Farish refurb Class 31

TomE

On 04/06/2020 at 16:39, Steadfast said:

if I go that route via cheapies

eBay and cheap aren't words I'd use in an N gauge context, especially when new versions of a type become available - look at the stupid money older class 37s go for, because brand new ones are £130.

Cheers, 

Rich. 

Edited by B1uejay
Typo

4 hours ago, B1uejay said:

eBay and cheap aren't words I'd use in an N gauge context, 

Only when you're looking to buy!

When I last sold some modern Farish items a few months ago I was rather disappointed at the prices they went for. Sod's law, but certainly does seem possible to find a bargain - perhaps just look for one of my auctions!  

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, justin1985 said:

When I last sold some modern Farish items a few months ago I was rather disappointed at the prices they went for. 

And that's the difference between buyers and sellers expectation on price. One is never high enough and the other is never low enough.

;-)

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, grahame said:

And that's the difference between buyers and sellers expectation on price. One is never high enough and the other is never low enough.

;-)

Ha - well exactly!

But to listen to some posts on RMWeb, you'd think Farish stuff was routinely going for a premium over original selling price.

That might be true of a handful of particular sought after items, but of the recent Farish I've sold on in the past year have gone for only maybe an average of 60%-ish of the original box shifter price I paid for them. 

Once you factor in the eBay fees, that isn't much incentive to de-clutter the models you bought as impulse purchases!

2 minutes ago, justin1985 said:

Once you factor in the eBay fees, that isn't much incentive to de-clutter the models you bought as impulse purchases!

Yep, and not just eBay fees, but PayPal fees and all the hastle of answering queries, wrapping things, taking them to the post office, hoping they arrive safely, giving feedback, etc.,.

I don't bother and consequently I hardly buy anything these days and try to avoid impulse purchases, especially things that aren't necessary and that I'd likely no longer want in a year or twos time.

Now, do I 'need' a class 31?  They do look rather nice . . . .

;-)

On 14/08/2020 at 23:12, justin1985 said:

Only when you're looking to buy!

When I last sold some modern Farish items a few months ago I was rather disappointed at the prices they went for. Sod's law, but certainly does seem possible to find a bargain - perhaps just look for one of my auctions!  

You too? Nothing I sell seems to get bidders excited.

One problem with Ebay is that a lot of people use it to dispose of poor runners - and then you have all the hassle of getting a refund and sending it back. That is depressing prices on everyday items - the place has gained a reputation. 

I'm desperate for some 31s - they were my favourite loco for years during the loco hauled revival c1984.. Money is waiting - come on Bach Farish... 

Simple solution is to not use ebay if the money you're seeing disappoints. I certainly don't use it. The lack of exhibitions is what has slowed down my selling of stock, but generally speaking I sell everything through my club chairmans shop as a commissioned sale. Two exhibitions and usually everything goes for the asking price, and I expect it to go a bit loopy when they start back up. Even without exhibitions the footfall through the shop since reopening has seen a steady stream of sales, and recent price list releases seems to have made it easier yet to sell, so s/h prices are going to go up again soon.

Its going to pay for a 31 or two, that's for sure.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Rails of Sheffield and other retailers now advising delivery imminent although for some reason the RTC one is five quid cheaper than the others....

Explanation of above reaction .....I've just spent £350 this week alone on new items that have come in....I was hoping for a little respite before the 31s arrived ! :chok_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Rails of Sheffield and other retailers now advising delivery imminent although for some reason the RTC one is five quid cheaper than the others....

97204 (ex 31326) was apparently not a refurbished loco so would use the older tooling

• RMweb Premium

My local purveyor of said items now advising the 31's have drifted to December/January....

Of course if they rollover into January then there will be the very real chance of another price hike in the New Year, Bachmann are quite good at that sort of thing.....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, davebem said:

I really wanted a coal sector 31 for nuclear flasks, it looks like the petroleum 319 they are offering had coal sector brandings and crewe depot plaques at some point though so perhaps decals can be applied over them!

