Mason Street (Goods) BR Blue.

Andrew P

Love the Class 40   Video Andy a real 'whistler wonderful. Just to get your grey cells into motion have you considered a through track into the fiddleyard on Kingsmill depot ....

Oh by the way I thought you shunting into the old baggage coach was quite restrained ...

Edited by gismorail
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gismorail said:

Love the Class 40   Video Andy a real 'whistler wonderful. Just to get your grey cells into motion have you considered a through track into the fiddleyard on Kingsmill depot ....

Oh by the way I thought you shunting into the old baggage coach was quite restrained ...

Cheers Martin, very restrained shunting for me, I must agree.

I did look at continuing the Arrivals Road through a hole in the Backscene, but it might spoil both Layouts, still food for thought though.

2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers Martin, very restrained shunting for me, I must agree.

I did look at continuing the Arrivals Road through a hole in the Backscene, but it might spoil both Layouts, still food for thought though.

More tossing and turning all night you mean .....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Clive Old Boy,:angry: Thanks for the detailed and enlightening information above, had it been a Passenger Coach then yes, you may well be right, but surely with an Old Baggage Van just being moved to another Siding, would they still have gone through all that rigmarole?

If the 08 had move the Old Baggage Van then it would have just hooked the thing up and dragged it away.

I always stand to be corrected by the good Professor of course, and will await further updates as to my operation in this matter.:rolleyes:

Hi Andy

The procedure for coupling up was the same irrespective of what was attaching to what. The reason for stopping the loco short of the thing it was coupling to was a safety one. The shunter (or secondman) would be the person in charge as it was his life at risk if he was between the moving and stationary vehicles, hence stopping and wait for him to signal it was safe to couple up.  It might be lose shunted, that means the brake pipes not attached and the brake release valve opened  but it would not be allowed on the main line like that.

The "old baggage van" is in fact a Non Passenger Carrying Coach and would be treated the same as a coach with hoomans on board if going out o  the main line.

Should you venture over to the ranch and see Sheffield Exchange in operation then I will demonstrate how I replicate this. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Andy

The procedure for coupling up was the same irrespective of what was attaching to what. The reason for stopping the loco short of the thing it was coupling to was a safety one. The shunter (or secondman) would be the person in charge as it was his life at risk if he was between the moving and stationary vehicles, hence stopping and wait for him to signal it was safe to couple up.  It might be lose shunted, that means the brake pipes not attached and the brake release valve opened  but it would not be allowed on the main line like that.

The "old baggage van" is in fact a Non Passenger Carrying Coach and would be treated the same as a coach with hoomans on board if going out o  the main line.

Should you venture over to the ranch and see Sheffield Exchange in operation then I will demonstrate how I replicate this. 

Cheers Clive, I will proceed with caution in future, thanks for the tutorial.:good:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

The 1 minute 20 second, 28.1MB Video that started up loading at about 12.30 lunch time is now at 53%.:ireful:

Just a thought Andy ! :o

FHQFHO3GBVJH04Q.LARGE.jpg.2af6a0d0485c788076dd5622a3e10889.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Andy

Well said. It drive me absolutely nutty at exhibitions when I see a loco running up at a scale 20mph then skids almost to a stop, far faster than a Westinghouse brake could  slow it down and it clouts the carriages. The only thing I would add is that there are plenty of videos that show that in practice  drivers didn't always stop first but they did ALWAYS approach at what was called collision speed I.e.walking pace. If, as was sometimes the case there was no shunter giving signals the driver (on a steam loco at least) would judge his approach speed by looking down at the ground because one can easily misjudge the speed by looking back at the train.

However the correct procedure, as Clive describes it can be seen practiced at the Bluebell Railway.

Incidently the reason the c

coach/train is coupled up before the brake pipes are conected is that while the brake pipes are not connected the train cannot move, thus the train is coupled to the loco first, and the loco will hold the train while the pipes are coupled. When uncoupling the brake pipes are disconnected first then the train can't move while the couplings are unhooked. So to be prototypical, once a loco is buffered up on its train, or being uncoupled you need to allow 1-2 minutes while this procedure  is carried out. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

The 1 minute 20 second, 28.1MB Video that started up loading at about 12.30 lunch time is now at 53%.:ireful:

Just checked and it's still at 53%, but it did drop to 52% for a while earlier.:butcher:

• Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Just checked and it's still at 53%, but it did drop to 52% for a while earlier.:butcher:

By the time this Video is Up loaded, the bloomin Layout will be obsolete and I'll have moved on to my next project in EWS / BD Shenker:fie::nono:.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Clive Old Boy,:angry: Thanks for the detailed and enlightening information above, had it been a Passenger Coach then yes, you may well be right, but surely with an Old Baggage Van just being moved to another Siding, would they still have gone through all that rigmarole?

If the 08 had move the Old Baggage Van then it would have just hooked the thing up and dragged it away.

