Manning Wardle "Old I" and "K" classes

hartleymartin

If you can find them the 3 volumes of Fred Harmans MW books have many photos of the locomotives from Boyne works along with some drawings.  The list of locomotives has been digitised and are available in the database in my Leeds Engine site (link in footer).

Wheel patterns seemed to change based upon the date built.  We have 2 L class locos in Leeds (at Middleton) that are both different.  Sir B is cabless double boss wheels whereas Matthew Murray has full cab and conventional style wheels.  Much of the engineering design dates back to EB Wilson locos and these can be seen on the frames of the loco at Armley Mills.

On 28/03/2019 at 12:13, hartleymartin said:

I always forget about "Possum" because it is an unusual example - certainly quite different from the others.

http://www.australiansteam.com/Possum.htm

I flipped through the Compendium and found it interesting to note that the standard load for the old I class manning waddles on the Blacktown to Richmond line was four 4-wheel carriages plus break van. Considering the line had 1 in 30 grades and the locos only had brake blocks acting on the rear axle, it must have been quite a ride!

Possum was originally named Cyclops and was built in 1912 and worked at Vickers at  Barrow in Furness.  A very powerful engine for an 0-4-0ST.

• RMweb Premium

For what it's worth, the S&D kits are now cast in lead-free pewter, non-toxic to work with but I've yet to try soldering it. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

A bit of thread necromancy. I was still working on this, but world events at the start of 2020 (the name of which shall not be spoken) conspired to force me to put this endeavor aside.

I was looking for the three Manning Wardle books by Fred Harman, but Vol 2, the standard gauge book seems to be unobtainium for some reason.

Things have settled down for me a bit so I can start looking into it all again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/08/2021 at 02:45, hartleymartin said:

A bit of thread necromancy. I was still working on this, but world events at the start of 2020 (the name of which shall not be spoken) conspired to force me to put this endeavor aside.

I was looking for the three Manning Wardle books by Fred Harman, but Vol 2, the standard gauge book seems to be unobtainium for some reason.

Things have settled down for me a bit so I can start looking into it all again.

I have his works list volume.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that might account for it. It is a quite early shot so perhaps it was a problem at the time for either the fellow on the left footplate is very heavily bearded or has a scarf/mask on. I did think he was a time traveller from the present for a moment (!). Looks like the tunnel behind had been shaped for the chimney………Given the number hitching a ride you have to wonder if it was an inaugural run considering the dress of most.

On 15/09/2021 at 19:53, doilum said:

Possibly due to the use of open carriages / open cab?

The chimneys were extended in the 1870s with the introduction of American style end-platform carriages. Otherwise, the smoke and soot would gather under the end platform and get into the carriages via the doors and windows.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Some further research has turned up some interesting facts.

The Old I Class that the NSW railways ordered were in fact the first step in the evolution towards the K Class. Works numbers 88, 89 of 1863 (and 109 of 1864) were the first of the Old I class to be built with boilers 6" longer, which necessitated increasing the wheel spacing between the 2nd and 3rd axles by 6" giving the wheelbase of what would become the K Class. In fact, the distinction is blurred since this increase in length by 6" is the only visible distinction. The fact is that the cylinders were typically 11x17" on the Old I and 12x17" on the K class, but lots of Old I were supplied with 12x17" cylinders.

In fact, records show that Old I Class "Pioneer" (32/1861) was later refitted with the larger cylinders in 1879. In fact this locomotive received numerous modifications and was reboilered at least twice in its lifetime, and had a heavy overhaul as late as about 1920.

A photo previous posted in this thread showing a locomotive numbered 19 is the subject of ongoing historical investigations as the accepted historical record of its identity may in fact be very wrong.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2