LMS/BR model questions (need advice) MR-WR area

• RMweb Premium

I am looking at 2 potential places and so will require stock. There is SOME cross over as the two places are rail connected. Upton line and Evesham loop

Late 50s to early 60s.

4mm scale not sure if to go EM or OO.

My main under construction layout is representative of the line between them and is blue era BR, so no cross over in period. just general location. My Peaks, 47s and 50s will be nowhere near which ever one I choose.

Coaches

Need 2 BTs one is identified and sure what it is the other 95% identified.

DIag 2122 BT driving

Diag 1964A BT (no view of far end from loco so do not know if driving or if any of this type converted, but coupled to a 0-4-4T with auto style working)

~~~~~~~~~~

Corridor stock, looking at PIII by the look of it, seen pre port hole TO, BTK and porthole BTK, also CKs not sure of type.

None corridor, no obvious ID on them.

Locos

0-4-4T 1833 Class

0-4-4T Stanier 2P

0-6-0 3F Tender MR design I THINK

57xx is easy

~~~~~~~~~~

4-4-0 2P

4-4-0 4P

2-6-4T Fowler 4MT

2-6-0 Ivatt 4MT

What is interesting is a lack of Mark 1s and Diesels, although I can work out all the ex GWR stuff OK. Surprised 20s hadn't made one place.

All locos are filthy and coaches clean!

So what are good models to use of these, looks like kits for the small ones and may be chassis kits under old RTR for the 4-4-0s

Looking at 3 locos 2 coaches 10 wagons for idea 1 and 4 locos 8 - 10 coaches, 20+ wagons for idea 2

How hard is valve gear to assemble? I have built 3 x 0-6-0D chassis before.

Edited by MJI

• RMweb Gold

For your loco wants, Bachmann can supply a large part from modern tooling. The MR 0-4-4T should surface next year as a brand new model. The 3F 0-6-0, 57xx, Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 and 4P 4-4-0 are either in the current range or so recently last produced that examples are still in the retail channel (57xx reissue imminent). Hornby has a Fowler 2-6-4T and a 2P 4-4-0. So it is the "Stanier" 0-4-4T (really signed off under the interim leadership of E.J, Lemon before Stanier arrived, so a "Lemon" in every sense) that would need to be kit built, and maybe the Bachmann MR 0-4-4T chassis, when it appears, would save a lot of work. How easy any/all of these are to convert to EM I don't know, but I'll bet a search within RMWeb will tell you. Now some detail alterations might be needed to suit specific locos - very few of these classes, even the more modern ones, had every example identical.

Your push-pull stock would need to be kit built, or maybe use Hornby LMS non-corridor stock as a base. Again, a search in this forum will show others who have successfully modelled them. Certainly the basic design of the general non-corridor stock varied little between LMS PII and PIII, so the same problem you have in identifying exactly what you're looking at in photos will affect anyone looking at your models.

Class 20s weren't allocated in the area during the steam-diesel transition period - they kept themselves to the ex-LNW lines in the West Midlands until after the routes you're interested in closed. The only diesel locos around would be running through Ashchurch on the main Birmingham-Bristol line, or through Evesham on the main Worcester-Paddington line. The Evesham loop was mostly worked by Bourneville and Saltley shed steam motive power, with some help from Gloucester MR shed. DMUs did reach Redditch from Birmingham, it would be surprising if none reached Evesham, but maybe they weren't regarded as worth photographing.

Mark 1s were very much mainline stock in the 1960s, and were still being delivered in 1963 when passenger services ceased on the MR route through Evesham, they wouldn't have found their way onto what was by then a minor crosscountry route unless mainline trains were being diverted over it. I'm surprised you haven't found any LMS P1 or PII corridor stock in your researches though.

You should find sufficient corridor stock in Hornby's modern Stanier P3 and Bachmann's Porthole ranges.

Edited by Andy W
Added manufacturer of 2
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all

Looks like I may get a LRM 2P 0-4-4T

I know quite a bit about the mainline as I model them in BR blue era.

Got a green 20 somewhere since the pity thing as both lines were majority steam until closure.