Please Help! - Signalling advice for LMS layout

8 hours ago, ianLMS said:

I remember mum and dad owning an old tv which had a teak casing and u had to get up to change channel! 

Huh - I can recall where there was only one channel anyway - not that we owned a TV then :-)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Update. 

Double slip has now been replaced with a single slip and i have finished installing the point rodding. Pic to follow.

I assume i no longer need the junction signal before 2, just a "starter" signal at the end of the platform?

I also looked at fitting the double slip in near 22, but there isnt enough room without completely rearranging the whole good siding. Therefore i may make do with a representational catch point made from spare parts. 

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ianLMS said:

Update. 

Double slip has now been replaced with a single slip and i have finished installing the point rodding. Pic to follow.

I assume i no longer need the junction signal before 2, just a "starter" signal at the end of the platform?

I also looked at fitting the double slip in near 22, but there isnt enough room without completely rearranging the whole good siding. Therefore i may make do with a representational catch point made from spare parts. 

Agree about signal.  Perhaps I was misunderstood (or said it wrong) my suggestion was to REPLACE the point at 23 with the double slip and then have the stub line from there round parallel to the main lines for a bit to provide a (small?) head shunt - as per Embsay point 18?  It would need some of the edge your embankment removing as far as I can see from the photos.

• RMweb Gold

My mistake as I referenced 22 not 23. When lining up the double slip from point 22,  it would require significant changes to the follow on points as they dont line up. This would also mean moving the Goods shed aswell. Something to consider in the future, but will probably hold off for now.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the confirmation. I am currently building a couple of the Comet LMS brass signal kits. On my layout, would there be a need for the diamond plate on the signal and if so, which ones? The info online seems to indicate that i wouldn't, but wanted to confirm with the experts on here who have helped my so much already.

Thanks again

Ian

Provision of a 'Rule 55' diamond  (or not) would depend upon factors such as the method of block working and whether any track-circuits or treadles existed in the rear of the relevant signals. Beyond that, I'm not an expert on LMS practice.....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, imt said:

Agree about signal.  Perhaps I was misunderstood (or said it wrong) my suggestion was to REPLACE the point at 23 with the double slip and then have the stub line from there round parallel to the main lines for a bit to provide a (small?) head shunt - as per Embsay point 18?  It would need some of the edge your embankment removing as far as I can see from the photos.

If you look at the layout photos it is not practical to just replace the point with a double slip as the point is the wrong hand for such simple replacement.

Rgds

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Latest progress on the revised track layout and signals. I have made an attempt to portray point modelling using components from DCC concepts and Wizard, built a couple of MSE round post signals and ground signals and placed them according to the plans kindly drawn up earlier in this thread. I have also made an attempt to create a couple of catch points using spare parts and fitted point levers on the points not being operated via the signal box. Not great, but they are just representational and the best I could do. I am also cabling up the signals using pulley wheels etc.  Again, may not be exactly right, but I will be ok with the end result. Three more signals on the workbench and hopefully I will be ready to ballast soon.

20190513_070214_resized.jpg

20190513_070222_resized.jpg

20190513_070240_resized.jpg

20190513_070351_resized.jpg

20190513_070429_resized.jpg

20190513_070636_resized.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 2

Looking more the part now :-)

One thing - if the trap at bottom right near the signal-box is not going to be any longer, or lead to some sort of spur, then IMHO the exit shunt should be red not yellow, as there is no other route to use other than out onto the main line.

• Agree 1

You have overdone the hand point levers a bit, the trap points would be operated from the signal box on the same lever as the main line point they are protecting so should not have hand levers. Agree with Rail West above for the yellow arm, I would extend the spur a little, space for one wagon is enough, to justify the yellow arm, which was what I intended on my sketch, but you could equally leave the track as is and paint the disc red.

It is looking good otherwise.

Rgds

Edited by Grovenor
spelling

You do need to decide also whether you are going to have LQ or UQ shunt signals (or both). At the moment, judging from the relative sizes and colours of the spectacle holes, what you have there would seem to be LQ, but apparently with a tendency to go UQ ....:-)

1 hour ago, RailWest said:

You do need to decide also whether you are going to have LQ or UQ shunt signals (or both). At the moment, judging from the relative sizes and colours of the spectacle holes, what you have there would seem to be LQ, but apparently with a tendency to go UQ ....:-)

The LMSR, GWR and SR all used LQ shunt dollies, but the LNER (and at least some of its constituents) used UQ ones - and knowing that may help you to rationalise your decision on which way the ones on your layout should turn.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all again. Pleae excuse my ignorance, but would you be able to explain LQ and UQ. I will remove the hand lever and operate from the signal box for the trap point and probably paint the signal red.

• RMweb Gold

Ah ok. Thank you. The post signals i got from Wizard are UQ. The disc ground ones are the LMS 1934 type again from wizard and were built following their instructions. For the twin disc, i just cut one down and soldered it on top. I will check as i think i have a couple set the wrong way (UQ). Shouldn't be too difficult to change. Simple now u pointed it out. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Since the last post i have finshed building and installing the signals, changed the ground ones to LQ, finished the point rodding and signal wires, re-ballasted the track and made a start weathering it. 

20190605_181917.jpg

20190605_181802.jpg

20190605_181741.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1