PFA, by Accurascale 07/07/20 NEW RUN ANNOUNCED!

9 minutes ago, newbryford said:

They won't be a Stafford.

DL is a nuclear-free zone - apart from a few DRS locos.

:offtopic:

Nuclear Wagon - Derby

57002 tnt 57010, 2 empty Nuclear Flasks for overhaul, at Derby on 9.7.14 with 6Z28 0703 Carlisle Kingmoor Sdg(Drs)  -  Derby Adtranz Litchurch Ln move. Balfour Beatty livery 20's No's 20142 & 20189 can also be seen

The above are both empty workings, presumably from WH Davis' yard. So we can run nuclear stuff WHEN Accurascale announce a new FNA wagon or when my set of KUAs arrives - it’s got 8 axles, it’ll do!

A loaded nuclear working passed on the Stenson-Sheet Stores line, which Mick confessed he allowed freights on DL from...

04-11-15 Direct Rail Services 66301 - 6Z45 Immingham - Crewe

And to get back on topic, no excuse to forbid PFAs from being on the RTC! Wrong type I know...

PFA PR93209 and 08656 at Derby RTC - 8 Aug 1987

Jack.

• Like 7

I've just had a go at trying to convert a PFA to EM and not had much joy. First attempt was to widen the existing wheelsets but this doesn't allow the wheels to turn due to the thickness of the wheelset. So i thought I'd try dropping in a DCC concepts wheel and i think the axle is a bit longer so doesn't turn. I just wondered what is the axle length and diameter used on the OO wheelset?

Thanks

Will

Hi

I received my Cawood/Brithish Fuel PFA's last week and they are amazing. Unfortunately I have neither a large logo 56 or any coal sector locos at the moment. However, I do have a Railfreight 56 and wondered if anyone could advise if they ever worked these trains. 

Many thanks

Tim

5 hours ago, pinzaboy said:

Hi

I received my Cawood/Brithish Fuel PFA's last week and they are amazing. Unfortunately I have neither a large logo 56 or any coal sector locos at the moment. However, I do have a Railfreight 56 and wondered if anyone could advise if they ever worked these trains. 

Many thanks

Tim

56135 in original railfreight grey was a GD so would have appeared in the NE to Ellesmere Port flow.

I've found this on Flickr as evidence:

Wrong Road Grids (Michael McNicholas)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55879910@N02/16226629163

• Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

56135 in original railfreight grey was a GD so would have appeared in the NE to Ellesmere Port flow.

I've found this on Flickr as evidence:

Wrong Road Grids (Michael McNicholas)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55879910@N02/16226629163

Hmmm. Running facing road through Hebden Bridge, or for some reason these have hooked on the rear, and are going to go over the signalled main to main cross over back towards Milneroyd Junction. Great picture.

Edited by 66738

Considering how popular the DRS wagons have been, seriously hoping that Accurascale do another run with full height containers as used nowadays, or some of the other different nuclear waste loads carried on these wagons.

The wagons associated with nuclear traffic are seemingly quite popular with modellers judging by the demand so far for the DRS PFAs and the KUAs, so bodes well for maybe some other nuclear wagon types being produced in the future.

Edited by North Star Depot
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, North Star Depot said:

Considering how popular the DRS wagons have been, seriously hoping that Accurascale do another run with full height containers as used nowadays, or some of the other different nuclear waste loads carried on these wagons.

The wagons associated with nuclear traffic are seemingly quite popular with modellers judging by the demand so far for the DRS PFAs and the KUAs, so bodes well for maybe some other nuclear wagon types being produced in the future.

This comment is everything. I completely agree. 

I have ordered DRS PFA Pack N and if more of Pack O which are also DRS PFAs become available I will likely buy those as well. But I would like some further PFAs in future. Preferably the latest full height PFAs that have been used for the past few years with various DRS locomotives especially DRS Class 68s which have rarely been used with the half height PFAs that Accurascale have already produced. 

Come on Accurascale, you know you want to...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

The coal containers were loaded on the wagons at the collieries!

By that do you mean the empty containers were loaded with coal while on the wagons or the loaded containers were Placed on the wagons at the collieries? 

1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

Spare coal containers would be welcome as scenic items at loading points 

Like the background to this pic that’s already been posted on here, might be expensive if anyone wants to do a Drigg based layout.

7B9A3B37-290B-4485-B409-E0E8B3B64070.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We’ll certainly be expanding the range of containers for these in run 2. I shall say no more....

Hi Fran,

I could easily decide to run the Sellafield to Hull working if you do another run but with the larger boxes. That’s a nice working to top and tail and had 37’s on it in the past too. (If you know anyone that’s doing some nice 37/6’s of course!) lol.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

7 hours ago, big jim said:

By that do you mean the empty containers were loaded with coal while on the wagons or the loaded containers were Placed on the wagons at the collieries? 

Once they were used on domestic flows rather than to NI, they would have been offloaded to road for final delivery.

yes you are right,  in terms of loading, they didn’t get removed, I should have been more clear, sorry.

11 hours ago, big jim said:

The wagon and container were treat as a wagon till they arrived at the port as in Cawoods traffic and the railhead for onward distribution of the containers by road to the final customer!

Just after receiving my first Accurascale purchase after being an IRM customer since day 1. To say I'm extremely impressed in an understatement with my DRS bundle pack.

To me these PFA wagons are a few levels ahead of anything produced under the IRM brand bar maybe the plough vans. The Accurascale packaging is also alot more premium than the IRM range while at the same time the price point per wagon is alot cheaper.

