Ally Pally - class 24 photos +

D6975

• D6975 changed the title to Ally Pally - class 24 photos +
50 minutes ago, D1051 said:

The model on display had a “ duel” identity 

Does not surprise me, the catalogue model only shows one front and side, so why not use the other half for another version to be photographed. Keeps costs down as only one sample is needed and saves painting paits not required on the sample, the roof would be fully done I am guessing to avoid any harsh lines visible if only painting half.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, D6975 said:

A few shots from the display cabinets at Ally Pally

P1000192.JPG.502b2c9f77caeb6889ab8d0bf0789841.JPGP1000207.JPG.0adb2decfcea44348bf00742b5e54f19.JPGP1000206.JPG.742e2006f2e439fb18d1a05942522361.JPGP1000199.JPG.610624619c9a2643ae02bdb26a599e34.JPGP1000196.JPG.6128babcf13fe7d12702d50b357ce52c.JPG

Thank you for posting the photos. It's very much appreciated. 

Brilliant to see that Bachmann are already showing livery samples of a few models that I am interested in including 37424/37558, 37669 and 66789. Of which the latter two models were only announced two months ago in January! Keep up the good work Bachmann. 

4 hours ago, D1051 said:

The model on display had a “ duel” identity 

25CC26A6-3BDB-4598-B110-211CF32D52B5.jpeg

I know there has been some aggro between model manufacturers recently but I didn't realise it had reached 'pistols at dawn' stage !

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

It would have been better to have done 24 137 with proper headcodes rather than 0O00 as it would only have run with the blinds set thus between January 1976 and going into store in May 1976, which was followed by withdrawal in July of that year. It gained its TOPS number in April 1974 but headcode displays were not abolished until 1/1/76, when they were set to 0O00.

Edited by robertcwp
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm liking the look of 24137 , buffer beam detail looks finer to my eyes. Wouldn't be difficult to carry that detail set across to other diesels. The cl40 is crying out for finer jumper cables. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

The 24 is a fantastic looking jumping-off point for the Highland Baby Sulzers.  Cut tablet catcher recesses, add after-market brass over the boiler grilles, and inset Morris Minor headlights into the doors and you're there!  Looking forward to getting my hooves on these.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

The 24 is a fantastic looking jumping-off point for the Highland Baby Sulzers.  Cut tablet catcher recesses, add after-market brass over the boiler grilles, and inset Morris Minor headlights into the doors and you're there!  Looking forward to getting my hooves on these.

A lot of work and extra cost, I'm quite happy to wait for an SLW  sound fitted proper Highland version 24/1 confident it will every bit as good as their 24...if not better......

• Agree 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

In the cabinet at York, I always think the hand painted versions look better than the factory finishes.

BE8B5F75-E192-4DAA-AF4D-712A1A253478.jpeg.46ae37a7a1af92959db50f5bab5e70a8.jpeg

The colour separations are always sharper  - shows well on this and the green version photo at Ally Pally. Mind you this pales into insignificance when you think how different some of Hornby's box covers are to the colour of the contents within!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Norton961 said:

At least they have made a good job of the radiator grill, this is the one area where the SLW one is sadly deficient. The rest of the model is excellent but the grill is awaful.

Lordy, you can’t honestly say it is awful. Not my photo: 2015.3815+-+SLW+Class+24+-+26.12.15.jpg

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Lordy, you can’t honestly say it is awful. Not my photo: 2015.3815+-+SLW+Class+24+-+26.12.15.jpg

Roy

It could never be described that. Might not be absolutely perfect in every way, but it is more than acceptable for me, and definitely not awful. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, 66738 said:

It could never be described that. Might not be absolutely perfect in every way, but it is more than acceptable for me, and definitely not awful. 

The forthcoming SLW models will have improved radiator grilles, glazing and clips on the bogies to help align the piping.

13 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

The forthcoming SLW models will have improved radiator grilles, glazing and clips on the bogies to help align the piping.

Really looking forward to the SLW Derby RTC example arriving. Would have been more than happy for it to have the same quality grill as seen on D5000 but if it’s improved to be even better? Then great stuff.

Incidently, the SLW stand at York last weekend indicated that the new batch of 24’s are now expected in the summer.

At least they have made a good job of the radiator grill, this is the one area where the SLW one is sadly deficient. The rest of the model is excellent but the grill is awaful.

Why it’s awfull is the 3 vertical bars, on the outside of the grill, not visible on the prototype! I have written a book on the Class 24s  and 25s and have hundreds of photos and non show 3 vertical bars on the grill. Otherwise an excellent model.

33 minutes ago, Norton961 said:

Why it’s awfull is the 3 vertical bars, on the outside of the grill, not visible on the prototype! I have written a book on the Class 24s  and 25s and have hundreds of photos and non show 3 vertical bars on the grill. Otherwise an excellent model.

5000shrew.jpg.7a8d0cd4268b0ae739f092adea9c32cc.jpg

I see what you mean about the grille being awful. 

I wonder which photo they were looking at when they designed that model? 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Norton961 said:

Ok, they are not so visible on the prototype, but they are there.

See:50005049shrewsbury1969BW.jpg

Again, not my photo. 

Roy

It looks to me as though those verticals pass behind the bodyside framing diagonal. I'd say they're part of the radiator

panel, or its ducting.

The Nim.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Nimbus said:

It looks to me as though those verticals pass behind the bodyside framing diagonal. I'd say they're part of the radiator

panel, or its ducting.

The Nim.

There was a big discussion when the SLW Class 24 first came out, they are on the back of the radiator grill slats. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

I will dare to post on this subject, the three metal strips are there to support the grill slats due to vibration and to stop them falling apart as they are not steel like on the 25s

http://www.theaylesburynews.com/images/D5054 Crewe 10-9-05.jpg

https://24081locogroup.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/5/5/11554113/8358926_orig.jpg

• Agree 1

On 24/04/2019 at 09:01, Michael Delamar said:

In the cabinet at York, I always think the hand painted versions look better than the factory finishes.

BE8B5F75-E192-4DAA-AF4D-712A1A253478.jpeg.46ae37a7a1af92959db50f5bab5e70a8.jpeg

What struck me when I saw this on Saturday was the extremely poor main fan grill on the roof. Maybe it will be replace by an etched version in the final model?