Ely & District Model Railway Club  Model Railway Exhibition Sat 18th May 2019

JaesonPryer

I know this won't appeal to serious modellers but it may to those with younger kids. If you're visiting our 41st Model Railway Exhibition at Ely College on Saturday 18th May (doors open 10.30am), as well as many fine layouts and traders from across the region Hornby have very kindly donated one of their East Coast Express OO boxed railway sets.  These sell at around £175 RRP. We'll be holding a draw for this item so don't forget to buy some tickets at the show! There will also be a Tombola with a wide variety of prizes too!

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 17.25.43.png

Spot what someone's planted to try and wind me up!  We actually have in the Club a retired National Grid engineer who said they are "not correct" anyway! :rolleyes: (Something to do with the insulators)

Also spot the latest signal to be planted on Wickham Market ahead of our show on Saturday!  Rather nice - Now that's more like it!  That can stay - but those pylons are getting lifted!!! :)

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

Edited by andykwilkinson
  • Like 3

Well, the day has arrived and much hard work has been undertaken by members and exhibitors in setting up yesterday afternoon. I know that we still have much to do this morning but all is looking well for a great day. Come and see what a great show we have laid out for you!

Look forward to seeing you there.

Malcolm Hine

Exhibition Manager

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Took the train to Ely and walked to the show. Good show, quiet when I arrived just after lunch but was filling up later on. Really enjoyed Morlock Heath, fantastic modern image O gauge micro layout, chatting with the operator. Very tempting to try O. Found a fab Springside 4mm white metal kit of a Range Rover on the Great Eastern Models stand for £3 :D Could have spent a lot more but resisted. 

Walked back via the Cathedral and quickest train route back was via Norwich, so got to see DRS and ROG 37's and new Stadler units at Crown Point.

Thanks to the organisers. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A small but very good provincial show, we both thoroughly enjoyed the day.

We travelled 70 miles from home to the show and most of the layouts were new to us. All built to a good standard, a huge variety of scenes and prototypes and all of them operating well. I absorbed myself in watching Tigley Yard, I haven’t studied an 0 gauge layout for a while. I do think DCC sound is more effective in 0 than in 4mm.

I feel I must mention, much of the conversation was in the shadow of the terrible events at the Stamford show, but everyone seemed to manage to work their way through this, and to talk about constructive and enjoyable things as well.

The trade support was good too and it was nice to meet Coastal DCC who have supplied me with all kinds of bits by mail order. Also Model Scenery Supplies, the good news here is Peco have approved them to become a distributor or the Peco brands.

I bought some glue, a Zimo decoder, a Metcalfe crane and two rounds of the rather good refreshments so it was quite an economical day out too. This was our first visit to the Ely show and we will try to visit again next year.

- Richard.

• Like 4

Hi all,

Thank you for the comments so far and to all who came and contributed to our terrifically successful 41st show in Ely.  Details (winner of best layout competition etc.) will be posted in due course.

However, in meantime, as already mentioned on our Club's Facebook page, may we send our sincere thoughts to all those involved/affected by the devastating vandalism at the Market Deeping/Stamford show. The pictures of the damage leave us totally lost for words and, as already mentioned, dominated a lot of the conversations (and mood) during our day.  We were fortunate to have help from a group from the St Neots Club (who were brilliant and hard working - thank you) but of course some members of that Club had their painstaking work destroyed in this mindless act.  I know I speak for many in our Club in hoping that the culprits get more (a heck of a lot more) than 20 hours (or whatever...) meaningless. “community service”. 

In the meantime, if anyone else who visited us yesterday would let us know how they found the show - on this thread - we'd be very interested to read it.

Thank you again from all at Ely & District MRC

Edited by andykwilkinson
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

As a regular visitor to one of my "local shows" it is one that I always enjoy. Arrived late morning and there was parking available. 

Good to see a couple of new "roundy-roundy" layouts in Aviemore and Wickham Market - some of smaller shunting layouts although well done, were a bit too similar. There was a good range of trade stands and the cake was excellent.

Nick 

• Like 1

I drove from Ipswich yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the standard of the exhibits. As an inveterate exhibition visitor (and occasional exhibitor!) I had seen Teign House sidings, the 0:16.5 layout, Gas Lane and Abbey Street before, but they were all well worth seeing again. Most of the others had something of interest, too, although I agree with Nick's comment above about the miniscule shunting layouts. I will certainly go in future years. 

Where did I hear about the show? UK Modelshops site, RMweb and the mags.

Before heading for home, I had a wander around the centre of Ely and the cathedral, which I've only ever seen from the train before. If you've never been to the city, its a stunningly attractive place.

David C 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

As one of the culprits in the small but similar shunting plank category (Tudwick Road siding) , may I say how much I enjoyed yesterdays show, despite the cloud that the events at Stamford cast over us. I appreciate that my stuff may not be èverybodies cup of tea, but there were still plenty of people who did show an interest and stop for a chat. In fact, we were saying how quickly the day seemed to pass. 

So, well done to Malc, Andy  (who didn't break anything this time!) and the rest of the Ely gang who, despite having a small membership, always punch way above their weight and turn out a splendid show!

Disgusting of Market Harborough 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

As one of the culprits in the small but similar shunting plank category (Tudwick Road siding) , may I say how much I enjoyed yesterdays show, despite the cloud that the events at Stamford cast over us. I appreciate that my stuff may not be èverybodies cup of tea, but there were still plenty of people who did show an interest and stop for a chat. In fact, we were saying how quickly the day seemed to pass. 

