Bachmann 009 Quarry Hunslet

Phil Parker

• RMweb Premium

I  have been looking at the Bachmann instructions leaflet included with the "Charles" l recently acquired. I notice that there's a sketch showing the removal of the front pony wheels "should the model be fitted with them" 

Does this mean that there is a 2-4-0 version of "Linda" and/or "Blanche" in the pipe line, if so has there been any release dates mentioned ?

Bob C

2 hours ago, Blobrick said:

I  have been looking at the Bachmann instructions leaflet included with the "Charles" l recently acquired. I notice that there's a sketch showing the removal of the front pony wheels "should the model be fitted with them" 

Does this mean that there is a 2-4-0 version of "Linda" and/or "Blanche" in the pipe line, if so has there been any release dates mentioned ?

Bob C

None have been announced yet but I would thought it would make sense for hachmann to tool up every version possible from the start.

I would imagine they could be the next major announcement.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 14/05/2023 at 23:23, LittleRedTrain said:

Rails called me yesterday about the three I'd returned.

Unfortunately the replacement Alice and Dorothea they were going to send me exhibited exactly the same 'sticking' issues as mine (and they didn't have a Britomart in stock).
They've agreed to send them on to Bachmann's service department to hopefully beat into shape! Fingers crossed they are able to sort them out.

Received Alice and Dorothea back from Bachmann (via Rails of Sheffield) a couple of weeks ago, but didn't have a chance to check them until today due to holidays.
The service report for both from Bachmann was 'No fault found.' It's hard to tell but the running seemed marginally better after they'd been looked at, however, still not up to the standard I'd hope for from a 2023 model. Dorothea still worse then Alice.

No suggestion from Bachmann that they accept that there's a fundamental flaw somewhere in the design or have any plans to improve it, despite the widespread reports of problems.
In an ideal word they'd be issuing a recall and supplying replacement chassis, but somehow I can't see that happening so I guess we'll just have to live with it!

Unfortunately Britomart (the worst performing of the three) was found to have an additional motor fault, but neither Rails nor Bachmann had a replacement in stock, so I've had to accept a refund and keep a lookout for another one elsewhere!

Thanks go to Rails, who did their best to resolve this for me and kept me well informed. It's just a shame what should have been a real triumph from Bachmann has turned out into a bit of a disappointment.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Picking up on the earlier observation by Giles concerning improved running with graphite applied to the track, I also found that my Alice greatly benefited from this. It would run very smoothly (on DC) until asked to stop and change direction, at which point it was prone to sticking. The graphite more or less eliminated this at a stroke. It's become my go-to treatment for getting reliable running in N and 009. A single graphite stick will last a very long time as you only need tiny amounts to make a difference.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...

I think the demand is there given the prices some go for on eBay (Britomart's seem to be fetching up to and over £200) and it's about 15/16 months since they were released so another batch this year some time is probably feasible given likely time between ordering from a factory and delivery and hopefully likely.

• RMweb Premium

There don’t seem to be many places left that have them in stock from the first run. 

I’ve been idly contemplating an ‘Alice’ for a while but I can’t find one to buy online despite trawling through several pages of search results. 

Whether that means a second run is likely is anyone’s guess. Presumably there are a fair few liveries/configurations not yet catered for?

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Presumably there are a fair few liveries/configurations not yet catered for?

I think that at some point someone did a list of the liveries/configs that these models could be used for, and there were a few options Bachmann could do in the future.

3 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I think that at some point someone did a list of the liveries/configs that these models could be used for, and there were a few options Bachmann could do in the future.

It's virtually endless if you allow for innacuracies or go 'generic'. 

The 4 Penrhyn Hunslets are available from existing tooling. 3 Pen yr Orsedd locos (quarry condition) need only a little mixing of existing bits (and ideally a retooled cab with no coaling doors). Irish Mail as delivered could be achieved from a similar mixing of bits. The Dinorwic locos are all a bit unique so would need much more work for accurate models, there is as yet no early frame style for example. All require Sandpots as an option.

Edited by Quarryscapes

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrTea said:

Whether that means a second run is likely is anyone’s guess. Presumably there are a fair few liveries/configurations not yet catered for?

Well we’ve seen three separate releases of the large Hunslet since introduction and there was at least one quarter with none so I’d put a bet on more fairly soon. Fourdees have also done a load of alternative bodies using the chassis, which accounts for quite a few sales, so there appears to be a decent market for them. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Well we’ve seen three separate releases of the large Hunslet since introduction and there was at least one quarter with none so I’d put a bet on more fairly soon. Fourdees have also done a load of alternative bodies using the chassis, which accounts for quite a few sales, so there appears to be a decent market for them. 

Interestingly a friend at Porthmadog back in October noticed on release day of the 2-4-0TT green versions of the large Hunslets that the codes on the box suggested that all the variants of the model had come off the production line at the same time and the later versions may have been sitting in the warehouse a long time waiting on the release date.

Martin C

Edited by mcowgill
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bit of a disaster when de-naming a Dorothea to fit custom plates, the varnish I had temporarily used must have lifted the green underneath when I started to remove the printed name with IPA. Does anyone know of a good match for the green because ideally I'd like a centrally mounted plate and the theme for the layout is a bit of an estate railway so judicious weathering to cover it won't be possible....

PXL_20240418_1114407332.jpg.80fd02520880e0b3d7ea5e7c811c1356.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 4