PFA, by Accurascale 07/07/20 NEW RUN ANNOUNCED!

Really interested in these as I had frequent holidays in W. Yorkshire in the late 90s. The remarkably inexpensive Metro Rover saw British Gypsum trains thru Keighley, Castleford and empty flats at Knottingley (cripples?).

Can I ask Fran, it appears Accurascale are producing proportionally more blue Gypsum containers than white? The trains I remember were actually like that, but your most recently posted picture suggests entirely the opposite! 

C6T. 

• Agree 1

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 22:58, tommyboy said:

they were indeed in the consist from Doncaster to Mossend for slurry traffic from Europe

IMG_2348.jpg

Are you sure that this traffic originated on the Continent as I understood it was roaded from the Quarry in East Yorkshire to Doncaster and replaced the rail traffic from North Ferriby in the Croxton and Garry PDA's.

• RMweb Premium

I notice that no-one seems to have picked up on the "spacers" that are in DRS use?

(They are shown on the empty PFA in the original Accurascale ad though...….)

They are the frames made from box section steel

They are used because the wheels splashers/wheel guards protrude above the deck. I believe the Cawoods boxes had suitable recesses inside them to avoid the wheel splashers.

Here's a few closeup pics taken at Kingmoor open day in 2013

Note the round discs on the middle wagon and 92760 - but absent on 92766 - edit: see post below - they are the axle bearing covers

DSCF6934.JPG.7b92dc01a80ebb7938c8a2a803f4a3a7.JPG

DSCF6936.JPG.8c544e042aa172d811e1b6082afd76a9.JPG

DSCF6940s.jpg.f9ccb63ba5dadaecb5039294974d827a.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
corrected info
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

I notice that no-one seems to have picked up on the "spacers" that are in DRS use?

(They are shown on the empty PFA in the original Accurascale ad though...….)

They are the frames made from box section steel

They are used because the wheels splashers protrude above the deck. I believe the Cawoods boxes had suitable recesses inside them to avoid the wheel splashers.

Here's a few closeup pics taken at Kingmoor open day in 2013

Note the round discs on the middle wagon and 92760 - but absent on 92766

DSCF6934.JPG.7b92dc01a80ebb7938c8a2a803f4a3a7.JPG

DSCF6936.JPG.8c544e042aa172d811e1b6082afd76a9.JPG

DSCF6940s.jpg.f9ccb63ba5dadaecb5039294974d827a.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Those 2 wagons look like they have been prepared for a UAT (Ultrasonic Axle Test), the round discs placed on the wagon are retaining plates for the bearing (referred to as thrust plates, think other names are used aswell), hence the reason the yellow square covers are missing.

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Mick,

Those 2 wagons look like they have been prepared for a UAT (Ultrasonic Axle Test), the round discs placed on the wagon are retaining plates for the bearing (referred to as thrust plates, think other names are used aswell), hence the reason the yellow square covers are missing.

Cheers

Simon

Of course! The yellow cover plates are visible laid on the wagons.

17 hours ago, newbryford said:

They are used because the wheels splashers protrude above the deck. I believe the Cawoods boxes had suitable recesses inside them to avoid the wheel splashers.

Cheers,

Mick

The splashers are the tops of the axle-guards and their retaining brackets IIRC.

Whilst looking for something else (as usual) I came across a colour photo of a train of at least 30 Cawoods containers on Irishrail. 141 Class locos 156 + 168 at site of former Dromin Junction on the exGNRI main line. Dundalk Barrack Street to Arklow 8 July 1989. Its in Journal of the Irish Railway Record Society Vol 22 No 159 February 2006 -page 409 top taken by Barry Carse

Ernie

• Thanks 1

I've only just found out about this new model after reading a magazine at the weekend. Really looking forward to it!

Every year for the last few years people on here may have noticed that the PFA wagon has been on my predictions/wishlist for both Hornby and Bachmann, yet sadly neither bothered to produced it. I'm really delighted Accurascale are now going to produce it. The samples look great!

I'll certainly be buying a fair few of these in various liveries.

Thank you Accurascale!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

robmcrorie on flickr.com has some new inspirational shots of the British Gypsum containers (still a shame the newer version is not being produced by Accurascale), but I utterly love looking through this flickr stream.

66723 waits at Loughborough South Junction

Nearly done at Hotchley Hill

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, 159220 said:

robmcrorie on flickr.com has some new inspirational shots of the British Gypsum containers (still a shame the newer version is not being produced by Accurascale), but I utterly love looking through this flickr stream.

66723 waits at Loughborough South Junction

Nearly done at Hotchley Hill

Superb shots but not PFAs unfortunately. 

On 05/04/2019 at 18:55, Classsix T said:

Really interested in these as I had frequent holidays in W. Yorkshire in the late 90s. The remarkably inexpensive Metro Rover saw British Gypsum trains thru Keighley, Castleford and empty flats at Knottingley (cripples?).

Can I ask Fran, it appears Accurascale are producing proportionally more blue Gypsum containers than white? The trains I remember were actually like that, but your most recently posted picture suggests entirely the opposite! 

C6T. 

Will there be more "white" ones produced in a second batch perhaps?

Regards,

C.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

We will have pre-production samples of these with various container loads to show at the DEMU show this weekend https://www.demu.org.uk/showcase/showcase-2019

Drop by, have a look and say hi as well as let us know what you think! We look forward to seeing you there!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Delighted to announce that the first samples have arrived. They are a mish mash of details and there are areas that need correcting, but on the right path!

337433864_CawoodsContainer.jpg.c56628584d6475b9e20cb0878e78c629.jpg

More pics and info here: https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/a-first-look-at-the-pfa-flat-wagon

We will have them on show at the DEMU show this weekend so stop by our stand for a look and say hi!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

'Tis a thing of beauty! I'd be appreciative if you could answer my query up-thread though Fran, wrt livery ratios.

C6T. 

Apologies for that, missed the question!

We found much more evidence of Blue containers with white containers mixed in. Apparently the above flow didnt last too long, but we found evidence of blue and white containers in a mixed train. 

Sorry I cannot give more clarity!

Cheers,

Fran

16 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Apologies for that, missed the question!

We found much more evidence of Blue containers with white containers mixed in. Apparently the above flow didnt last too long, but we found evidence of blue and white containers in a mixed train. 

Sorry I cannot give more clarity!

Cheers,

Fran

It'd seem then that that picture could've been a specifically marshalled rake to promote a new flow. 

As I say, I'm after mainly blue anyway so, as you were. And good luck with them. 

C6T. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Delighted to announce that the first samples have arrived. They are a mish mash of details and there are areas that need correcting, but on the right path!

337433864_CawoodsContainer.jpg.c56628584d6475b9e20cb0878e78c629.jpg

More pics and info here: https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/a-first-look-at-the-pfa-flat-wagon

We will have them on show at the DEMU show this weekend so stop by our stand for a look and say hi!

Cheers,

Fran

Dribble.......

• Funny 1

Ah well I just gave in and ordered the cawoods bundle set along with pack E british fuels to mix in with the Cawoods set so I can have a rake of 15.

They really do look good and looking forward to them.

Baz

• Thanks 2