Bachmann 009 Quarry Hunslet

Phil Parker

They can get a chippable motor into that but can't do the Farish J72, unless of course the plan is with additional time available do the 0-4-0 first then use that as the basis for another shot at the J72.

The dumb buffers are too short ,probably would foul if they lined up with the coupling though

Drool, drool - what a superb model. I'm really a diesel man but will find an excuse for one of these if they run as good as they look. It will be interesting to see whether this is the same chassis, (minus conn rods of course), that will be used under the Baguley-Drewry diesel loco. HC

Edited by happyChappy

These look stunning. If I was wavering whether to move properly into OO9 and build a proper layout I’m not wavering anymore! 

Will these look out of place/scale (I’m not a purist so it’s not essential) if run with the Bachmann WD Baldwin’s?

I’m guessing we’re looking at 2020 though before they appear in the shops? 

Greg

That looks like it is going to be a stunning model. Thanks for sharing Phil. 

Well done to Bachmann for continue to expand their range and throw their weight behind 009 scale. It really is a massive boon for narrow gauge modelling and the scale would appear to have a huge future. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, RateTheFreight said:

Will these look out of place/scale (I’m not a purist so it’s not essential) if run with the Bachmann WD Baldwin’s?

Same scale but I can’t think of anywhere they crossed in working days but 778 has run alongside them in preservation.

On 26/03/2019 at 19:29, RateTheFreight said:

These look stunning. If I was wavering whether to move properly into OO9 and build a proper layout I’m not wavering anymore! 

I’m guessing we’re looking at 2020 though before they appear in the shops? 

Greg

There was a close prototype. Around 1919 or so The Penrhyn Railway bought 3 war-surplus Baldwin 2-6-2s with the aim of relieving the strain on its 3 mainline Hunslet locos (Blanche and Linda now of the Ffestiniog Railway and Charles now at  Penrhyn Castle). Both the quarry end and the harbour end of the Penrhyn railway had many quarry Hunslets so the Baldwins would certainly have worked alongside them, albeit with different duties. Unfortunately, the Baldwins were not a success on the Penrhyn. 2 were scrapped and 1 exported to Australia where it enjoyed a successful and long life. This loco has been brought back to Europe, restored to steam, and now operates in France.

So, although no Baldwin 4-6-0 worked alongside quarry Hunslets it is certainly plausible to have them operating together on a freelance layout.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, colin smith said:

There was a close prototype. Around 1919 or so The Penrhyn Railway bought 3 war-surplus Baldwin 2-6-2s with the aim of relieving the strain on its 3 mainline Hunslet locos (Blanche and Linda now of the Ffestiniog Railway and Charles now at  Penrhyn Castle). Both the quarry end and the harbour end of the Penrhyn railway had many quarry Hunslets so the Baldwins would certainly have worked alongside them, albeit with different duties. Unfortunately, the Baldwins were not a success on the Penrhyn. 2 were scrapped and 1 exported to Australia where it enjoyed a successful and long life. This loco has been brought back to Europe, restored to steam, and now operates in France.

So, although no Baldwin 4-6-0 worked alongside quarry Hunslets it is certainly plausible to have them operating together on a freelance layout.

Thanks for the info Colin. 

Is there any info on why the Baldwin’s weren’t a success at the Penrhyn? 

Greg

19 hours ago, RateTheFreight said:

Thanks for the info Colin. 

Is there any info on why the Baldwin’s weren’t a success at the Penrhyn? 

Greg

Not much. There doesn't seem to have been anything wrong with the locos, given one of them worked for many years in Australia. One problem, I believe, is the Hunslets were usually driven and fired by one person while the Baldwins needed a driver and fireman. 

People on this Facebook group know a lot more than me Narrow Gauge Enthusiasts Group

• Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, Stoker said:

The question isn't "am I going to buy one?", the question is "what theme will my narrow gauge layout be, tin mine or china clay works?".

Assuming you're after a Cornish setting then granite (Penlee Quarry Railway) and slate (Delabole Quarry) are also options.

1 hour ago, colin smith said:

Assuming you're after a Cornish setting then granite (Penlee Quarry Railway) and slate (Delabole Quarry) are also options.

Delabole actually had a quarry Hunslet, there's a photo of it in Maurice Dart's "Cornwall Narrow Gauge". Alas I've never really had any interest in either Delabole or Penlee.

Might start out with a micro-layout of the little known Hendra Tramway at the loading wharf along Quarry Close siding on the Parkandillack branch. In reality it was worked by an ex-war department Simplex, but that's what modellers license is for.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, didcot said:

Do we know if they will be dcc ready? I can't find anything on the Bachman site to suggest one way or another.

Thanks

Matt 

In the 2019 catalogue, the Quarry Hunslet range is shown as 6-pin DCC ready.  HTH.