Ely

Cambridgeshire

CB6 3DY

OPENING OPENING TIMES: 

SAT 10.30am-4.30pm

ADMISSION: 

Adults £5.00

Children £3.00    

Note: Disabled access to all areas except the stage in the main hall.

List of Traders Attending 

Kevin's Model Railways 
Layouts 4 U 
Graham Varley 
Bob Pearman Books 
Railway Memories 
Get Films 
G E Models 
H&a Models 
B17 Trust 
Coastal DCC 
Model Scenary Supplies

List of Layouts Attending

Abbey Street, 1:64/S

Aviemore, 2mm/N 
Beyton Bridge, 4mm/Oo 
Bourton on the Marsh, 7mm/O 
Gas Lane, 4mm/Oo 
Grange West Tramway, 7mm/O 16.5 
Morlock Heath, 7mm/O 
Tashvale, 2mm/N 
Teign House Sidings, 7mm/Bg 
Three Holes, 7mm/O 
Tigley Yard, 7mm/O 
Tudwick Road Sidings, 7mm/O 
Wickham Market, 4mm/Oo

List of Demonstrations

Tony Wright's Loco Clinic Great Eastern Railway Society

Free Parking

Refreshments available

Edited by JaesonPryer
Edit
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, JaesonPryer said:

Work in progress for our new club layout Wickham Market which is making its exhibition debut at our show. 

DSC_0001.JPG

I lived in Campsea Ashe when I was down in Suffolk for spell and would love to see more of the layout. Have you got a dedicated thread on here? If not, are there any more photos or details available as I am probaby a little far away to be able to get to Ely for the show?

Cheers,

David

5 hours ago, JaesonPryer said:

Hi David 

We unfortunately do not have a page here on rm web for Wickham Market. I will try some club members and see if they have any photos available, if so I will upload them. 

Regards Jaeson 

Thanks Jaeson, much appreciated 

Thanks very much Jaeson, that is great and much appreciated. It looks to be taking shape really well. It'll make a fantastic model with loads of operating potential, what with the mainline and the Framingham branch. Have you made a start on that huge grain warehouse yet? 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

south_tyne, Chairman of Ely & D MRC here.  Sorry for the delay in replying but I got myself in a pickle and lost access to RMWeb - but Andy York's sorted it for me.  I owe him a beer!

We have not started building Framlingham yet.  We wanted to get Wickham Market to a decent state...it's coming on and we're looking forward to showing it at our 41st show on Sat 18th May in Ely.  Regarding that, personally I've been recently working on the harvest scene and I'm also mid-way through building the Granary that stood behind the signal box/near the main station building.  Couple of pics of the harvest scene attached.  You'll see the junction to Framlingham in one of the pics.  Since these pics fencing and more trees in Blackstock Wood have appeared too. Also a poster for the show :-)

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3133.JPG

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 16.53.02.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello

We already have a layout based on Framlingham called Framplington. It is set in 1965 just before closure. Should be in Railway Modeller at some point in he future. Wickham Market looks very fine and I look forward to seeing it at some future date.

Cheers

George

• Like 1

On 26/04/2019 at 12:43, andykwilkinson said:

Hi all,

south_tyne, Chairman of Ely & D MRC here.  Sorry for the delay in replying but I got myself in a pickle and lost access to RMWeb - but Andy York's sorted it for me.  I owe him a beer!

We have not started building Framlingham yet.  We wanted to get Wickham Market to a decent state...it's coming on and we're looking forward to showing it at our 41st show on Sat 18th May in Ely.  Regarding that, personally I've been recently working on the harvest scene and I'm also mid-way through building the Granary that stood behind the signal box/near the main station building.  Couple of pics of the harvest scene attached.  You'll see the junction to Framlingham in one of the pics.  Since these pics fencing and more trees in Blackstock Wood have appeared too. Also a poster for the show :-)

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3133.JPG

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 16.53.02.png

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond and I apologise for taking so long to do so, I've just noticed your post. Wickham Market is starting to look really good, it will make for an absolutely fantastic layout. I hope to see it in the flesh at some point. As I explained, I have a lot of fondness for the location and therefore will try to keep up-to-date with your progress. I hope to see more in due course.

All the best for the exhibition in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers,

David 

• Like 1

I've been working on the Granary at Wickham Market and should have it completed by the exhibition on Sat 18th May.  Attaching a few photos of work in progress so far.  It will eventually have some milling/grading/bagging equipment installed (or maybe I'll go off-piste and put a microbrewery in there :rolleyes:).  There will also be an internal stairway and railings around the opening and it will be internally lit by LEDs in the roof...but all that will have to wait until I've got more time in the summer as we're all mega busy with final tweaks of organising the Exhibition, our 41st in Ely, and getting the layout presentable for it's first every showing.

IMG_3196smaller.jpg

IMG_3200smaller.jpg

IMG_3211smaller.jpg

IMG_3208smaller.jpg

IMG_3210smaller.jpg

IMG_3209smaller.jpg

Edited by andykwilkinson
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Impressive stuff Andy. It was a beast of a building mind wasn't it!? When you're standing on the rural backwater that is Wickham Market station now it is hard to imagine the scene from those days.... a junction station with that huge warehouse, extensive sidings and the island platform. Changed beyond all recognition now, not least by the road overbridgs, with the station building (now thankfully back in community use) being the only real point of reference.

Found this phone snap - from some time ago.  The scenic work in the station area has come on a lot since this but it shows the (truly excellent) model of the station building built by our Exhibition Manager Malcolm Hine.  Since this photo we now have the Goods Shed built (by Keith Barker), as well as the cottages that are in the far distance/on the corner of the layout near the coal yard in an advanced stage of construction (by Bob Relmore).  Quite a few working signals have also been completed by Jamie Rands too (his farther is building the Airey Houses that were built at the southern end of Wickham Market/near the goods yard).  The pond (lower left of pic) and station garden (between the bridge and the station building in the pic) are now pretty well advanced too. 

It's coming on...now, back to the roof on the Granary.  I'm about to insert the chimney! 

IMG_1261.jpg

Edited by andykwilkinson
  • Like 5