Connah's Quay

• RMweb Gold

I had a look at the book at the weekend, not really much about connahs quay docks itself or mention of the railway but plenty of pics of the vessels they built which may be useful reference for your timescale 

the same author did a book book about the railways around Saltney which is a cracker, absolutely fascinating, I didn’t realise there was a line that crossed the main England/wales road (pre A55 bypass) and ran to the docks parallel with the mainline to Holyhead serving various industries down the docks!

Again a nice section on the boatbuilders too 

edit: here it is on amazon, well worth £6 or so (I’ve just bought one)

Railways Around Saltney: A Pictorial Record https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0955388201/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gM4QCbC8B41TN

Edited by big jim

• 7 months later...

After a long pause brought on by non-railway related issues construction of scenery is now moving forwards with the bridge abutments and embankment walls. Nothing simple as I didn't manage to do a full survey, just took some photos including a ranging rod, and the original girder bridge has now been replaced by concrete with the attendant destruction of the tops of the origional support pillars so I'm using the example of the neighbouring surviving girder bridge at Shotton for reference.

PB100040.JPG

• Like 13

• 4 months later...

courtesy of self isolation I'm making much better progress now. Two buildings I was prevaricating over are now well under way. They are the semi-detached cottages (no.28 Dock Road, and the Pilots' Offices), and the chandlers which occupy the triangle of ground between Dock Road, the LNWR embankment, and the Buckley Railway. All I have for these is a (very) distant and miniscule view of the roofs of these buildings in a photo from 1910, and a similar view from 1964 by which time the chandlers had been demolished. I spent ages wondering how to come up with a plan for the buildings, but eventually realised that as long as the footprints were correct, and as long as the roofline was generally correct I could really choose to make them anything that wasn't out of character. So I have now begun using as my starting point two drastically modified Petite Properties buildings.  The walls are clad in plasticard building sheets, and the roofs will (probably) be York Modellmaking sticky slates/tiles.

P3190018.JPG.e18cc7fa9a1d55ba0f3b774b0a3c50b8.JPG

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

And now complete (apart from gutters and drainpipes which need materials not in stock at home): Dock Road, Connah's Quay. No28 (I have the census details somewhere telling me who lives there),  The Pilots Office, and Coppack Bros.& Co. chandlers warehouse. 

P3300024.JPG.5538016ff9f57b96ba34b16c731b7d1f.JPG

P3300026.JPG.1f53d40f0eaae3ee17c1a622e32ac8ea.JPG

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 9 months later...