Well spotted.  I too want a coal 31 for flask workings, so this should be a nice easy sub-sector swap using https://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/rf-coal-trainload-coal-smaller-size-symbols-tops-numbering

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This seems to have arrived but in very limited quantities.  Kernow seem to have sold out already except for the RTC livery.  Other big stockists only seem to have  one or two.  Not sure what has happened here.  Have some been airfreighted ahead of the main consignment or has the main batch been held back for sound fitting?

I have also noticed 108s on some websites but they also seen to be here in very small numbers...

So last night I was contemplating making a purchase of the sound fitted 31 as they seem to have hit the shelves unexpectedly early.

Had my eye on Rails, but when I logged on today - they've sold out of Blue sound models and no option to pre-order, Kernow too and a lot of shops are only showing the unchipped versions.

Scrabbling around I found that TMC had 10+ and at the same price as Rails with free delivery too, so big sigh of relief.

Suppose I'd best pre-order a 40 for March.

Over to my stock box, I need to sell stuff now to pay for my foray into DCC and Sound in N.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I've received my sound fitted 31 in Railfreight from Cornwall today.  Came as a surprise to get an email on Friday saying it had been despatched. From experience of what happened with the SF 40, I pre ordered mine right after the winter announcement thinking that they would sell fast.

I only run DC but it sounds great with cold start, idle, air breaks off, then 2 engine pitches as speed increases.

The cost is a bit higher than the 40, the cost of the 31 being £100 more than the standard model whereas the 40 looked good at just £60 over and above.

Very pleased, looks great with a mixed rake of speedlink wagons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alan24 said:

I've received my sound fitted 31 in Railfreight from Cornwall today.  Came as a surprise to get an email on Friday saying it had been despatched. From experience of what happened with the SF 40, I pre ordered mine right after the winter announcement thinking that they would sell fast.

I only run DC but it sounds great with cold start, idle, air breaks off, then 2 engine pitches as speed increases.

The cost is a bit higher than the 40, the cost of the 31 being £100 more than the standard model whereas the 40 looked good at just £60 over and above.

Very pleased, looks great with a mixed rake of speedlink wagons.

I’m going to order mine on Monday. I’ve somehow managed to sweet talk my other half into paying for a chunk of it for Christmas, although I’m not going to be able to open it until the 25th...

Out of curiosity - what’s the sound quality like with such a small speaker?

13 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

I’m going to order mine on Monday. I’ve somehow managed to sweet talk my other half into paying for a chunk of it for Christmas, although I’m not going to be able to open it until the 25th...

Out of curiosity - what’s the sound quality like with such a small speaker?

I think the sound is good but I'm not an expert on dcc sound. The volume is a little low IMHO but you can change this on dcc, I cant on DC.

The loco itself runs smooth but makes a little too much noise for my liking, with sound you really need a silent mechanism.

All in all I'm really pleased and it adds a lot of play value being able to approach a signal, come to a halt and wind it up again.

It's  a great innovation but does come at a cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alan24 said:

I think the sound is good but I'm not an expert on dcc sound. The volume is a little low IMHO but you can change this on dcc, I cant on DC.

The loco itself runs smooth but makes a little too much noise for my liking, with sound you really need a silent mechanism.

All in all I'm really pleased and it adds a lot of play value being able to approach a signal, come to a halt and wind it up again.

It's  a great innovation but does come at a cost.

Thanks Alan. It’ll be the first thing I’ve got with sound and I don’t really plan on getting anything else, actually saying that I might be tempted with a 101 at some point, but I’ll see how this goes first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alan24 said:

I noticed that the latest batch of 47s and 170s were a bit noisier than before. I haven't yet received my 31 to compare. It is noticeable when you run the latest Farish alongside Dapol's 33 and 50.

The problem I found with sound in 4mm is that once you have one sound loco you end up fitting the rest - and that can serously dent the wallet. 

56 minutes ago, fezza said:

The problem I found with sound in 4mm is that once you have one sound loco you end up fitting the rest - and that can serously dent the wallet. 

I find sound fitted locos quite irritating when you’re at a show stuck next to a load of them for a whole weekend. I just fancied having one to play with at home now and again while doing a bit of shunting.

The cost of doing the rest of my fleet would be far too expensive for me though.

• Like 1