Strathmore

Gary704

Hi all,

The Strathmore main line was a prominent feature locally but, remarkably, seems to retain a low profile. However my specific interest is the signal boxes and level crossings, with current research concentrating on the Stanley JN to Forfar corridor. However sourcing signalling details is difficult, particularly for the later years. I have used "443shop" diagrams, but these tend to be Edwardian and have a few minor errors. can anyone help?

Gary

20 hours ago, sulzer27jd said:

Have a look here - 

I have and downloaded the Glamis and Eassie drawing. They are v. good, with the Eassie example having Forfar Rd LC featured. Something I have been looking for!

• 2 months later...

I've been wandering around on what's left of this line from Forfar to Montrose, the old signal box and station house at Auldbar is still intact, the signal box is now used as a garden room by the looks of it, bits of the old platform are still there too and of course the Bridge of Dun station is now the terminus for the Caledonian railway. There are still a few bridges in tact as well and I even found remnants from the railway crossing near Mains of Dun farm.

A number of years ago we stayed in the station house at Farnel Road which was then a B&B.   There were still traces of the platforms and the bridge abutments.  Can't recall if the signal box was still extant.  BTW, the rooms had a railway theme, being named after Thomas the Tank Characters!  i think we were in Clarabel.  I was hopeful that the ghost of 17 on the 'racer' might make an appearance,but nae luck!  :no:

Jim

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I'm interested in Ardler Junction and possibly Ardler station.  From nls maps the track layout looks quite simple at both locations.  Are there any good photos of the signal cabins and the station at Ardler? 

Was it a level crossing or a bridge at the station?

There is a building by the road/railway crossing - was taht the stationmaster house?

Thanks

Stewart

17 hours ago, JinglingGeordie said:

Hi,

I'm interested in Ardler Junction and possibly Ardler station.  From nls maps the track layout looks quite simple at both locations.  Are there any good photos of the signal cabins and the station at Ardler? 

Was it a level crossing or a bridge at the station?

There is a building by the road/railway crossing - was taht the stationmaster house?

Thanks

Stewart

Stewart the track plan was split across a level crossing, with the station on the far side from the village. There are a few photographs on Flickr and Google Images.

The Ardler Junction accident report is also available online and contains a detailed drawing of the junction and signalling.

John

Hi,

Late to this so apologies. As it may have been mentioned there are a few good pictures on "Transport Treasury". Also  NLS / Maps are tremendous. I know the area reasonably well. The Station Masters house was burnt down in the '30's and never replaced. The track plan and signals didn't change much until 1967, however there was a Refuge Siding (trailing connection) on the Up side, on the Forfar side of the LC. This was removed quite early, possibly '30's ?

A word though! The occupant of the station building (at least a couple of years ago is unfriendly). He erected a fence across the trackbed for "privacy" and denied me permission to take pics of the SB site.

Hope the link works.

Gary

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88182025@N08/albums/72157685039036783

Feb 27th 1933 Ardler Sation.jpg