Farish refurb Class 31

TomE

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

It isn't putting me off N gauge, just British prototype N gauge. At the moment there isn't a single forthcoming Farish model I will want to purchase, though I am interested in the Dapol "50" and perhaps the WC/BB if/when it appears.

44 minutes ago, grahame said:

I have to admit that there is very little new N gauge of interest to me as well. IIRC the Farish TEA bogie tankers were the first newly released products I've purchased since the RT cargo wagons in September last year. I am interested in the Dapol class 50 and the Farish class 319 but the wait has been interminable and there's no confirmed delivery date for either.

It's like a return to 2000 - Dapol forced Farish to up their game and we hade a golden period with lots of new models from both parties, I've several boxes filled with stock that is testament to this.

Dapol stepped back from N for some time and it's almost like Farish then used it as an excuse to slow their own production down as the competition was gone (apart from RevolutioN but with limited models for a particular period).

i suppose if you look at it in proportion to OO then in reality Farish are probably turning out models as quickly as Bachmann but the actual spread of models is smaller as the market is smaller.

Sadly whilst RevolutioN are moving into broader spread of locos and stock with other manufacturers they will like remain a niche product company, almost need Heljan or someone else with N gauge manufacturing capability (the other H) to step up but probably wont as the market is small.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It's like a return to 2000 - Dapol forced Farish to up their game and we hade a golden period with lots of new models from both parties, I've several boxes filled with stock that is testament to this.

AFAIR the early part of the 00s decade was somewhat a barren time for British N gauge with a vacuum in the market. Bachmann purchased Graham Farish in 2000 and stopped production while they relocated it to China and then took a number of years to recommence production. Dapol didn't enter the British N gauge market until 2004 and took a few years to build up a range, so it wasn't until the late part of that decade that it could be considered the start of a golden period.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, grahame said:

AFAIR the early part of the 00s decade was somewhat a barren time for British N gauge with a vacuum in the market. Bachmann purchased Graham Farish in 2000 and stopped production while they relocated it to China and then took a number of years to recommence production. Dapol didn't enter the British N gauge market until 2004 and took a few years to build up a range, so it wasn't until the late part of that decade that it could be considered the start of a golden period.

Is it only about 10 years ago, it seems longer.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, TomE said:

Painted samples at Warley looking very nice indeed! 

50DF359E-0484-40ED-8DFA-36C83E80F4E6.jpeg.f1c4f701ef9aac33b70263a10d74a70d.jpegA67504FC-944B-4362-99BC-31040C681D6C.jpeg.0bd1b10bf41ad72b783f93bba2a0fe02.jpeg

Tom. 

Thanks for posting those pics. They do look promising.

Unfortunately no so for the pic I've seen of the class 319 taken at the Warley NEC show (the face still needs correcting). It doesn't look any different to the version seen at TINGS - perhaps they've not got around to working on it. But I do hope they've not decided the EP at Warley is the final version.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grahame said:

Thanks for posting those pics. They do look promising.

Unfortunately no so for the pic I've seen of the class 319 taken at the Warley NEC show (the face still needs correcting). It doesn't look any different to the version seen at TINGS - perhaps they've not got around to working on it. But I do hope they've not decided the EP at Warley is the final version.

I made a point of asking about the 319 Grahame, and was told the cab CAD has been redrawn to improve the shape. The next EP should be much better, and the one on show at Warley was the same as the one at TINGS. 

Anyway, to stay on topic......

C84412EE-534D-4F74-BFE0-2C616F5C0F25.jpeg.9b0d97965a457f513491610a81251310.jpegF481A0DE-4FAE-4465-9869-5AB12E1748A7.jpeg.eaaa424eae8fe5791fc51e7923707899.jpeg

Tom. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the photos. They are looking very nice indeed. According to the latest release schedule on the Bachmann website, all except 97204 in revised RTC livery are showing as August 2020. 97204 is showing 'Awaiting'. I don't know whether that means awaiting delivery, or just another way of saying TBA.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, 47475 said:

Thanks for posting the photos. They are looking very nice indeed. According to the latest release schedule on the Bachmann website, all except 97204 in revised RTC livery are showing as August 2020. 97204 is showing 'Awaiting'. I don't know whether that means awaiting delivery, or just another way of saying TBA.

Maybe they are going to split production and do 50/50 with 97205 (31163) the current Chinnor version. The original also carried the number 31970.

6 hours ago, bluedepot said:

some coaches in the later version of the rtc livery to match the 31 would be good

some 31/4s would be good too!

Skinhead would be better, with 31/0s, various 31/1s and 31/4 (well 31418 and 450 at least) all available.

• Agree 2

• 5 months later...
On 25/11/2019 at 09:17, TomE said:

Hi Justin

They are equipped for sound with a factory fitted speaker and NEXT 18 connector. 

Tom. 

Evening everyone.

Sorry to bounce this up and possibly ask a silly question here, but I’m a bit new (the last 12 months) to DCC and I’ve got my eye on the original Railfreight liveried refurbished 31 when it comes out.

Am I reading this correctly that the speaker is already fitted - meaning that all you’d have to do is fit a sound decoder?

And if so is that reasonably easy to do?

Thanks for any advice.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick. Correct. All you’ll need is a Next 18 sound decoder of your choice and these simply click into place. The most difficult part of the whole process is likely to be getting the body off! 

The recent C Class has a next 18 socket and pre-fitted speaker and it took about 2 minutes to install the chip and have it running. 

Tom. 

1 hour ago, TomE said:

Hi Nick. Correct. All you’ll need is a Next 18 sound decoder of your choice and these simply click into place. The most difficult part of the whole process is likely to be getting the body off! 

The recent C Class has a next 18 socket and pre-fitted speaker and it took about 2 minutes to install the chip and have it running. 

Tom. 

Thanks Tom, that’s really good news. 
I only ever intended on getting one or two sound fitted locos (and I especially wanted a 31), this suddenly makes it feel a lot more accessible.

Nick 

As a matter of interest, do the old Farish 31 bodies fit easily on the latest 31 chassis (such as the Green FYE recent release)?  I have a couple of renumbered and detailed older ones that don't run too well and I don't think the old bodies are too bad.

Edited by fezza

I don't know as I don't have a new chassis but suspect they will with a bit of packing.

The new body is a very tight fit on the old chassis (to the point that I think I'll need to remove material if I go that route via eBay cheapies)

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

I think I’m going mad, but wasn’t a Dutch lovely version announced at first? I’ve preordered the railfreight version instead now but I’m sure Dutch was in the original line up!