount, made full payment via Paypal during PayPal login price went up 10%....

I'll drop you a line with the order number.

At least they were a lot cheaper than last night :)

• Funny 2

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:15, RP82 said:

I think I can remember seeing something similar on the Doncaster to Mossend enterprise in the early 2000s.

Can anyone confirm?

they were indeed in the consist from Doncaster to Mossend for slurry traffic from Europe

IMG_2348.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2