I always stand to be corrected by the good Professor of course, and will await further updates as to my operation in this matter.:rolleyes:

Andy,

I’d agree with Clive entirely - these drivers are only in charge of an on an off switch and noise making lever you know. It’s the guards and Shunters that do the real work! Seriously, stopping short, whether it was a main line loco or shunter, proved that the driver had control of the loco, the brakes were working and he waited until he had a clear hand signal or verbal proceed from the shunter/guard. Of course if the shunter is stood on the ground waving you on, you would come almost to a stand and then just let it roll at 0.5mph or whatever, with no power on until it gently buffered up.  Bit different with buckeyes where they need a little bit of force to make sure the coupling pins drop.

I used to hate coupling up to Mk1s, and have done it with a 40, limited room with the corridor connection, and I always will remember the first thing I was taught. Get in and get the vac bag (vac brake pipe) off the stop on the loco - with that off you destroy the loco brake and whether the driver likes it or not, he ain’t going anywhere!! The moment the two vac bags were coupled, I could never get out quick enough! Lost a good friend in a shunting accident unfortunately.

Video sounds great however. Is that one if the current Bachmann 40s?

I may have mentioned this before, I cannot remember, but when you have finished uploading, goto www.speedtest.net, click on begin test and it will give you and upload and download speed. Check these against what your paying for and if these ar lower complain!! Upload will always be lower than the download figure on home connections.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

By the time this Video is Up loaded, the bloomin Layout will be obsolete and I'll have moved on to my next project in EWS / BD Shenker:fie::nono:.

Don’t scare us with such acryomyms Andy ... EWS, is one thing, but DB Schenker too ... dear god no!!! I note you’ve gone all Morecambe 

& Wise on us too - the right letters, just not in  the right order :)

Edited by MarshLane
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Andy,

I’d agree with Clive entirely - these drivers are only in charge of an on an off switch and noise making lever you know. It’s the guards and Shunters that do the real work! Seriously, stopping short, whether it was a main line loco or shunter, proved that the driver had control of the loco, the brakes were working and he waited until he had a clear hand signal or verbal proceed from the shunter/guard. Of course if the shunter is stood on the ground waving you on, you would come almost to a stand and then just let it roll at 0.5mph or whatever, with no power on until it gently buffered up.  Bit different with buckeyes where they need a little bit of force to make sure the coupling pins drop.

I used to hate coupling up to Mk1s, and have done it with a 40, limited room with the corridor connection, and I always will remember the first think I was taught. Get in and get the vac bag (vac brake pipe) off the stop on the loco - with that off you destroy the loco brake and whether the driver likes it or not, he ain’t going anywhere!! The moment the two vac bags were coupled, I could never get out quick enough! Lost a good friend in a shunting accident unfortunately.

Video sounds great however. Is that one if the current Bachmann 40s?

I may have mentioned this before, I cannot remember, but when you have uploading, goto www.speedtest.net, click on begin test and it will give you and upload and download speed. Check these against what your paying for and if these ar lower complain!! Upload will always be lower than the download figure on home connections.

Rich

Cheers Rich, all good info once again.

Re the 40, it's an older one in the older box and with no lights.

I will have a look at the speed test later.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Back from Mums, a kip in the chair and a visit from Peter BB, and another bit done on the Warehouses. The corner one is just two sides built around a block of wood. NOTE = All the windows have back backing for a better effect. So still some more to do, but looking better already.

IMG_7419.JPG.267d6f98a0a5964062fc26c6aaff684e.JPG

IMG_7420.JPG.d0da53f3ade8849b86cd8116b9a0b8f9.JPG

IMG_7421.JPG.2bf0c29812b14a92f526812a0e05f221.JPG

IMG_7422.JPG.fda385773dc39ff0f25fd31c3c28a297.JPG

IMG_7423.JPG.068ea2700672b53c6c6da403f86cde13.JPG

IMG_7424.JPG.0ee211fd3dc2ea5c0846a1093bfb6e07.JPG

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

That scene is really coming to life now Andy!  Well done.

Whats your plan to weathering/painting the card ground cover so that it doesn't ripple or curve if its foam board?  Did that on my original O gauge depot before realising the foam board absorbed the paint moisture and ended up very banana shaped!  No doubt you have some very simple way of avoiding that :)

Rich

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, MarshLane said:

That scene is really coming to life now Andy!  Well done.

Whats your plan to weathering/painting the card ground cover so that it doesn't ripple or curve if its foam board?  Did that on my original O gauge depot before realising the foam board absorbed the paint moisture and ended up very banana shaped!  No doubt you have some very simple way of avoiding that :)

Rich

Cheers Rich, it's 2mm Card, and will be weathered with Powders as I did the Hard Standing on West Shed pictured here.

1179673695_MidlandPhotoShoot014.JPG.8680ee9993cb93f3b4a06c5f811ad042.JPG

779713011_WRPhotoShoot011.JPG.8b6074b7138309b564d4c0bffd948e0f.JPG

860274045_BluePowerPics016.JPG.3582f570b1bc8d27a29d23b49a020288.JPG

712316958_WRPhotoShoot036.JPG.f8c637b77778e642ae9b2f3ce1470732.JPG

• Like 6