Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What Do You Keep (Packaging)?

Years ago in this country, I was collecting old Lionel trains and was assured of the necessity of the boxes which were to enhance any reselling price.  Sadly this did not last and the box made very little difference as old models were eclipsed by shiny new examples in boxes of their own.  But even that did not deter me from keeping old boxes until they covered everything store under the layout and otherwise taking up space.  The same thing happened collecting Hornby trains, years later. 

So the time has come; recycle - probably as the models themselves have lost just about any 'investment',  with or without the box.  The models themselves will sit on the wall shelves until eternity and then they will all no doubt be collected by the dustman and definitely not recycled.  They will have done their job giving pleasure in my lifetime and nobody wants them anyway.  As I don't envisage quitting this mortal coil quite yet, don't come calling!:biggrin_mini:

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I buy the model for its own enjoyment. The box gets immediately recycled. However, as I have far too much stock for use on my layout, I have a large collection of Really Useful Boxes (best investment I ever made!) stacked under the layout, with space for all the stock in them (no extra packaging inside). Any that I do resell (rare) goes in the next available right-size box be it from a new item of stock, or something from Tesco.

Stewart

I keep my 250 locos ,or so, in either the original box, less outer card sleeve, or, if bought 2nd hand and unboxed, a suitable box. everything else, and there's a lot, is either on the layout or in stock boxes (cardboard or plastic boxes with foam tray inserts). This takes up a lot less space, and when I change era or country (which happens every 4-6 months) it's much easier and less far less time consuming as well as being better for the detailing on the coaches and wagons. 

I don't ever intend to sell any of my trains so box gets recycled and all stock is kept in JB Model's boxes with foam inserts. Only packaging I actually keep is polystyrene from bigger purchases to use as contours for future layouts :)

Paul