Farish refurb Class 31

TomE

• RMweb Premium

It is just my own personal experience but I have found a lot of the sound emitting from diesel models to be quite frankly a bit naff, especially the totally unrealistic aspect like sudden start ups, shut downs and stationary tick overs which just don't sound natural at all.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

I find sound fitted locos quite irritating when you’re at a show stuck next to a load of them for a whole weekend. I just fancied having one to play with at home now and again while doing a bit of shunting.

The cost of doing the rest of my fleet would be far too expensive for me though.

Yes I think sound is best suited to shunting layouts or branch lines with only 3-4 locos at one time. Try to operate more and the sounds just merge into a noise. That's why I haven't taken up sound for my (still under construction) main line N gauge layout where I have far more complex operations and more locos 

8 hours ago, fezza said:

Yes I think sound is best suited to shunting layouts or branch lines with only 3-4 locos at one time. Try to operate more and the sounds just merge into a noise. That's why I haven't taken up sound for my (still under construction) main line N gauge layout where I have far more complex operations and more locos 

I agree fezza.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a weathered one with sound from TMC this afternoon. The chap reckons that they sound really good with the fitted sugar cube speaker (I suppose he wouldn’t say that they sounded rubbish though ;)), quite looking forward to Christmas now...

2 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Can anyone who has received 371-111A confirm the directional lighting? Catalogue just says "fitted with directional lighting".

Illuminated Headcode box and rear red lights. Is this correct?

Correct, you can also switch off the rear red lights so not on when pulling a train in dcc.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Correct, you can also switch off the rear red lights so not on when pulling a train in dcc.

According to the instructions there's also a switch inside that allows the directional lights to be turned off at either end for non-DCC users.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Is this done via one of the switches or a Function button, if a Function button which one.

Thanks

On 06/12/2020 at 19:10, John M Upton said:

It is just my own personal experience but I have found a lot of the sound emitting from diesel models to be quite frankly a bit naff, especially the totally unrealistic aspect like sudden start ups, shut downs and stationary tick overs which just don't sound natural at all.

I've also found the factory fitted speakers to be rather lacklustre. I've avoided sound in N, but I really haven't been that impressed with the offerings in N so far, and with recent 00 models every single one which has come pre-fitted with a speaker (class 117/121, class 24/1) I've ended up replacing the saft gubbins. Its a shame, because through an Earthmover the soundfile in the 31 (and 8F) are really quite good, and yes, I know an EM is never going to fit an N model!

I must stress my gripe isn't only with Bachmann/Farish, some of the high end US models also suffer from incredibly naff factory sound setups...I built a v5 based SD45 for under £150 including the cost of the locomotive which when stood next to a £300+ Scaletrains SD45 blows the factory fitted unit out of the water.

I can see the point in providing pre-fitted speakers in order to open up sound fitting to more people, it makes perfect sense to build it in to make fitting as simple as possible. But I really do wish they'd fit decent equipment so there is no want or need to have to replace the factory kit to get the most out of the newer generation of higher memory decoders like the v5.

A short running session featuring the all new Graham Farish 'Refurbished' British Rail Class 31/6, edited with real sound.
Sound recordings are provided by fellow Class members, recorded during visits to various preserved railways over the years. 
Here we see 31602, finished in eye-catching Network Rail yellow hauling a Network Rail Test Train.
Hope you enjoy!

• RMweb Gold

Having heard the sound fitted version in the demo videos, luckily Alton Model Centre had the Railfreight version in stock, so I upgraded. 

It gets very difficult to find fault with Farish stuff these days, or to avoid using the same superlatives. The refurb 31 is another excellent model, the slightly shallow bogie detail being perhaps it's one weak area. The sound is just about spot on to my ears, from my vague memory of them gurgling around the Sheffield area anyway! Running is silky smooth right out of the box on my example. 

E2D71E6B-CE14-43BB-BB4D-E2A42BC45ECA_1_201_a.jpg.86ad030e3d35ca955bc2c9c65e92883b.jpg

Tom. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Overall the proportions look and seem right. The black window surrounds (rubber grommets?) are very neatly and incredibly finely applied. But I was a little disappointed with the end details. The moulded handrails are rather indistinct and malnourished particularly the horizontal one below the centre cab window, and the windscreen washer shrouds, which should stick out like Charles's ears, seem missing:

DSC_0366red.jpg.48d5406f13bb5d5ec0c4656186edc8da.jpg694356289_class31real.jpg.de4e571c81b24f9f8a94298280f3cdfc.jpg

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

To me, the body side bands on 31131 look overly prominent compared with the prototype photo as well.  Photography, particularly close up can be a cruel mistress.....

Darkening the inside of the front windscreen apertures would be a good idea I think.

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, grahame said:

Overall the proportions look and seem right. The black window surrounds (rubber grommets?) are very neatly and incredibly finely applied. But I was a little disappointed with the end details. The moulded handrails are rather indistinct and malnourished particularly the horizontal one below the centre cab window, and the windscreen washer shrouds, which should stick out like Charles's ears, seem missing:

I think the shrouds are there Grahame, they're just not as prominent as they should be. Nothing some 10thou plastic can't fix! I'd also tend to agree with you on the handrails. I understand why Farish take this approach, and I have to say I prefer this way to the scaffolding pole that adorns the front of the Dapol 66, but I'll probably replace them with wire when I eventually get around to detailing it. 

121A0DA2-8996-4AD3-8BAD-04D7A09EF5A4.jpg.cf076af2437d2d9f3c5994add08c00b9.jpg

Tom. 

Edited by TomE

• RMweb Gold

Hi Grahame,

I think you're right, but the point for me is that the model fundamentally looks like a 31 and performs well.  So it offers an excellent basis for further 'tickling' depending on the owner's discretion or skill.

cheers

Ben A.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, TomE said:

Nothing some 10thou plastic can't fix! 

1 hour ago, Ben A said:

It offers an excellent basis for further 'tickling'

Yes, maybe. Although I'll probably have a bash at making some necessary improvements, it's a shame that the manufacturer has left such finishing to the customer, particularly when there are so many N gauge modellers who are reticent to attempt making changes to expensive models or are lacking the ability to do so.

• RMweb Premium

For me the biggest let down is the etched fan with the locating tags. not IMHO as good as the previous moulded version although overall the roof is better as with several other aspects.

1412083832_RMweb3101.jpg.fd580c250d2b64f0d9dbc455382f03cf.jpg

Pity it didn't glue into place like other bits, oh hang on, on mine they keep falling off......sandboxes and footsteps on the bogies....Ah.

It does make the basis for a good model there is no doubt. The running quality is certainly superior to those that went before, none of the body wobbles the china versions had. I got fed up waiting for Farish to produce a Skinhead so....

931691119_RMweb3103.jpg.27b142bd77e104d2c2826b903ce8ddf7.jpg

As a Stratford based machine it's got an off-white roof, one of the last few to carry green. Needs a bit more weathering though. A round tuit.

One bonus is the LED for the headcode box now lights the cab...

1898115141_RMweb3104.jpg.95ecf059029664f7f1c16dac21338dc7.jpg

Izzy

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3