Having examined and ran the PFAs over the weekend I can't help but feel what happened the Project 42 range. I was so impressed I went and ordered the Cawoods bundle before they sold out due to their Irish connection despite having nothing suitable to haul them. I really can wait for the TPE Mk5s and KUAs I have on order after purchasing these. Amazing little wagons and so cheap too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Fitzer said:

Just after receiving my first Accurascale purchase after being an IRM customer since day 1. To say I'm extremely impressed in an understatement with my DRS bundle pack.

To me these PFA wagons are a few levels ahead of anything produced under the IRM brand bar maybe the plough vans. The Accurascale packaging is also alot more premium than the IRM range while at the same time the price point per wagon is alot cheaper.

Having examined and ran the PFAs over the weekend I can't help but feel what happened the Project 42 range. I was so impressed I went and ordered the Cawoods bundle before they sold out due to their Irish connection despite having nothing suitable to haul them. I really can wait for the TPE Mk5s and KUAs I have on order after purchasing these. Amazing little wagons and so cheap too.

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for the feedback and I am glad you are happy with your PFAs.

Regarding price, I think it is very important to remember economies of scale. We will produce far less Irish wagons over the lifetime of the tooling compared to an Accurascale wagon, as we have explained on the IRM forum previously. This is why the purchase price is higher for IRM products. The 42 wagon is also fully diecast frame, and bigger than the PFA. The running issues experienced with some 42ft liner flats are regrettable but have affected a small percentage of models. We have worked hard over Christmas to rectify these issues and are ensuring that the issue does not affect the rest of the 42ft flat based releases.

Many thanks,

Fran

• Thanks 1

Thanks Fran,

What really stands out to me is the feel ane weight of the PTAs, to me an unloaded PTA feels more weighty and solid than the 42. I think it's just due to the prototype construction with the PTA being a particularly beefy wagon compared to an Irish 20 or 22ft flat.

Anyways, can't wait for the full height LLNW loads.

• RMweb Premium
On 12/01/2020 at 12:00, pinzaboy said:

Hi

Many thanks

Tim

Neil Harvey's excelent Diesels in the Upper Calder Valley collection on Flickr shows there's plenty of other choice of motive power:

Rail freight 37 899

BR Blue 47 334

Large logo blue 56 118

Coal Sector 56 119

Triple grey (no sector markings) 56 115

Steven B.

On 12/01/2020 at 18:42, 66738 said:

Hmmm. Running facing road through Hebden Bridge, or for some reason these have hooked on the rear, and are going to go over the signalled main to main cross over back towards Milneroyd Junction. Great picture.

The caption by photographer Michael McNicholas posted on the Flickr page with the photo explains this:  "A pair of Grids on the Ellesmere Port to Blyth Cawoods empties was very rare. Even rarer was the fact that they were running wrong line through Hebden Bridge station - presumably due to engineering work. 56118 and 56135 were captured on Saturday, the 7th May 1988 at 17:40."

I have to say they are absolutely exquisite! And even more so when you consider the price. Good value (by today's standards) I'd say.

I'm a first time Accurascale buyer too, but was drawn in the all the previous posts and failed to resist! Even though I had to apply Rule 1.

As a previous poster said on this thread, on the DRS ones a frame is fitted (in real life) on which the container sits to raise it up to clear the wheels. The Cawood containers (in real life) had indentations in the bottom to clear the wheels. The frame (accurately modelled) is easily removed should you want to run them totally empty.

I took some snaps on my phone earlier (so sorry about the poor quality) - I only realised I'd put the container on upside down just now; please be gentle...! (Old age eyesight)

The finesse is truly remarkable.

My only question is what is the best way of removing the coupling from its pocket? It didn't seem obvious to me, and I didn't want to do any damage.

Accurascale's otherwise excellent history and information sheet (fab - well done) is silent on the subject. Advice please!

PFA 3.jpg

PFA 1.jpg

PFA 2.jpg

PFA 4.jpg

PFA 5.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/01/2020 at 11:42, dj_crisp said:

I've just had a go at trying to convert a PFA to EM and not had much joy. First attempt was to widen the existing wheelsets but this doesn't allow the wheels to turn due to the thickness of the wheelset. So i thought I'd try dropping in a DCC concepts wheel and i think the axle is a bit longer so doesn't turn. I just wondered what is the axle length and diameter used on the OO wheelset?

Thanks

Will

You might want to try a bearing drill like the one here from Knowle Model Works:

I've used it on a few wagons now where things have been a bit tight for 26mm axles with P4 wheels.

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Mel_H said:

My only question is what is the best way of removing the coupling from its pocket? It didn't seem obvious to me, and I didn't want to do any damage.

Accurascale's otherwise excellent history and information sheet (fab - well done) is silent on the subject. Advice please!

The couplers are in standard NEM pockets. 

Just firmly grip the wagon, hold the coupler between your fingers and give it a steady pull, it should pop right out. If it's a little firm, a small tweezers to squeeze the NEM prongs just behind the coupler pocket will help.

You can then easily replace the coupler with the NEM compatible solution of your choice. HTH!

Screenshot 2020-01-13 at 21.21.40.png

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/01/2020 at 22:09, black and decker boy said:

Spare coal containers would be welcome as scenic items at loading points 

13 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The wagon and container were treat as a wagon till they arrived at the port as in Cawoods traffic and the railhead for onward distribution of the containers by road to the final customer!

found this on Flickr    Onllwyn Disposal Point

Derby [D3780] 1959  (2016_07_01)

Edited by mozzer models
  • Like 2