Why don't Bachmann produce Gresley A3s

DonnyRailMan

35 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Which comes with increased production costs.

If realistic haulage and detailing were the main factors then i'm sure most locos would be a lot heavier than they are - but they would also have to sell at higher prices to recoup the costs

Do you see any evidence within any individual manufacturer's range of significantly higher pricing for the (desireably) heavier models? Goodness knows what the in and outs of each business' pricing model may be, but I feel it would be unlikely that there is much if any correlation of RRP with Mazak content.

It's a whole separate case when a manufacturer - such as Accurascale -  elects for a material change. That will have a different cost structure. But this is being done for a specific reason relating to internal detail and provision for sound fit. Those of us wanting heavier steam models with no scope for internal detail which also happen to have  a tender capacious enough to provide for the sound fad, can typically get all the traction required if the manufacturer uses lots of relatively cheap Mazak.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Do you see any evidence within any individual manufacturer's range of significantly higher pricing for the (desireably) heavier models? Goodness knows what the in and outs of each business' pricing model may be, but I feel it would be unlikely that there is much if any correlation of RRP with Mazak content.

No but thats not the point.

With small locomotives manufacturers have no choice but to squeeze as much weight in there as possible just to make them usable but on larger ones provided it can handle typical trainset sized coaching rakes then that will be deemed enough.

Just to give a random example, the Adams radial produced my Hornby probably has the same amount of Mazzak in it as a Gresley A3, but in the Adams that Mazzak is not restricted to the chassis block - you get die cast footplates and metal boilers etc. On the other hand many such details on the A3 are plastic when in reality they could also be metal to increase the tractive weight.

Its also worth noting that if the metal is 'on show' so to speak then the moulds are probably finer and more complicated to make than a simple lump as it were.

Therefore more metal features is likely it increase the cost to produce the model and while it may not seem like much this will factor through to higher prices in the shops.

• RMweb Premium

If Bachmann thought there was good mileage in producing an A3 then they would have done it by now.  I suggest that Hattons are the manufacturer more likely to spoil Hornby’s monopoly, if their O gauge model is well received.

Rather than produce a ‘me too’ A3,  I would much rather Bachmann focussed on getting on top of their existing new product back catalogue.... which is what they are doing this year.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4