So, well done to Malc, Andy  (who didn't break anything this time!) and the rest of the Ely gang who, despite having a small membership, always punch way above their weight and turn out a splendid show!

Disgusting of Market Harborough 

To clarify my previous comment about small shunting planks - I have no problem with such layouts as they are very often highly detailed and well presented. It is having 4-5 of them at one show. This is down to the show management to consider what each particular layout adds to the mixture. So unless the exhibition has a theme, I would not be keen to see 4 similar double track mainline layouts in OO all running the same stock through similar scenery. 

Nick  

Just a quick note to say 'Bourton on the Marsh' won the public vote for best layout at our 41st Ely Model Railway Exhibition yesterday. It beat Bob Harper's 'Teign House Sidings' by just a couple of votes! In third place, again just a few votes behind, was Ely & District MRC Member Neil - with his 'N' gauge 'Aviemore' layout. Well done to all of them.

Our next show in Ely is on Saturday 16th May 2020 at Ely College.

Edited by andykwilkinson

• RMweb Premium

It was a good morning out on Saturday, I took my camera and took a few shots of the layouts that caught my eye.

The winner Bourton in the Marsh:

SAM_8120.JPG.6ab6a65bf29777cdaf7860ed9ced30c9.JPGSAM_8121.JPG.93915e3adbcc97978d18ea48ad159e65.JPG

Not my favourite sadly, the banging into wagons to couple up the kadees didn't really endear it to me.

Teign House Sidings:

SAM_8128.JPG.67ae738e465da82d7e34be526e6ec054.JPGSAM_8129.JPG.6542ff0593dabb01c82e7b190b5aba62.JPGSAM_8130.JPG.ced73ad56d0792361f7139c640b54907.JPGSAM_8131.JPG.df7e6649b64401584288d7737ab177e7.JPG

My winner, a clearly well built and delightful railway, that ran very well, with lots of effort gone into making the stock. Simply superb!

Abbey Street:

SAM_8136.JPG.f4cfd4194af843408e3f0521a4745bda.JPGSAM_8135.JPG.90c729e7fa213bb7e50b7ea79f734663.JPGSAM_8137.JPG.fefd0a6f6c3d6ccfc7ccb7f10d9e9ba3.JPGSAM_8138.JPG.502c7b84690ca69fa556e5a7656f7114.JPGSAM_8139.JPG.6b45160cef7c3c386131f2668a3d5553.JPGSAM_8140.JPG.11a905da4ce7a9e1928e98d75ab11e87.JPG

This was a very close second, another really nicely built and operated railway, with searchlight signals that were very nicely modelled. In S gauge, which, I feel has something very nice about it. There is a feeling of 'weight' about the whole thing, without the hugeness of 0 gauge. If I wasn't so far committed to 4mm I'd very much like to try my hand at S. A very knowledgeable owner/operator who was happy to chat. Did I mention that there were searchlights?

Aviemore:

SAM_8133.JPG.566ce278705acb0e12e5e1cc2b103a43.JPG

I only took one photo of Neils layout, as it appears on here anyway. A few teething problems, but nice to see in the flesh!

I would also like to say that both Annabelle and I enjoyed the chocolate cake, but she was a bit dismayed that my tea came in a polystyrene cup, she would rather have seen something more re-useable (proper cups) or recyclable.

A nice mix of layouts overall.

Andy G

• Like 4

Thanks for the pictures and comments.

Re the polystyrene cups - I actually bought 1000 paper/rippled cardboard cups ahead of the show and these are what we will use next year (Sat 16th May, 2020) - but we had to deplete our stock of  polystyrene ones first.

This year I also bought wooden stirrers and these seemed to be well liked.  We have a million (or so it seems!) plastic spoons - but as soon as we're through them then pressed wooden ones will be the norm.

The catering (dozens of home made cakes made by members partners, mainly and also sandwiches made that morning - by my wife with a little help) was, as always, getting pretty complimentary comments on the day and this is something we're hoping to continue.  We also give all the exhibitors a very good 2 course meal (cooked by the school in a separate building) as we like to look after them as well as we can can.

Edited by andykwilkinson
  • Like 1

Tony Wright kindly agreed to be our "celebrity" when the Hornby Prize Draw was done at our show on Saturday. The lucky winner, a Mr A Banks, was no longer at the Show when this was done at 3.30PM so our Treasurer John stood in for the photos. He seems rather keen to get his hands on the prize too! (In fact John delivered the prize to Mr Banks in Ely the following day). Our grateful thanks once again to Hornby for such a generous offer of this prize.

We would also like to sincerly thank Great Eastern Models, Layouts4U and Model Scenic Supplies who all donated towards the runner up prize too.

The third prize was a bottle of whisky donated by our Vice Chairman Keith Barker. Amazingly, Keith won it back in the Prize Draw (!) but being a good sport allowed another ticket to be drawn - and that meant the whisky went to a very pleased looking guy (who was still at the Show) called Merv.

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 17.58.42.png

Edited by andykwilkinson
  • Like 1

Here's the Ely Standards take on our 2019 Exhibition.  I always thought reporters exaggerated numbers - but not in this case! (it was many, many hundreds, not dozens!)

https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/ely-and-district-model-railway-club-exhibition-1-6060257?fbclid=IwAR3-29oMXMnFZz8AAYPnDL_UKgWTBsYXdYjaClxfVjk7wKMWYHsQc4WI43o

Also, a couple of general view phone snaps, one from the Gym and one from Needham's Hall.

IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3342.JPG

• Like 1