Help please for an Electrical DC numpty

shortliner

18 hours ago, shortliner said:

Andy - thanks for that, but I'm DC - occasionally with sound via an MRC Soundbox - DCC+sound ( and decoders) are/is severely out of my comfort zone, which is why the heading includes the expression "Electrical Numpty"!  Also, living the Far North, replacing wheels and axles/weights becomes a logistical nightmare.  We manage with what we have.

Ignore the DCC bit, the point I was trying to make is how to make the mass of the train behave like the real thing so the car has enough inertia to roll on its own. The loco drive has some degree of inertia too, so reversing polarity quickly would be fighting the flywheels, and might confuse a feedback controller.

I've filmed a short video to show an uncouple on the move, TBH having tried them elsewhere I'm not convinced that Neodymium magnets produce the right field for this.

Edited by 298

Andy - I see what you are doing, and that may turn out to be the way to go - thanks for taking the trouble.  It is pointing me towards a spring loaded switch that just breaks the current momentarily whilst still moving - Thinking on...

Edited by shortliner

On 25/03/2019 at 08:31, dhjgreen said:

Yes but with multiple controllers and cab control, this could be less confusing.

Not sure what's confusing about having the jiggle button next to the controller you're driving the train with.  Sounds a lot more straightforward than having a jiggle button for each uncoupler (plus associated wiring & IRJs) which is what would be required if you followed the approach in your diagram.

I don't know if this will work but, watching Andy's video triggered an idea - If I use a spring loaded, normally on, SPDT switch , to allow me (in its normal position)  to drive the train over the magnet, and press the switch to momentarily break the circuit and immediately spring back, the momentary break in power may simulate the "jiggle", and cause the couplers to relax and operate - I think it is certainly worth a try and have found a supplier in Cullercoats, Tyne and Wear - who is popping some in the post to me - fingers crossed.

Edited by shortliner

Well, folks, I have had no reply from Broadway Lion to date , so it looks as though we will not get to know his solution to the problem - Ah, well! -  I had a further thought about my  previous post , and think that maybe a normaly ON, push to break button may be easier than the switch  -  I have ordered both so we'll see.