80’s rolling stock to/from Oban

bcnPete

A bit of a conflab going on here as the leading loco was being typically cantankerous, every time the train crew tried to put the multiple working cables on all hell broke loose!  Fire bells ringing, engines shutting down...mercy me!  It was decided to couple the loco's the other way around, hence the unusual move, which worked.  Confirmed when FULL POWER was applied from a standing start and both loco's rocketed across the points into the middle distance.  Driver Herbert Blaney in the first loco, his mate Ian McKenzie and Neily McDougal, at the points.  All now sadly gone.

2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This is the late train, ex 1800 Hrs or thereabouts setting off for Q street.  These trains were often loaded to at least 7 often 8 during the summer months.  The train on the left is a Euston special, load 14, Daytripper.  It had left London the night before, arriving Oban about 12 hours later.  The passengers seemed a jovial lot for such a long journey in MKI's and off they went to Mull, Iona and Easdale.  Four class 27's and a total of 22 MKI's in Oban that day, it was busy!

The Daytripper left Oban 30 minutes after the late train, once it had cleared the first block - Taynuilt.

1.jpg

Edited by CliveM
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

Around the mid 1980s, as I recall, the coaching stock used on internal ScR services gained "ScotRail" branding. This was in the form of white lettering, in the same font as the "Inter City" lettering applied to Blue/Grey coaches. 

There were coaches painted into ScotRail livery, but these were typically used on more high profile routes.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, CliveM said:

This is the late train, ex 1800 Hrs or thereabouts setting off for Q street.  These trains were often loaded to at least 7 often 8 during the summer months.  The train on the left is a Euston special, load 14, Daytripper.  It had left London the night before, arriving Oban about 12 hours later.  The passengers seemed a jovial lot for such a long journey in MKI's and off they went to Mull, Iona and Easdale.  Four class 27's and a total of 22 MKI's in Oban that day, it was busy!

The Daytripper left Oban 30 minutes after the late train, once it had cleared the first block - Taynuilt.

1.jpg

That's a great photo, Clive, full of detail and interesting train information, I'll bet a 14 coach train was a sight to see on WHL journey ! Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2021 at 00:04, EddieK said:

Around the mid 1980s, as I recall, the coaching stock used on internal ScR services gained "ScotRail" branding. This was in the form of white lettering, in the same font as the "Inter City" lettering applied to Blue/Grey coaches. 

There were coaches painted into ScotRail livery, but these were typically used on more high profile routes.

I think it all started under Chris Green, he was a far sighted manager and could see the eventual demise of the BR corporate Blue, and let's be honest - drab and boring doesn't even begin to describe that era!  Also, by the early/mid 1980's the new InterCity livery was appearing, all part of a new, fresh marketing approach I guess.  My last journey up the WHL to Oban was Sep 1986 and guess what?  A class 27 with three shabby MKI's... However the loco put in a great performance, adhering to the Class 37 timings throughout, including the obligatory 10 minute refreshment at Crianlarich and a quick chat with the Oban train crew.  I just wish I had kept all my old photo's from that era, poor quality, but they did tell a story of a busy wee station with a mixture of freight and passenger work.

• Like 4

Here it is, the very first Deltic arrives in Oban and as you can see, not exactly a huge amount of interest!  In fact there was me, my brother (just along for the 'bike ride) and the platform staff.  The train was packed with day trippers and it was a lovely warm sunny day for them - quite an achievement for Oban!  You'll note the new brickwork on the station building, and freshly painted station in Caledonian Blue (not BR blue).  The staff kept the old station clean, fresh and inviting - all tyo no avail as just four years later the station was closed.   Sorry about the poor quality, taken with my Kodak, but I was there :)

Deltic_Arrival.jpg

• Like 6

Class 20's did make the occasional foray to Oban and I recall one heading the first train out of Oban for Q Street, must have been '76 or '77.  So here is 20901, admitedly early 90's now.... this was on the tail end of the weedkiller train. 

20901.jpg

• Like 2

Admittedly we've strayed into the '90,s but just for the fun of it here are two photo's taken by me.  We were camping not far from this location, and could hear the train leaving Oban three miles away!  The first is a regular Timber flow where the wood was loaded between Taynuilt and Dalmally, then forwarded on.  For a while Taynuilt was a very busy siding.  The photo is the (diverted) Euston sleeper, ex Oban.  Obviously some issue going on up at Ft Bill but nice to see a direct sleeper service to/from Euston for Oban!

409.jpg

430.jpg

• Like 3

Okay, I've gone "off piste" with my final two photo's but perhaps the historical interest is worth it.  The first is the old Speyside station.  I took this on holiday back in 2001 and yes, it's still there, in exactly this condition!  The owner was using it to house pigeons and hens!  This was the Elgin to Aberdeen line via the coast.  The second photo is the wonderful and notoriously difficult to find Knockando (pronounced Knock 'n doe).  Set deep in the Speyside hills it was renamed by the distillery that owns it.  For the model maker, notice the platform supports, rails, cut and buttressed up against wooden sleepers!  All original, further, this station had a wonderful, ornate underpass for passengers to access the other platform.  The underpass is now, sadly filled in.

Speyside.jpg

Knockando.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 07/04/2021 at 20:02, CliveM said:

A bit of a conflab going on here as the leading loco was being typically cantankerous, every time the train crew tried to put the multiple working cables on all hell broke loose!  Fire bells ringing, engines shutting down...mercy me!  It was decided to couple the loco's the other way around, hence the unusual move, which worked.  Confirmed when FULL POWER was applied from a standing start and both loco's rocketed across the points into the middle distance.  Driver Herbert Blaney in the first loco, his mate Ian McKenzie and Neily McDougal, at the points.  All now sadly gone.

2.jpg

A bit later - early 80s - I was at Kyle and in came a Class 37 leading a 26. The 26 had been added inside as the 37 was reported on low power. Tried to run them round, but they wouldn't work together when coupled up with the opposite cabs. They couldn't let the 26 lead on the way back as it wasn't RETB fitted, so they decided to leave it behind. Was disappointed as as 26+37 pairing would have been a good thrash.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, CliveM said:

Admittedly we've strayed into the '90,s but just for the fun of it here are two photo's taken by me.  We were camping not far from this location, and could hear the train leaving Oban three miles away!  The first is a regular Timber flow where the wood was loaded between Taynuilt and Dalmally, then forwarded on.  For a while Taynuilt was a very busy siding.  The photo is the (diverted) Euston sleeper, ex Oban.  Obviously some issue going on up at Ft Bill but nice to see a direct sleeper service to/from Euston for Oban!

409.jpg

430.jpg

Through the 90s we rented a cottage on loch Awe. I could count on one hand the number of trains I saw through the trees but lost count of those I heard at some ungodly hour of the morning!

• Like 1