Nm9 RhB modules and standards

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Ok if we did offer a square blank end as a option I think we might need to ask everyone to make at least one to make it viable as they will probably cost a little more in material than the other profiles. 
Jon if you can draw up a file I’ll pass it to Allen for a quote. 

38 minutes ago, JimFin said:

Bit of sky/cloud paper would work well.

Yes and it will be worth making up card covers for transport to protect them. A light grey is a fairly neutral colour if people don’t want to stick on backscenes or we could go for black for ‘exit stage left’ as at theatres?

16 hours ago, the Goblin said:

Thanks Martyn. Both ends of the tunnel was my fall back idea but would mean most of the module would be under a tunnel! Food for thought.

I think there are actually some practical positives for trying to keep a whole tunnel within a module - if you tried to mate two modules with their ends in tunnel then it'd be a swine to ensure you've accurately aligned the track for instance.

Plus I kinda presume people will be selectively compressing tunnels more than the open air bits*. 

The darkbox/bird box way of approaching it would allow access, so would negate those issues if you did need to have a module end in a tunnel.

(*Now waiting for the "but I was going to build the Vereina to scale" posts....) ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jim Easterbrook said:

Where are we at with this idea? I'd really like to have some end plates in my hands before I start cutting wood to make my first module.

Good point I’ve pinged an email to Allen to chase it up as he was hoping to get back to me soon and it’s a couple of months. They were only in the office on Mondays though so I guess they have been struggling with the paperwork side. 

• Like 1

On 29/07/2021 at 18:48, Jim Easterbrook said:

Where are we at with this idea? I'd really like to have some end plates in my hands before I start cutting wood to make my first module.

Jim,

If it becomes a rate determining step, if your location is correct, then you are not very far from the laser cutter I use (mid way between Richmond and Kingston), it might be possible for you to come over and collect some cut ends?

I had a look in the B&Q which is most convenient to me, and their current stock of 5mm ply looks quite good, I would need to go and re-look at the bed of the laser cutter to work out the optimum cut for B&Q to cut down an 8x4 sheet into smaller sheets that fit into the cutter. You might want to laminate 2x5mm sheets if you want thicker endplates, as I don't think a cut through 9mm would be very clean (and the store didn't have any 9mm anyway).

Jon

Hi Jon,

Not a limiting step yet - I always take a lot longer to get to the next stage of any project than I expect at first. I'd also like to help make up the numbers for an initial "bulk" order when that happens.

PS I've been disappointed by the quality of B&Q ply, and found Champion to be rather better.

• Like 1

EVERBODY is disappointed in B&Q ply, ready bowed or straight! The best thing to do is generate a cutting list for an 8x4 sheet and get in touch with Avon Ply near Bath who will quote, cut and have it delivered. My understanding is they now they can cut curves - intensionally! :laugh:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Mike Beard said:

EVERBODY is disappointed in B&Q ply, ready bowed or straight! The best thing to do is generate a cutting list for an 8x4 sheet and get in touch with Avon Ply near Bath who will quote, cut and have it delivered. My understanding is they now they can cut curves - intensionally! :laugh:

My local Sawmill (yes, a proper sawmill not a DIY store) used to stock good quality Malaysian ply, then their supplier changed source and they ended up with ready warped Chinese cr*p, which is also thinner for the same claimed thickness.

• RMweb Gold

Most local timber merchants are more consistent than DIY stores. 
This is the reason I use G&H for the laser cutting although no doubt if you have a local one that can cut by the files above that might be a viable choice too. 

Please can we keep the thread about the standards not pages of timber discussion ;)